Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new books are planned for the Aberrant line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new books are planned for the Aberrant line?

It may a bit early but with the release of the Aberrant backer pdf, I’d love to know more about the possible new books that would expand the Aberrant setting, aside those unlocked as stretch goals during the Kickstarter campaign. The Aeon line was very well supported with several new books either already released or about to, so can we expect that something similar will happen to the Aberrant setting?

The Monday Meeting has Novas Worldwide in Development, but i dont know what it is about.

Comment

Novas Worldwide is a stretch goal (actually three stretch goals) from the kickstarter:

NOVAS WORLDWIDE – An introductory scenario, designed to jumpstart a longer chronicle. All backers receiving the PDF version of Trinity Continuum: Aberrantwill have a PDF version of NOVAS WORLDWIDE automatically added to their rewards list.
      NOVAS WORLDWIDE 2 – An subsequent scenario, designed to continue a longer chronicle (or possibly act as a second launch point for an ongoing story) will be added to the NOVAS WORLDWIDE PDF.
      NOVAS WORLDWIDE 3 – A third scenario, designed to conclude a longer chronicle (or possibly act as a third launch point for an ongoing story) will be added to the NOVAS WORLDWIDE PDF.

Comment

I wonder if there's any 9intention on ever looking at the high quantum powers.

On the one hand--they were fun to read. On the other hand, I recall wondering why any nova with some of those powers would listen to China's silly little ultimatum.

On the third hand, the scale rules do a lot to allow for the boosting of published powers so you may not need dedicated high quantum powers.

Comment

Chinas little ultimatum was not a issue to many novas, don’t need even to use high quantum powers, including Divis Mal, but they left because there would be nothing to be proud of in living in Earth after its destruction.

Now, high quantum powers are things that we can think about...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Weinbrenner View Post
            Novas Worldwide is a stretch goal (actually three stretch goals) from the kickstarter:
            That title really would've been prefect for an Aberrant world guide/gazetteer type book.

I would like to see a Year One book in which the PCs are there at ground zero for the Nova age and get to help establish what Novas are all about in the world.

Something that looks at the ins and outs of superhuman mental, physical and social powers and just how those can and do impact the setting would be nice also.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              Chinas little ultimatum was not a issue to many novas, don’t need even to use high quantum powers, including Divis Mal, but they left because there would be nothing to be proud of in living in Earth after its destruction.

Now, high quantum powers are things that we can think about...

Well it depends. I mean, at the 8-9 level, there were things that could have probably just "vanished" the nukes. TBH, a lot of them were fun to read, but actually use or incorporate in a campaign that they had the same issues a lot of the archmage sphere';s have, only without paradox keeping you from getting nuts.

Comment

I liked the power to make your own universe. It was great to read, fun to imagine, but in actual play as part of a campaign, well, how many players are going to make their own universe and then still adventure on Earth.

That said it could be a good starting point for a campaign. Say as the act of an elder nova or maybe some specialized nova tech.

Comment

Also if your planetary roommates suggest they'd rather commit mass suicide than continue living with you, it's the ultimate hint that one of you needs to move out. Presumably a lot of Novas prior to that point were still operating under the assumption that the Aberrant War could be settled and baselines and Novas would continue to live on Earth together once their list of problems was solved.

The Chinese Ultimatum was a clear statement that Novas and baselines couldn't coexist. Which makes Eden and Nippon quite the interesting counterexamples.

Comment

My impression of Aberrant War is:
                    ​Nova populations was somewhere between 6k and 10k, but the number of Novas effectively going against humanity was less than 100. The rest of the Novas were just doing their things, making money and exploring the universe, including Mal. But with a monstrous Medea Coverage and a monstrous increase in prejudice from regular people (most of them didn’t have any contact with Novas during their lives, except for what they see in TV).
                    It doesn’t mean the 100 Novas attacking humanity were not effective, they could do a lot of things, including all that is described in Aeon. 3 or 4 Novas could keep Olympus as hostage for years if needed, and 2 or 3 novas could destroy most of the Satellites around earth in a few hours.

When the Ultimatum is set, the Novas that were just hanging around get to conclusion that they are putting in risk people that don’t deserve it, and probably would fight against any Nova trying to stay behind.

When Mal says that he is leaving, he would also discourage any Novas to stay. The fact he is leaving is a proof that he agrees with the end of the war and agree that Earth does not belong to them, more than that, that Earth worth more than them (and that’s a lot). He even kill everyone in UN just to show that baselines are worthless, but yet he leaves to show Earth is not.

Probably Mal action has a greater impact on the aggressive Novas than the Ultimatum itself.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

From my understanding, what ultimately brough the fall of the nova age and the aberrant war was corruption by flux. For one reason or another, the effects of the accumulation of quantum flux and trascendence were poorly understood and research didn't yield any significant results till it was too late, at least outside of the Teragen who followed Divis Mal. As such, Novas from all factions, ideologies and morals started to become increasingly inhuman as they grew in power, sometimes by accident and sometimes on purpose. In the end these alien minded gods, divorced from any human perspective, started doing wathever they wanted, consecuencies for humanity be dammed. Perhaps only 100, a minority, declared war on humanity, but 100 crazy gods can cause a lot of damage, and that's without taking into account those who hurt people by accident and were completely indiferent to their suffering. When the aberrant war finally erupted there was nothing that could be done, humanity's faith in Novas had been completely broken as they saw them all as ticking time bombs ready to become monsters sooner or later, regardless of their good intentions.

With that said and going back to the topic at hand what I want is a book that would anwser this question: Why Divis Mal didn't do anything to prevent the aberrant war?

I know that he believed in respecting a Nova's right to pursue trascendence on their terms but, surely, a world filled with crazy monstrous gods could not have been his ideal society, right?

My personal theory, as the book says, is that Divis Mal wanted to be right more than anything, no matter the cost. If he had to involve himself in any way that would prove that Maxwell was right and his pride wouldn't let him.

Comment

My impression of Aberrant War is:
                        ​Nova populations was somewhere between 6k and 10k, but the number of Novas effectively going against humanity was less than 100. The rest of the Novas were just doing their things, making money and exploring the universe, including Mal. But with a monstrous Medea Coverage and a monstrous increase in prejudice from regular people (most of them didn’t have any contact with Novas during their lives, except for what they see in TV).
                        It doesn’t mean the 100 Novas attacking humanity were not effective, they could do a lot of things, including all that is described in Aeon. 3 or 4 Novas could keep Olympus as hostage for years if needed, and 2 or 3 novas could destroy most of the Satellites around earth in a few hours.

When the Ultimatum is set, the Novas that were just hanging around get to conclusion that they are putting in risk people that don’t deserve it, and probably would fight against any Nova trying to stay behind.

When Mal says that he is leaving, he would also discourage any Novas to stay. The fact he is leaving is a proof that he agrees with the end of the war and agree that Earth does not belong to them, more than that, that Earth worth more than them (and that’s a lot). He even kill everyone in UN just to show that baselines are worthless, but yet he leaves to show Earth is not.

Probably Mal action has a greater impact on the aggressive Novas than the Ultimatum itself.
                        This is my favourite interpretation.

Comment

There is also the N!WE supplement.

Comment

If people would like to continue the discussion about high-level nova powers etc, please take it to a new thread.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager
                            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

It occurs to me that it would be interesting to have something which explored unconventional setting options. While these kind of things are easier to come up with in futuristic sci fi like Æon or classic pulp like Adventure! (alien worlds and various hidden realms, respectively), it is a bit different in a sci fi superhuman setting like Aberrant which lacks a lot of the traditional tropes of four color comics. So I think it would be nice to have something which talked about having Nova characters who are mainly focused on exploring or living in the deep oceans, Antarctica, space stations, moon bases, Mars colonies, astroid mining facilities and the like.
                              Last edited by No One of Consequence; 11-09-2020, 04:38 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                              X