[Æon] Fun hard sci-fi strategy that I know a player will want to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] Fun hard sci-fi strategy that I know a player will want to use

So if my Leviathan is traveling at speed 6, aimed at the cololition ark, that is also traveling at speed six. If they fire railguns would the speed scale stack for damage?

In the Distant Worlds book they mention a similar attack on ivdel

Comment

Yes, if they are going against each other, but the targeting difficulty should be proportionally higher. There are a much smaller error margin and firing window with the relativistic time distortions on both sides and everything. BTW, aiming visually is an exercise in futility, near lightspeed everything will be distorted with crazy doppler effect and relativistic shenanigans.

Comment

Yes, but scale don’t stack that way.

Each scale is several times the lower one, so the rail gun bullet is going at speed 7, plus the scale 6 plus the scale 6 it is 7 + something much lower that is not enough to stack to 8.

For example, let’s say speed 6 is 1, scale 7 is 5 and scale 8 is 25, so 5 + 1 + 1 = 7 that is far les than 25.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of a clear in an aries pod providing targeting.

Comment

I don't think I get your explanation.

Ship fires at speed 6. Weapon enhancement is already modded by ship size. Target vessel is approaching at speed six.
            The difference in speed should be 12.?

Comment

Speed Scale 12 is WAY more than 2x Speed Scale 6. It's more like 1000x or more. So, I would either add 1 or 0 scale to the inflict injury stunt due to scale with a corresponding complication to the attack roll.

Comment

Example: ship chasing target, speed 5 vs speed 6, equals a - 1 scale ( 2 enhancement for damage). Or is my thought process and understanding of mechanics wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by cKnight View Post
                  Example: ship chasing target, speed 5 vs speed 6, equals a - 1 scale ( 2 enhancement for damage). Or is my thought process and understanding of mechanics wrong?

I kind of want to know myself as this is how I had been doing it. Units at radically different scales (ship at 6 and human at 1) don't even need rolls. Units at near scales (human at 1 and cheeta at 3) interact with penalty. Ship 1 at scale 20 vs ship 2 at scale 20 operate as if there is no scale at all mechanically. Ship at 6 and ship at 7 cause the lower ship to take a penalty.

Whether narratively this is ships going ten million miles per our or the speed of purple doesn't matter.

At least that s how I thought of it.

Comment

That's kind of my point. Two ships traveling at reletvistic speeds towards one another and a shot is fired.

Comment

I know this thought is more technical than the rules but my player reads lot of hard sci-fi ,
                      where velocity energy matters in space combat.

Comment

I get that scale shouldn't be added strait out but, but storyguide wise how much should I add to enhancements for damage?

Comment

Just for reference" Star Carrier" in this series of books first strikes at near light speed usually decide battles

Comment

Scale is not linear progression, it’s a exponential progression, scale 1 is about 15km/h scale 2 is about 75km/h, and so on.

Let’s say scale 6 speed is about 10Mm/h, and scale 7 is about 40Mm/h and scale 8 is about 160Mm/h.
                            The ships are moving at speed 6 one against the other, and the bullet is fired at speed 7.
                            So the speed the bullet is moving is about 40Mm/h above the 10Mm/h from the ship, and so about 60Mm/h against the approaching ship.
                            60Mm/h is almost as close to 160Mm/h as 40Mm/h, so it’s considered at speed 7 yet, and so not worth of extra scale in the impact.

The numbers are not those, but the steps are about that (or an even larger difference).

Edit: the reference is good, but the impact would be more like a surprise attack at maximum range and less about the extra speed, as the ships are not reducing speed fast enough to change from one round to the other.
                            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 11-02-2020, 11:24 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

It seems to me this is a moot point. If both ships are moving at speed 6 then neither has scale on the other. Thus it would not impact the roll as there is no difference in scale.

Comment

Working...
                              X