No announcement yet.

Aeon: Reconciling 1st Edition Lore with 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve never read this far back but I’ve heard that in the very earliest version of the game before they changed the name to Trinity there was like a mini Aberrant explosion around 1970 that later got dropped from the setting. Does anyone know anything about this?

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
      I’ve never read this far back but I’ve heard that in the very earliest version of the game before they changed the name to Trinity there was like a mini Aberrant explosion around 1970 that later got dropped from the setting. Does anyone know anything about this?
      Not Aberrants specifically, but yes. It persisted throughout all three printings of the 1st edition rulebook, and wasn't dropped until the d20 edition.

That text is the only mention of anything particularly unusual happening in 1970.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager
      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

IanWatson thank you.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Well, White Wolf back then really liked the grittiness, so adding tension and issues of incompetence were key in their world designs. I see pros and cons to both approaches and I don't mind the new setting at all. I was just more sad that I had all this content in the past that's basically non-canon now. Even Vampire V5 made changes to the *present* setting rather than re-write history, so I still have a trove of lore to work with.

Personally, I would LOVE to have played through the whole Darkness Revealed trilogy. And yes, as others have stated, I absolutely still can if I use the old 'timeline'. But I generally like embracing changes when new editions/versions are introduced, so I guess I'll just wait to see what new sourcebooks and adventures come up with.

Comment

The approach they are planning for Trinity Continuum is much like CoD and not oWoD, as the books will set everything on year 0 with no Meta plot.

It means the setting is up to you to evolve, and the supplements will have suggestions but will not advance the plot by any means. Even “new extra solar colonies” will all be presented in 2123, so you don’t require to follow a certain plot to be able to play that one adventure, future adventures will all make sense on the present status quo of the setting, and you may need to adapt a bit if you have changed too much the setting during the campaign.

I like this approach, it’s more about a setting than a plot, you don’t need to follow anything to use the rest, just pick what you like and play. But of course I see that it may make a long term campaign a bit harder to thicken the plot, as nothing will cover the changes.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB View Post
              So I'm curious what your take on this is as this is the first time I've seen this in any ANY TTRPG hopping editions.

I'm reading through the TC: Aeon book, and while I absolutely love the Psi and Modes mechanics in this edition, I'm noticing some pretty important changes to the lore, notably where the orders are concerned.

Case in point - The Aesculapian Order:

1st Edition: Zweidler assisted in founding the Montressor Clinic in 2086 (which he took over in 2088), which then later became the Aesculapian Order when psions became a thing in the early 22nd century. Zweidler is fairly insular and somewhat selfish in that he cares only about his pet projects and strongly dislikes managing anything, and hence leaves all that in the hands of individuals like Monaghan, Delemont, and Beitz ... the latter who is at the head of the infamous Huang-Marr consipiracy, a MAJOR story arc in 1st Ed. He barely tolerates the spiritualist branch of the order as he is a cold man of science, but accepts they are doing good and so let's it slide despite his frequent arguments with the head of the Port au Prince clinic.

2nd Edition: Aesculapian Order founded right after the Aberrant War, which Zweidler takes over in 2086. Deeply passionate and an experienced emergency room physician (as opposed to a medical researcher and specialized surgeon).No mention at all of the Huang-Marr conspiracy or ANY of the management figures listed in Shattered Europe. Zweidler's second in command is Magalie Alcine, a bit of a spiritualist type that never existed at all until 2nd Ed, and to whom old Zweidler would likely not have given much power unless she totally renounced traditional folk medicine and moved to Basil.

The problem here, and the part that REALLY bothers me, is that many of these changes are pretty much invalidating all the 1st Ed sourcebooks I own, with the massive wealth of information and lore available in them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and loves the old sourcebooks, either in dead tree or PDF format. I don't actually know why Onyx Path chose to change the lore and history from 1st Edition, especially given the trove of information, including online, available to them to work with.

So say you're GMing a game of 2nd Ed TC:Aeon, how do you handle this? Do you just ignore the new lore and keep using the old one (problematic if you have players who've only been exposed to 2nd Ed)? Do you just use the new lore and discard anything not found or hinted at in the new edition (including the amazing three book Darkness Revealed adventures)? Or do you do a mix of both by using the new lore, but using stuff from the old books to fill in the gaps?
              What others have said. Basically Trinity:Continuum takes place in Universe (Multiverse?) A while Old Trinity took place in Universe/Multiverse B.

Comment

Working...
              X