No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] Aberrant in November

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the final draft of the PDF will the names of the Elemental Themes on page 210 be in bold. The names of each of the elemental types gets lost in the text really easy as it stands now. Not sure if that would count as a errata or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
      In the final draft of the PDF will the names of the Elemental Themes on page 210 be in bold. The names of each of the elemental types gets lost in the text really easy as it stands now. Not sure if that would count as a errata or not.
      Absolutely put that in errata

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
        Normal rules still apply when it comes to Novas and skill tricks. This is a Mega-Edge that modifies how it works by allowing them to pick from any skill trick while adding a quantum point.

I just thought if you spend XP on a Mega-Edge then the whole need to spend Momentum should be removed.
        Skill Tricks cost 3 xp. Mega-Edges cost 12 xp. Every Skill from the core book lists three to four associated Skill Tricks, so you can just spend 9 to 12 xp and save your Quantum points (you may also save the point of Flux you take for learning the Mega-Edge after character creation). The Mega-Edge would only be considered a good use of xp if you have access to a bunch of additional pre-made Skill Tricks, or your group is fine with you making very frequent use of the Skill Trick design rules.

One thing I noticed with the PDF - and I'm not sure if this is a design feature or an oversight that needs an errata submission - is the Warp power's Impose tag. It looks like you need a number of successes equal to their Defense + 3 to suck someone through a wormhole. Since your maximum normal dice pool is 16 (Quantum 9 + Warp 7), a completely mundane human with a decent Defense has a good chance of ignoring Divis Mal's attempt to telefrag him. While I understand they don't want players derailing adventures with constant warp gate telefrags, these rules seem to make it virtually impossible for anyone less powerful than an elder Aberrant to use the option, and it doesn't stop your grapple monster buddy from just grabbing the guy and throwing him through anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
          Skill Tricks cost 3 xp. Mega-Edges cost 12 xp. Every Skill from the core book lists three to four associated Skill Tricks, so you can just spend 9 to 12 xp and save your Quantum points (you may also save the point of Flux you take for learning the Mega-Edge after character creation). The Mega-Edge would only be considered a good use of xp if you have access to a bunch of additional pre-made Skill Tricks, or your group is fine with you making very frequent use of the Skill Trick design rules.
          yes the book assumes you are not treating those lists as exhaustive as they are not meant to be.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
            It becomes XP efficient if you only have 1 dot in the skill you use Prodigy for. Normally, you'd have to spend 10xp to get up to 3 dots, and then spend the 9-12xp for all of the skill tricks.

ETA: You need 5 dots in a skill to have 3 skill tricks. So, you can't normally have access to 4 at a time, and you'll need to factor in the cost of 4 more skill dots.
            Last edited by Florin; 10-31-2020, 01:59 AM.

Comment

So at this point the biggest thing I don't understand from a choice perspective is Body Modification. 12 XP for each dot of things in that Mega-Edge seems unduly expensive for what one gains.

Comment

I think the fact they cost no Quantum Points to use and are always on/available is supposed to account for the 12 xp. Does it? I don't know.

ETA: They might also be immune to Quantum Disruption. I've put a question into the errata as to whether Quantum Disruption only applies to things under the Quantum Powers heading or if it also applies to Mega-Attributes and/or -Edges.
                Last edited by Florin; 10-31-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

So, confusion. While the Scale chart is pretty handy what I am not entirely sure on is how the Mega-Attributes interact with it. Like when and how does Mega-Cunning dots translate into Scale. I mean is Initiative the only thing it gains a scale on? But that doesn't seem right. So yeah, confusion on when Scale applies.

I have been assuming that Mega-Attributes apply both Scale and Enhancements whenever one does something using the base Attribute. So when one rolls Cunning then they get a Scale bonus for having Mega-Cunning, the same for the eight other Attributes and their Mega-Attributes.

Is that wrong? Right? Blue?

--

So I just realized that a stealth star Nova with Hypnotic Presence might basically only roll 2 dice for the hypnotic action if they are Quantum 1 and Mega-Manipulation 1. That is not a very high chance of success.
                  Last edited by LordHeru; 10-31-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Mega-Cunning gives you speed scale equal to M-C dots for initiative and Keen Senses with enhancements equal to M-C dots. That's it, RAW.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                      Mega-Cunning gives you speed scale equal to M-C dots for initiative and Keen Senses with enhancements equal to M-C dots. That's it, RAW.
                      That seems like a waste. It also doesn't seem to truly cover what the Mega-Attribute does in flavor.

So what am I missing here?

Comment

Based on Mega-Stamina not giving defense scale, and on Mega-Dex not giving any bonus on Aim OR Speed let alone scale without a mega-edge, my current assumption is that Mega-Atts ONLY give some form of bonus on things they very specifically specify in the entry.

So Mega-Cunning ONLY gives you Scale on Initiative, and dots in Keen Senses edges. Rolling cunning to lie? No benefit.

I honestly feel like Mega-Atts got nerfed to hard from the original game, but they're still neat and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by TiwazTyrsfist View Post
                          Based on Mega-Stamina not giving defense scale, and on Mega-Dex not giving any bonus on Aim OR Speed let alone scale without a mega-edge, my current assumption is that Mega-Atts ONLY give some form of bonus on things they very specifically specify in the entry.

So Mega-Cunning ONLY gives you Scale on Initiative, and dots in Keen Senses edges. Rolling cunning to lie? No benefit.

I honestly feel like Mega-Atts got nerfed to hard from the original game, but they're still neat and useful.
                          So its not that I missed things its that they changed the assumption so much that what I thought was there, what I figured would be there, is actually gone and I didn't notice since I was mostly focused on what I expected it to be.

Yeah, that bothers me. I mean why shouldn't Mega-Cunning help with lying. Why does it only help with initiative.

I really thought that the Mega-Attributes provided scale naturally to actions undertaking their base Attribute. I see that it does for some, like Mega-Intellect, but not all of them.

I don't get that.

So again, what am I missing. There has to be some sort of reason.

Otherwise yeah, its a nerf, and it is not so great.

Comment

I think they just saw over the years that Mega-Atts in 1st ed were really really good, and they decided that if they gave scale on everything they'd be too good. Which I personally don't agree with but it is what it is. As far as I can tell Mega-Atts literally only do things they explicitly say they do.

Like I'm not certain, but based on the wording I think Mega-Might provides scale for say, Rolling JUST might to rip a bank vault door off, but DOES NOT provide scale when you roll Might + Close Combat to punch someone. So if you've got 2 might, 2 mega-might, and 1 close combat, you can pick up a car like I pick up my cat, and you can tear through a wall more easily than I can open a banana, but you still only get 3 dice if you punch something.

This may be a gross misunderstanding on my part, but that's how it reads to me.

Comment

Further thoughts.
                              I don't like that Accuracy (p 186) doesn't grant scale.
                              I don't like that there appears to be NO way to add Mega-Might to your Close Combat. Not like Shockwave or Thunderclap, but actually like "You gain Dots Scale to your Might based attacks". I'd be perfectly happy with a setup where it was Prereq: Dots x 2 Mega-Might. But going from "Mega-Strength gives you 5 auto-successes per dot on Str based combat and damage rolls" to "Being Punched by a Nova with 5 Mega-Might and being punched by a Baseline with NO POWERS AT ALL with 5 Might are EXACTLY THE SAME" is a bit weird. (Ok, the nova's gonna do more damage because his target number is lower, but the MEGA-might is doing nothing for him)

Comment

I'm sorry for flooding, but I feel like I need to take a second to say, I am actually really happy with almost everything in the new version of Aberrant. None of these complaints will stop me from playing or enjoying the game. I feel like we sometimes come off overly negative, and I may have here, because it's easier to call out specific things we AREN'T happy with than to call out what we like.

There are things I wish had been done differently, but I really like the game, I'm really happy it's gotten an update and new content coming, and I'm really happy that Trinity continuum is a living supported game line again.

Comment

Working...
                                X