[Æon] Movie, tv series, visual reference for new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] Movie, tv series, visual reference for new players

My group will start in a couple of months, and would like good references for aeon era. So far, (correct me if not in theme), I have Nippon as "I robot" feel. China is more of "minority report". Fsa has a "blade runner", starship troopers", johnney nemonic feel. Need help with the rest of earth nations.

And I'm using "the expanse" as a solar system guide.

Comment

I presume you mean TC: Aeon?

Atmosphere is in many parts quite StarTreky (Hopeful, Progressive, Almost Post-Scarcity, Scientistic {It´s mainly believed that Science & Tec will solve Humanitys Problems}, The UN actually got some power and especially with AEON Soc.).
      China is a "benevolent bureaucracy" - but almost all states are more or less surveillance states.
      The Ministry is very very similiar to the PSI Corp from Babylon 5. (also Humanitiy contact with other species is very similiar. )

When it comes to Psi Powers I can not stretch The Tomorrow People enough.
      The Expanse is good for Political intrigue, Space Opera and on Belters(What does it mean to be not a baseline human, that has adapted to Low-G), also How does Travel work.

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
      Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

If you're talking about setting references, I believe there's more than a little Mad Max in the most heavily wrecked parts of Europe. For the UAN, look at Wakanda in Black Panther.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
        Game line contributions: W20, Night Horrors, TC: Æon, soon to be Scion (details here)
        Blog post write-ups of my gaming sessions

Comment

In general:
          • Star Trek - and by this, I mean the older stuff like the original series (and its animated spin off), The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, as well as the early films (Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact are probably three of the better ones). Mainly this is for general mood of optimism, especially in both science/technology and in the general goodness of people. Also the design aesthetic of most of the places you see on Earth, and for the alien worlds. [Also the two Star Trek comedy pastiches Galaxy Quest and The Orville.]
          • The Fifth Element (1997) - a visually beautiful - and fun to watch - French sci fi film, with settings that run the gamut of working class metropolis apartments and middle of nowhere archaeological digs to high tech labs and ultra luxurious space cruise ships.
          • The Mass Effect video game trilogy. Which includes psionic style powers, space exploration, and alien races that fit fairly well in Aeon.
          • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Again, you get a mix of alien worlds, including Xandar which makes interesting inspiration for a place like Australia, as well as abandoned ruins, disreputable dives for criminals, and so forth.
          • Astra: Lost in Space (2019) - A sci fi anime in which a group of high school students in a future space fairing society go on a school trip and end up sucked through a worm hole beyond known space. Both the alien worlds they discover and the bits about their home fit very well with Aeon.
          • Total Recall (1990) - You get a nice mix of a futuristic modern society and a highly stratified Mars colony.

North America:
          • Blade Runner (1982) - This part was always intended to be the most cyberpunk influenced of the setting, and this film established a lot of the visual tropes of the genre.
          • District 9 (2009) and Chappie (2015) - while these are set in South Africa, a lot of the visuals and themes fit really well into North America.
          • RepoMen (2010) - Another of those films that presents a diversity of social strata, as well as advanced technology and its impact on society.

Australia:
          • Minority Report (2002) and I, Robot (2004) - The cleaner, brighter side of the future (at least on the surface). While parts of North America and other areas look like this as well, Australia is generally more so.
          • Big Hero 6 (2014) - It's a fun mash up of Asian and Western architectural styles, as well as some interesting technology ideas.
          • Starship Troopers (1997) - Though its meant as not very subtle satire, a lot of the visuals still fit well with Aeon, especially for certain aspects of the Legions.
          Europe:
          • Mad Max (1979) - The areas where civilization is in the process of breaking down but hasn't completely collapsed yet.
          • Hardcore Henry (2015) - Filmed in Russia, and gives an interesting look at parts of a possible near future Moscow.
          • Ares (2016) - A French sci fi film presenting a dystopian near future Paris involving drug enhanced gladiators. While Paris may no longer exist in Aeon, a lot of the visuals fit really well for much of Europe.
          South America:
          • Avatar (2009) and Zootopia (2016) - I use these for inspiration, mainly for the incorporation of the living plant life/biosphere into the architecture and civil design.
          • The conceptual work of architect Vincent Callebaut - This link is specifically for a proposed building in India, but I love the incorporation of living plant life into the design.
          • The Baha'i Temple of South America - This is a real building in Chile, which aside from being very pretty, would tie in somewhat with the ISRA.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Thanks to all with comments.

Comment

As atmosphere, how would you visualize star ship aesthetics?
              Hard sci-fi(aliens). Softer (startreck ng), in-between (startreck enterprise)?

Comment

Originally posted by cKnight View Post
                My group will start in a couple of months, and would like good references for aeon era. So far, (correct me if not in theme), I have Nippon as "I robot" feel. China is more of "minority report". Fsa has a "blade runner", starship troopers", johnney nemonic feel. Need help with the rest of earth nations.
                You may want to take a look at my Aeon Pinterest. I've been collecting images since 1st edition.
                https://br.pinterest.com/frankmalcher/ref-aeon-trinity/

For architecture and the like, you may want to take a look at the Artbook of the game "Remember Me".
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_(video_game)

Comment

Probably inbetween, with it drifting towards one end or the other depending on the ship in question and its owner/purpose.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Biotech ones would look something like the Shadow and Vorlon vessels in Babylon 5. I'd probably use the Vorlons as inspiration for Qin vessels and the Shadows for Chromatics.

Comment

Working...
                    X