X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewK
    started a topic So... Prometheus Unbound

So... Prometheus Unbound

I know it's going to be focused on the orders, with more information on psionics and how to use it, along with some technological goodies. But has anyone had a more in depth preview or commentary on what else will be in it? I mean, this isn't a "Sell me" because everything on the new Trinity line is on my "must buy" list, but I'd sort of like to hear more about it to distract me from the stressful stuff going on in the real world right now.

• MythicFox
    replied
    Redlines tend to be a pretty quick stage for books that aren't massive cores. Once the text is finalized, unless there's a reason for any major last-minute changes the big wait comes from contracting and acquiring the art (at least, to the best of my understanding of the process).

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    What an interesting timeline of events. That said I hope it doesn't take to next year for us to get Prometheus Unbound, especially with how they have been talking about it.

Of course, if it does, well, it is what it is.
    Last edited by LordHeru; 10-26-2020, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bastion Avalos
    replied
    Using Terra Firma as an example, it took 16 months from First Draft to the .pdf Advanced copy becoming available.
    5/6/19- First showed up in First Draft on MMN
    8/19/19- Moved to 2nd Draft (skipped Redlines)
    10/7/19- Moved to Manuscript Approval stage
    11/11/19- Moved to Editing
    9/16/20 - release of the Advanced copy PDF

Note that Terra Firma skipped Redlines, Development, and Post-Approval Development on the MMN. This doesn't mean they skipped them internally, but they weren't shown on the released status updates.

Using that as the example, with Prometheus Unbound first arriving listed in First Draft stage on 7/13/20, that puts its PDF release in November 2021. There are obviously a lot of factors at play but from an outsider's perspective alone it appears we've got some waiting and enjoying of our currently-available content.

Maybe we'll get pleasantly surprised and see it by next summer! In the meantime, we've still got Mission Statements and Under Alien Suns forthcoming to expand the Continuum.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    I kind of really hope its moved along the chain to us getting say a pdf release. Same with me hoping Terra Firma goes to pod soon, cause I watz it on my shelf.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Yes, indeed. 😁

Leave a comment:

• NewK
    replied
    I noticed that this book is listed as "in development." Does that mean that the first and second drafts have been done?

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Im more like, "go pick up that bottle" (and abandon cover in the process).

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    I'm a big fan of "Shoot your friend" and have been since 1e vampire...

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Originally posted by johntfs View Post

Sure, but figure that's for no obvious/direct self-harm - or harm to others for that matter. I remember something from Asimov's Robots novels with the three laws of robotics, one of which was "No robot can harm a human or, through inaction allow a human to come to harm."

However, one way around that would be to tell one robot to "Pour this liquid in to that empty cup and then delete that action from your memory banks." The robot does this (and the liquid is a poison/allergen/otherwise deadly when consumed). Then you tell the robot "Pour tea into the cup and then serve the cup Person X." Assuming Person X drinks the tea and dies, he robot has effectively (if unwittingly) helped to murder somebody despite the law.

You could probably use Mind Control to similar effect. Like there's a gap between two areas with a 400 foot drop in normal gravity. A telepath could create the mental illusion of a sturdy, safe bridge across the gap, use Mind Control and tell somebody to walk across the bridge. At which point "Ahhh" *Splat*

Oh yes, if you take a creative approach of course it ok. Its fun that way.

You could also use a mental command to make someone do something stupid in the middle of a gun-fight and getting himself killed.

You just cant spam Command Word: Kill and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Push give a very good idea of how to deal with powerful telepathy.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I remember the film Push, where one of the villains has one of his failed henchmen kill himself by psychic-pushing him to believe it's OK to obey the command to shoot himself in the head with a false memory of unloading his gun.

Leave a comment:

• johntfs
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Didnt Command had a clause for no self-harm?
    Sure, but figure that's for no obvious/direct self-harm - or harm to others for that matter. I remember something from Asimov's Robots novels with the three laws of robotics, one of which was "No robot can harm a human or, through inaction allow a human to come to harm."

However, one way around that would be to tell one robot to "Pour this liquid in to that empty cup and then delete that action from your memory banks." The robot does this (and the liquid is a poison/allergen/otherwise deadly when consumed). Then you tell the robot "Pour tea into the cup and then serve the cup Person X." Assuming Person X drinks the tea and dies, he robot has effectively (if unwittingly) helped to murder somebody despite the law.

You could probably use Mind Control to similar effect. Like there's a gap between two areas with a 400 foot drop in normal gravity. A telepath could create the mental illusion of a sturdy, safe bridge across the gap, use Mind Control and tell somebody to walk across the bridge. At which point "Ahhh" *Splat*
    Last edited by johntfs; 10-22-2020, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Indeed, not only on self harm, but also on breaking bounds. To make a person kill themself the Telepath needs to use Possession and cause all the damage while keep control over the target.

Leave a comment:

• Sakii
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    Command can force a person to kill themself, or at least try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X