Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... Prometheus Unbound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Florin View Post
    Speaking of Telepathy, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of offensive use of telepathic powers described in P.U. Even if it's just giving people a "sleep" command.
    Command (Psychybending 2) can command to sleep, it’s a minor effect when out of action, increase a bit if in combat, but yet possible.
    Exacerbate and Inflict Emotions (Rapport 2 and 4) can both be used to cause self damage. It’s evil, but you can cause suicidal thoughts related to guilty and other feelings. Command can force a person to kill themself, or at least try.


    House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how we can use the psi ratings for things that are related but slightly sideways to the actual modes in the book.

      Example being the potential for say an enemy psion to indoctrinate people using Telepathy or the ability of a TK to create say super materials by rearraging molecules and such. Plus other things.

      Also, while I know its going to focus on Psions I do hope there are some Psiad love - maybe some mention of how those with dots in multiple aptitudes and modes could combine effects. If they have to focus on the whole teamwork rules I am okay as long as they say "this works if a psiad has both dots".

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
        Example being the potential for say an enemy psion to indoctrinate people using Telepathy or the ability of a TK to create say super materials by rearraging molecules and such. Plus other things.
        I did get to write the best use ever for Selective Permeability.

        - C.


        Clayton A. Oliver | Formerly Ubiquitous

        When the half-light starts to rise/And the long gone come back again
        After the shortcuts and the highs/Comes the pain
        And the rain

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post

          I did get to write the best use ever for Selective Permeability.

          - C.
          Just hearing that such variant or specific uses for the powers is in the book makes me giddy. I don't even need to know what that is yet to be happy that such things are in the book.

          So yeah, awesome!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            Command can force a person to kill themself, or at least try.
            Didnt Command had a clause for no self-harm?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Sakii View Post

              Didnt Command had a clause for no self-harm?
              Indeed, not only on self harm, but also on breaking bounds. To make a person kill themself the Telepath needs to use Possession and cause all the damage while keep control over the target.


              House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Sakii View Post

                Didnt Command had a clause for no self-harm?
                Sure, but figure that's for no obvious/direct self-harm - or harm to others for that matter. I remember something from Asimov's Robots novels with the three laws of robotics, one of which was "No robot can harm a human or, through inaction allow a human to come to harm."

                However, one way around that would be to tell one robot to "Pour this liquid in to that empty cup and then delete that action from your memory banks." The robot does this (and the liquid is a poison/allergen/otherwise deadly when consumed). Then you tell the robot "Pour tea into the cup and then serve the cup Person X." Assuming Person X drinks the tea and dies, he robot has effectively (if unwittingly) helped to murder somebody despite the law.

                You could probably use Mind Control to similar effect. Like there's a gap between two areas with a 400 foot drop in normal gravity. A telepath could create the mental illusion of a sturdy, safe bridge across the gap, use Mind Control and tell somebody to walk across the bridge. At which point "Ahhh" *Splat*
                Last edited by johntfs; 10-22-2020, 01:38 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I remember the film Push, where one of the villains has one of his failed henchmen kill himself by psychic-pushing him to believe it's OK to obey the command to shoot himself in the head with a false memory of unloading his gun.


                  What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Push give a very good idea of how to deal with powerful telepathy.


                    House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by johntfs View Post

                      Sure, but figure that's for no obvious/direct self-harm - or harm to others for that matter. I remember something from Asimov's Robots novels with the three laws of robotics, one of which was "No robot can harm a human or, through inaction allow a human to come to harm."

                      However, one way around that would be to tell one robot to "Pour this liquid in to that empty cup and then delete that action from your memory banks." The robot does this (and the liquid is a poison/allergen/otherwise deadly when consumed). Then you tell the robot "Pour tea into the cup and then serve the cup Person X." Assuming Person X drinks the tea and dies, he robot has effectively (if unwittingly) helped to murder somebody despite the law.

                      You could probably use Mind Control to similar effect. Like there's a gap between two areas with a 400 foot drop in normal gravity. A telepath could create the mental illusion of a sturdy, safe bridge across the gap, use Mind Control and tell somebody to walk across the bridge. At which point "Ahhh" *Splat*

                      Oh yes, if you take a creative approach of course it ok. Its fun that way.

                      You could also use a mental command to make someone do something stupid in the middle of a gun-fight and getting himself killed.

                      You just cant spam Command Word: Kill and be done with it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'm a big fan of "Shoot your friend" and have been since 1e vampire...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Im more like, "go pick up that bottle" (and abandon cover in the process).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I noticed that this book is listed as "in development." Does that mean that the first and second drafts have been done?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Yes, indeed. 😁


                              Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I kind of really hope its moved along the chain to us getting say a pdf release. Same with me hoping Terra Firma goes to pod soon, cause I watz it on my shelf.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X