[Æon] Nova's on Earth in Trinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] Nova's on Earth in Trinity

Here's a question since I haven't seen anything rules related to novas in Trinity.

Is earth so contaminated by Flux that there's no way for a newly erupted Nova to stay sane? Because so far, all the Novas, outside of the Japanese Novas, seem to be either crazy or heading that way.

So is it something that has changed on teh planet, or just the effect of "everyone is trying to kill me, and I must remain hidden or become strong enough to fight" neither one of which is really conducive to sanity.

In 1E, supposedly Nippon had a treatment to make "Sane" novas, but that has been superseded by the Superior Treatment--and the only thing mentioned about their own Novas' was that they had a series of tests that could determine if they might fall to taint.

But the tests weren't defined, so It's unknown if they were physical or mental in nature, IE is Mr. Nova naturally resistant to taint or is his personality resistant to the kinds of actions ond overreach that led to corruption.

But that gets back to the ultimate question--is it possible to erupt and stay sane as a Nova on earth.

You have to ask the backers of the Aberrant PDF if hard rules are in there regarding that.

Otherwise the setting implies - that overusage of Quantum and expanding the powers quickly accelerates the syndrome. I´d also reckon that circumstance will have an effect on a new aberrant. Activated by another Mutant or ina Zone? or a more natural eruption and a slower learning process. But as there is no "School for gifted Novas", Aberrants a quite alone in this and thus a prone to get lost to Quantum mutations. So you have multiple factors: Eruption intensity, circumstances, personality, mental stability, convictions.

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
    Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

It’s more a narrative thing. Earth of the Aeon era doesn’t have any/many ‘clean’ Quantum Flux areas for ‘novas’ to erupt. It’s flush with psi energies that interfere with Quantum, and the Quantum areas are twisted into being more damaging Corruption. So when people experience the rare Quantum eruptions in the Aeon era, they’re more likely to rapidly suffer physical and mental transformations that mark them as monsters to the rest of humanity.

Aberrants are bad guys in the Aeon era. There’s nothing stopping you from having sane novas erupt in that era in your game, but the prime timeline is going to assume this doesn’t happen.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

My approach is Novas aren’t completely natural, as they require a high level of “quantum background field” to erupt. If the quantum is “clean” the eruption is less likely to create a Aberrant and more prone to create a Nova.

During Nova era Mal’s device created the initial kick to let the first novas to erupt and their presence and powers erupted others in the following years. As more Novas went corrupted the background field become more and more corrupted and more prone to create Aberrants instead of Novas.

The Ultimatum reduced the general Quantum level, reducing the chances of a Nova or Aberrant to Erupt and Burano made it weaker and less corrupted, later with Psions going around everywhere the quantum background is reduced even more.

So the chances of a Nova to erupt randomly is extremely close to 0, while Aberrants will probably erupt once in a while in a QFZ (most people will be sub Aberrants, but maybe 1 in 10 million will be a regular Aberrant).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
          Here's a question since I haven't seen anything rules related to novas in Trinity.

Is earth so contaminated by Flux that there's no way for a newly erupted Nova to stay sane? Because so far, all the Novas, outside of the Japanese Novas, seem to be either crazy or heading that way.

So is it something that has changed on teh planet, or just the effect of "everyone is trying to kill me, and I must remain hidden or become strong enough to fight" neither one of which is really conducive to sanity.

In 1E, supposedly Nippon had a treatment to make "Sane" novas, but that has been superseded by the Superior Treatment--and the only thing mentioned about their own Novas' was that they had a series of tests that could determine if they might fall to taint.

But the tests weren't defined, so It's unknown if they were physical or mental in nature, IE is Mr. Nova naturally resistant to taint or is his personality resistant to the kinds of actions ond overreach that led to corruption.

But that gets back to the ultimate question--is it possible to erupt and stay sane as a Nova on earth.
          This is a very good question. Overall I agree with Bunyip analysis.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Now the other side of the coin: Sub Aberrants during Nova Age.

A Nova can create a sub aberrant by healing a person too much during a single day, stacking flux until the person gather 4+ Transcendence. I would say the person develop a “quantum induced Cancer”, that would be called Quantum Disease latter in Aeon.
            By regular rules, a high transcendence human would have transformations, but power need to be house ruled, I probably would give quantum 1 (not possible to raise, but still being a Tier 2 character), allow body modifications and some Mega Edges that can be bought with Q1 and no Mega Attributes.

What do you think about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

A Nova can create a sub aberrant by healing a person too much during a single day, stacking flux until the person gather 4+ Transcendence. I would say the person develop a “quantum induced Cancer”, that would be called Quantum Disease latter in Aeon.
              By regular rules, a high transcendence human would have transformations, but power need to be house ruled, I probably would give quantum 1 (not possible to raise, but still being a Tier 2 character), allow body modifications and some Mega Edges that can be bought with Q1 and no Mega Attributes.

I really like your idea.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

I’ve been tinkering with a post apocalyptic setting, and I definitely want Sub-Aberrant Mutants (just “Mutants” in that setting) to be a playable Tier 2 characters. Sort of anti-Superiors, reflecting aspects of Novas that Superiors don’t, and not the enhanced attributes part of the equation that they do.

So yeah, similar page.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

In this case I would go for powers limited to Q1 and 2.

To be fair, I have in my mind Q1-2 is T2, Q3-5 T3, Q6+ T4. It would make the Nova/Psiad/Talent crossover a bit smoother.

Comment

You could use the rules to create an agent as a guide to create Sub Aberrants. And have some comparison on when to give a dot of power or Mega attribute.

Comment

Working...
                    X