X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KarlB
    started a topic Aeon: Reconciling 1st Edition Lore with 2nd Edition

Aeon: Reconciling 1st Edition Lore with 2nd Edition

So I'm curious what your take on this is as this is the first time I've seen this in any ANY TTRPG hopping editions.

I'm reading through the TC: Aeon book, and while I absolutely love the Psi and Modes mechanics in this edition, I'm noticing some pretty important changes to the lore, notably where the orders are concerned.

Case in point - The Aesculapian Order:

1st Edition: Zweidler assisted in founding the Montressor Clinic in 2086 (which he took over in 2088), which then later became the Aesculapian Order when psions became a thing in the early 22nd century. Zweidler is fairly insular and somewhat selfish in that he cares only about his pet projects and strongly dislikes managing anything, and hence leaves all that in the hands of individuals like Monaghan, Delemont, and Beitz ... the latter who is at the head of the infamous Huang-Marr consipiracy, a MAJOR story arc in 1st Ed. He barely tolerates the spiritualist branch of the order as he is a cold man of science, but accepts they are doing good and so let's it slide despite his frequent arguments with the head of the Port au Prince clinic.

2nd Edition: Aesculapian Order founded right after the Aberrant War, which Zweidler takes over in 2086. Deeply passionate and an experienced emergency room physician (as opposed to a medical researcher and specialized surgeon).No mention at all of the Huang-Marr conspiracy or ANY of the management figures listed in Shattered Europe. Zweidler's second in command is Magalie Alcine, a bit of a spiritualist type that never existed at all until 2nd Ed, and to whom old Zweidler would likely not have given much power unless she totally renounced traditional folk medicine and moved to Basil.

The problem here, and the part that REALLY bothers me, is that many of these changes are pretty much invalidating all the 1st Ed sourcebooks I own, with the massive wealth of information and lore available in them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and loves the old sourcebooks, either in dead tree or PDF format. I don't actually know why Onyx Path chose to change the lore and history from 1st Edition, especially given the trove of information, including online, available to them to work with.

So say you're GMing a game of 2nd Ed TC:Aeon, how do you handle this? Do you just ignore the new lore and keep using the old one (problematic if you have players who've only been exposed to 2nd Ed)? Do you just use the new lore and discard anything not found or hinted at in the new edition (including the amazing three book Darkness Revealed adventures)? Or do you do a mix of both by using the new lore, but using stuff from the old books to fill in the gaps?

• johntfs
    replied
    Originally posted by KarlB View Post
    So I'm curious what your take on this is as this is the first time I've seen this in any ANY TTRPG hopping editions.

I'm reading through the TC: Aeon book, and while I absolutely love the Psi and Modes mechanics in this edition, I'm noticing some pretty important changes to the lore, notably where the orders are concerned.

Case in point - The Aesculapian Order:

1st Edition: Zweidler assisted in founding the Montressor Clinic in 2086 (which he took over in 2088), which then later became the Aesculapian Order when psions became a thing in the early 22nd century. Zweidler is fairly insular and somewhat selfish in that he cares only about his pet projects and strongly dislikes managing anything, and hence leaves all that in the hands of individuals like Monaghan, Delemont, and Beitz ... the latter who is at the head of the infamous Huang-Marr consipiracy, a MAJOR story arc in 1st Ed. He barely tolerates the spiritualist branch of the order as he is a cold man of science, but accepts they are doing good and so let's it slide despite his frequent arguments with the head of the Port au Prince clinic.

2nd Edition: Aesculapian Order founded right after the Aberrant War, which Zweidler takes over in 2086. Deeply passionate and an experienced emergency room physician (as opposed to a medical researcher and specialized surgeon).No mention at all of the Huang-Marr conspiracy or ANY of the management figures listed in Shattered Europe. Zweidler's second in command is Magalie Alcine, a bit of a spiritualist type that never existed at all until 2nd Ed, and to whom old Zweidler would likely not have given much power unless she totally renounced traditional folk medicine and moved to Basil.

The problem here, and the part that REALLY bothers me, is that many of these changes are pretty much invalidating all the 1st Ed sourcebooks I own, with the massive wealth of information and lore available in them. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has and loves the old sourcebooks, either in dead tree or PDF format. I don't actually know why Onyx Path chose to change the lore and history from 1st Edition, especially given the trove of information, including online, available to them to work with.

So say you're GMing a game of 2nd Ed TC:Aeon, how do you handle this? Do you just ignore the new lore and keep using the old one (problematic if you have players who've only been exposed to 2nd Ed)? Do you just use the new lore and discard anything not found or hinted at in the new edition (including the amazing three book Darkness Revealed adventures)? Or do you do a mix of both by using the new lore, but using stuff from the old books to fill in the gaps?
    What others have said. Basically Trinity:Continuum takes place in Universe (Multiverse?) A while Old Trinity took place in Universe/Multiverse B.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The approach they are planning for Trinity Continuum is much like CoD and not oWoD, as the books will set everything on year 0 with no Meta plot.

It means the setting is up to you to evolve, and the supplements will have suggestions but will not advance the plot by any means. Even “new extra solar colonies” will all be presented in 2123, so you don’t require to follow a certain plot to be able to play that one adventure, future adventures will all make sense on the present status quo of the setting, and you may need to adapt a bit if you have changed too much the setting during the campaign.

I like this approach, it’s more about a setting than a plot, you don’t need to follow anything to use the rest, just pick what you like and play. But of course I see that it may make a long term campaign a bit harder to thicken the plot, as nothing will cover the changes.

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    Well, White Wolf back then really liked the grittiness, so adding tension and issues of incompetence were key in their world designs. I see pros and cons to both approaches and I don't mind the new setting at all. I was just more sad that I had all this content in the past that's basically non-canon now. Even Vampire V5 made changes to the *present* setting rather than re-write history, so I still have a trove of lore to work with.

Personally, I would LOVE to have played through the whole Darkness Revealed trilogy. And yes, as others have stated, I absolutely still can if I use the old 'timeline'. But I generally like embracing changes when new editions/versions are introduced, so I guess I'll just wait to see what new sourcebooks and adventures come up with.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    IanWatson thank you.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I’ve never read this far back but I’ve heard that in the very earliest version of the game before they changed the name to Trinity there was like a mini Aberrant explosion around 1970 that later got dropped from the setting. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Not Aberrants specifically, but yes. It persisted throughout all three printings of the 1st edition rulebook, and wasn't dropped until the d20 edition.

That text is the only mention of anything particularly unusual happening in 1970.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I’ve never read this far back but I’ve heard that in the very earliest version of the game before they changed the name to Trinity there was like a mini Aberrant explosion around 1970 that later got dropped from the setting. Does anyone know anything about this?

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Originally posted by NewK View Post

I just wish to say: Thank you. Thank you for making me feel so. Very. Old.

My personal take on the original setting is there was a little too much focus on conspiracies. I prefer the new version where yes, there are secrets and dangers, but the overall outlook is more optimistic.
    I’ve read a little of the old version and I prefer the current more optimistic outlook too.

Leave a comment:

• NewK
    replied
    Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

But those books are over 20 years old right now. The final published Trinity book was in December 2001. Trinity 1e's rulebook went from conception to publication within about 9 months to fill a gap in the production schedule, and then a separate superhero pitch Rob Hatch had made was bolted on as Aberrant. The old WW crew did a fantastic job given those constraints, to be sure, but there are things they didn't get right, and changes we want to make with the benefit of those extra 20 years. Keeping beholden to the 1e version of events would be more of a hindrance to us now. They're an excellent jumping-off point, but again, that's not the story we're telling this time.
    I just wish to say: Thank you. Thank you for making me feel so. Very. Old.

My personal take on the original setting is there was a little too much focus on conspiracies. I prefer the new version where yes, there are secrets and dangers, but the overall outlook is more optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• andrewm9
    replied
    I think historically the game was well developed from Aberrant to Trinity. I have to say I love the orginal Aberrant game warts and all. I've been running my game usign those rules off and on before Trinity Continuum was on the horizon. I drew heavily off fan material from EON and rpgpost and it grew organically. I am now preparing to move up to the Aberrant War and I have even started a Trinity: Aeon game based off the Aberrant history I have developed. Despite this I am not moving my Aberrant game to the new version as it won't click well. I'd have to bolt on too many things to make it work.

I honestly can't wait until my Trinity PC's meet my other game's nova characters (now all int eh century plus age category). Its bound to be interesting and possibly explosive.

Leave a comment:

• Daredevil
    replied
    Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
    and then a separate superhero pitch Rob Hatch had made was bolted on as Aberrant. The old WW crew did a fantastic job given those constraints, to be sure, but there are things they didn't get right, and changes we want to make with the benefit of those extra 20 years.
    I am madly curious how that pitch looked at first, & what the game might have been if developed seperetly from the Aeon setting.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    So given the change in lore, are there plans to release new geographic and/or psi order sourcebooks like editions of old? I'm actually curious to see how the new lore will become fleshed out over time.
    Florin covered the upcoming projects page. Every Monday Rich posts a "Monday Meeting Notes" blog post with production updates on all of Onyx Path's current projects. Currently listed there:
    • First Drafts: Æon: Prometheus Unbound
    • First Drafts: Æon: Dawn novella
    • First Drafts: Æon: Meridian novella
    • Redlines: Trinity Continuum: Anima
    • Second Drafts: Aberrant: Novas Worldwide
    • Development: Aberrant: Reference screen
    • Development: Trinity Continuum: Assassins
    • Development: Trinity Continuum: Adventure!
    • Post-Approval Development: Æon: Mission Statements
    • Editing: Aberrant jumpstart
    • Editing: Aberrant: N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment
    • Editing: Æon: Under Alien Suns
    • Post-Editing Development: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
    • Art Direction (Kickstarter): Trinity Continuum: Adventure!
    • In Layout: Trinity Continuum Jumpstart
    • In Layout: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
    • Proofing: Æon: Terra Firma
    If you want a geographical book on extrasolar worlds, Distant Worlds is currently available. If you want one covering Earth, grab Terra Firma. If you want a book on psi orders, look for Prometheus Unbound.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied

Was my favorite sci-fi rpg ever. I was pretty bummed when I never saw anything new and decent come out (ugh, D20), so when I saw OP make their own version using something similar to the Storyteller system I already knew well (TC is my first Storypath game), I had to hit that. Storypath is a bit complex, but once you get it, it's really interesting.

But yeah, great great setting and lore. Reason why I love it so much. Still read the old Order/Region books once in a while.
    Cool. I like TC Aeon a lot.

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post

I don’t know that much about the original Trinity game but this discussion is defo fascinating.

IanWatson thanks for explaining.
    Was my favorite sci-fi rpg ever. I was pretty bummed when I never saw anything new and decent come out (ugh, D20), so when I saw OP make their own version using something similar to the Storyteller system I already knew well (TC is my first Storypath game), I had to hit that. Storypath is a bit complex, but once you get it, it's really interesting.

But yeah, great great setting and lore. Reason why I love it so much. Still read the old Order/Region books once in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    My approach is ignore 1e timeline and use 1e material as inspiration to new stories, but that is my approach. I want to adapt some 1e stuff to my future Aeon era chronicles, and check the 1e books for ideas often, but I don’t use them as references, just as ideas.

Following the 1e timeline and supplements is a very interesting way too, the setting in 1e has a depth that 2e didn’t reach yet as a new line. Darkness Revealed is a masterpiece for sure, and worth being played again and again. Also you can use many of the hooks left behind in the end of the line, like Project 418.
    I don’t know that much about the original Trinity game but this discussion is defo fascinating.

IanWatson thanks for explaining.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X