Aberrant a few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant a few questions

flight no longer gives scale level +1 just scale. Is that a translation error? Speed scale really seems to be the slowest ramp up so to be useful, other then not filing to your doom, but would be around 3 dots or so to be practice. So 36 xp is a chunk. Easy house rule fix ether way.

Is transmutation under and over powered at the same time?
    at rolling Q+power rating with a quantum minimum of 4 a starting nova at best devoting everything to the power would end up at 7 dice for their dice pools. 5Q and Power 2. complex items like a smart phone seem to be difficulty 5. without using momentum to bolster a roll that seems like a lot of successes to pull out of a 7 die pool. that is not taking into account other possible modifiers. Such as size and non standard matter. Yet also if just pushing to do a simple change like x to hydrogen changing over a whole city block does not seem to be too hard if you just dump all successes into size rank. Does the items starting complexity influence the difficulty? Can a Nova accumulate successes over time? if so would Q+P be a good cap on total possible accumulated successes max?

as writing it looks like it would be possible for a starting level nova with Q5 Mega-Might 5 and Lifter to easily push the earth. Add in a dot or two of flight so they can stay put and just use lifter to jack lifting scale up to 8 or 9 and boom, whole planet moves. I mean clearly I would don't allow that really in my game as I have players that would do that. But, RAW it is possible. YIKES!!!

Also good to see them rework the TP distance / times.

Lots of good and all to this game, I just want to thank the dev team and everyone for making this 2e happen!

So reviewing Transmutation it is quantum Minimum 4. So I believe the character could have higher dots in it then I originally thought. So that takes some of the sting out of Transmutation.

Comment

Transmutation is indeed extremely powerfull at mid/high end games, when you get enough extra trait tags in it. You just get tons of free power dots for almost no exp cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Asolar View Post
        Transmutation is indeed extremely powerfull at mid/high end games, when you get enough extra trait tags in it. You just get tons of free power dots for almost no exp cost.
        I believe you're confusing Transmutation for Transformation. OTOH I definitely agree that there is a lot of potential packed into the Transformation power. If you go for a Transformation based nova, it looks like Transformation 4 with as many levels of the Extra Traits tag as you can afford may be the best way to go.

Quantum 4 (48 xp)
        Transformation 4 (48 xp)
        Duration: Continuous (Minutes) (12 xp)
        Extra Traits 3 (36 xp)
        That leaves you with 6 xp unspent from character creation.

Going all out on your power activation means spending 7 Quantum points every 8 minutes, and grants you 16 dots to spread around among appropriate traits. As a weird application of RAW, the Extra Traits tags each let you apply all their points for 1 Quantum point, while the base ability charges you for each individual point you choose to apply, so you could theoretically activate Transformation's base level for no dots of traits and no Quantum point cost, while activating all your Extra Traits tags for a single point each. This is almost certainly a loophole abuse which shouldn't be allowed. I'd rule you have to apply all levels of the base power before being allowed to apply the much cheaper Extra Traits dots.

Comment

Ya, I personally was talking about transmutation. Having to buy up size scale and complexity with possibly adding in meta materials or creating from thin air. makes it a beast to actually get a good result let alone no base successes means it’s always in question what you will role. Simpler to Mage the Awakening 1e where a bad roll means you can move around a cup of water and a good roll means you can beat someone with a large pond of water.
          Personally for me I will probably be implementing a house rules to help even it out a bit. So players will roll only quantum an add power in successes/enhancement to create a base level of dependable use as well as letting players spend additional turns to spend additional quantum to roll quantum unroll they get a total success pool maxing out at what ever their Q+P rating is in dots.
          That way it is more practice and beneficial outside of combat but if left alone for a round or two can still be useful in combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
            As a weird application of RAW, the Extra Traits tags each let you apply all their points for 1 Quantum point, while the base ability charges you for each individual point you choose to apply, so you could theoretically activate Transformation's base level for no dots of traits and no Quantum point cost, while activating all your Extra Traits tags for a single point each. This is almost certainly a loophole abuse which shouldn't be allowed. I'd rule you have to apply all levels of the base power before being allowed to apply the much cheaper Extra Traits dots.
            The Extra Trait description says you can add "additional points" for each tag. So you'd have to apply base points first in order to have additional points. However, it doesn't say you have to activate all your base points before spending for the Extra Traits tags. Which I would guess is RAI.

Comment

Working...
            X