recreating the Hammersmith or Galatea event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recreating the Hammersmith or Galatea event

So, a few thoughts and questoins. If a nova crafter wanted to recreate the Hammersmith event, how hard would it be?

The event itself happened Pre-nova's, so it should be something within the reach of baselines (albeit it was an accident), and post Galatea, there are no Doyen barriers to worry about. So could a megaintelligent crafter come up with something like that?

Related to that, what about some form of process to initiate an eruption i a latent nova or even a baseline? Given the core books list, my assumption is that something to cause a random eruption in an individual, would be probably rank 7-8, while something that allowed you to infuse someone who normally couldn't erupt or control the eruption of a nova, would be a nine, and probably a nine with boatload of additions to it.

Without the Barrier you wouldn't need some of the Galatea events level to have the same effect.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Also remember the Hammersmith event triggered all three types but mostly Talents and Galatea triggered novas. There was a third event in 2104 set off by Dr. Sara Bhurano that triggered psiads and basically started the Aeon era.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

The Galatea era event didn't actually disrupt the Doyen barrier. If that had happened, the Doyen would have noticed and immediately played a game of Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies with humanity. It wasn't until Dr. Bhurano's noetic beacon event that the Earth attracted their attention again. This can be seen on page 368 of the Aeon book: "When she set off the noetic beacon that cleansed the Corrupted zones and attracted the Doyen...". At that point, the Doyen couldn't immediately eliminate Earth, since roughly two thousand Novas/Aberrants had already fled the planet; they needed Earth's psychics to fight the Aberrants for them.

And in this specific instance, they may have been right to consider quantum beings as a direct threat to their species, based on page 273 of the Aberrant pdf. If the comic pages are to be believed, Divis Mal was fully aware that aliens were impeding humanity's quantum empowerment. While he mentally bragged about shattering their cocoon, he may have purposefully limited his empowerment event's scope to keep from alerting them that their gambit had failed and humans were erupting in large numbers. Maybe Divis Mal didn't just disappear to hit Quantum 10 and ascend, maybe he's stalking the Doyen.

Comment

Bhurano event in 2104 triggered Psiads and Talents and reduced the total Quantum level (reducing the QFZ by a big deal).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
            The Galatea era event didn't actually disrupt the Doyen barrier. If that had happened, the Doyen would have noticed and immediately played a game of Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies with humanity. It wasn't until Dr. Bhurano's noetic beacon event that the Earth attracted their attention again. This can be seen on page 368 of the Aeon book: "When she set off the noetic beacon that cleansed the Corrupted zones and attracted the Doyen...". At that point, the Doyen couldn't immediately eliminate Earth, since roughly two thousand Novas/Aberrants had already fled the planet; they needed Earth's psychics to fight the Aberrants for them.

And in this specific instance, they may have been right to consider quantum beings as a direct threat to their species, based on page 273 of the Aberrant pdf. If the comic pages are to be believed, Divis Mal was fully aware that aliens were impeding humanity's quantum empowerment. While he mentally bragged about shattering their cocoon, he may have purposefully limited his empowerment event's scope to keep from alerting them that their gambit had failed and humans were erupting in large numbers. Maybe Divis Mal didn't just disappear to hit Quantum 10 and ascend, maybe he's stalking the Doyen.
            I think Divis Mal did break the barrier, but as the quantum was so high and so concentrated on Earth it was absolutely impossible for them to stay there or even think about reacting to the Novas. When Bhurano cleansed with her experiment, it turned the game in their favor and allow them to come and create a weapon to fight the Novas.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Even if they couldn't actually approach Earth, that would have done nothing to stop them from dropping multiple extinction level asteroids on the planet. Or - later on - doing the same thing to all the colony worlds that would have lacked such concentrated quantum levels.

And the book does specifically state that Dr. Bhurano "attracted the Doyen". There would have been no need for that if they were already paying attention due to Divis Mal's quantum empowerment event. The fact that the Doyen didn't show up until after the noetic beacon went off combined with the fact that the Doyen did nothing about the 2000+ Aberrants who'd left Earth 37 years earlier indicates rather strongly that they didn't know what was happening. The galaxy is a big, big place, and they were presumably busy doing other things while assuming the dampening cocoon they placed around Earth was doing its job.

Comment

Also bear in mind (I think) that the destruction of the Galatea was really just a side effect of the Quantum wave caused by Divis Mal’s experiment, not its ultimate cause.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

The Galatea blew up as a result of a Nova erupting on it, iirc? Who then wound up floating around in orbit, alive, sustained by their powers but without having gained the ability to fly or effectively signal their location.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
                    The Galatea blew up as a result of a Nova erupting on it, iirc? Who then wound up floating around in orbit, alive, sustained by their powers but without having gained the ability to fly or effectively signal their location.
                    Right. But it wasn’t the cause of the Quantum wave that engulfed Earth like people thought. Divis Mal was.

Comment

Although wouldn’t satellite cameras eventually see this guy?

Comment

Maybe, but it might take them a while- space is big. They'd probably be tracking the debris from the Galatea explosion just because of the risk of Kessler syndrome, but public attention's going to be distracted by the start of Nova eruptions on Earth. Then they'd have to figure out that "person-sized chunk of debris" is in fact a person, at which point the natural assumption is that it's just a body.

Ironically, I can see people debating whether to retrieve the supposed corpse for burial or let it remain "buried" in space undisturbed as an honor.

Finding out that the former astronaut is actually alive might take quite some time indeed.

Comment

Thank you. I totally forgot about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                            The Galatea era event didn't actually disrupt the Doyen barrier. If that had happened, the Doyen would have noticed and immediately played a game of Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies with humanity.
                            The book does explicitly say that Divis Mal broke the Doyen barrier with the events of N-Day. Check the Secrets section on page 275 where it says that "he and his allies managed to recreate their own version of the Hammersmith experiment, unleashing a quantum wave that shattered the Doyen energy barrier around the Earth and triggered the nova potential latent in a portion of humanity."

Comment

I thought the barrier around the solar system was Quantum in nature and set up by the more benevolent evacuating Novas after the Ultimatum? That's why a Noetic pulse to heal the earth's corruption zones disrupted it.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X