Natural Novas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    …which brings up an interesting point that I hope that TC:A! addresses: is all well and good when the characters in game don't understand the difference; but if they're three distinct kinds of things, the rules ought to address them as such. Otherwise, you get gamers claiming that Telluric Energy is a blending of the three.
    That should be easily handled by a single sidebar. I actually like the idea of providing one power stat and just defining how much power the three splats can hold, and how long it takes them to recharge. Simplifying things lets you assign more of the page count to things like setting info and powers. Given a choice between more powers and 100% OOC accuracy, I want powers.

Comment

I think Dataweaver is correct. If the 3 are different, even if you call them the same name in game (and have a side bar telling it’s not the same). They could work slightly different, the dynamic gifts could work similar to Superior powers, while Psychic gifts could work as the base powers and first dots of the modes (requiring the previous to be chosen), for example.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        I think Dataweaver is correct. If the 3 are different, even if you call them the same name in game (and have a side bar telling it’s not the same). They could work slightly different, the dynamic gifts could work similar to Superior powers, while Psychic gifts could work as the base powers and first dots of the modes (requiring the previous to be chosen), for example.
        Those differences can play out in the differences between the Stalwarts, Mesmerists, and Talent/Daredevil power mechanics rather than needing to differentiate the rules for “Z waves”.

Also I strongly suspect the Adventure! rules will prioritize genre emulation over setting physics verisimilitude.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Those differences can play out in the differences between the Stalwarts, Mesmerists, and Talent/Daredevil power mechanics rather than needing to differentiate the rules for “Z waves”.

Also I strongly suspect the Adventure! rules will prioritize genre emulation over setting physics verisimilitude.
          That would be useful technology for hacking for the various settings of your dreams.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Agree on that, the difference can stay only in the way the gifts work.

My take for Dinamic and Psychic knacks would be based both on how Superiors powers are described, with ranked powers that have requisites on edges or attributes, or a level of inspiration.

Personaly, I would leave the facets to Talents and use Fortes (Physical, Mental and Social) with the Stalwarts and Aptitudes (Biological, Cognition and Energeric, name is a bit lacking, but you got the idea) for Mesmerists.

Comment

All I know is I hope that the mechanics are close enough for all three groups that a ST could take a power from one category and use them in another for either NPC hedge cases or when players have interesting ideas.

Comment

I did say that I'm hoping that TC:A! addresses the matter, and then I pointed out examples of reasons why the matter ought to be addressed. What I didn't say is how they should address those issues. From the timeline, TC:A! has been written and is awaiting editorial approval; so however they intend to address the matter is probably already baked into the cake.

That said: of it were me, I probably would address it more or less along the lines of what glamourweaver described: character creation works the same for all three, with the only difference being that Stalwarts and Mesmerists have their own kinds of Gifts; but the mechanics behind how Dynamic Gifts work and how Psychic Gifts work are different, and echo the differences between their counterparts' powers in the other games; and the way Inspiration works gets tweaked (sometimes in small ways, sometimes in big ways) depending on whether you're a Daredevil, Stalwart, or Mesmerist. Then include a box like what Shepherdboi suggested, explaining why the mechanics for using Inspiration vary between the three types of Inspired.

I'm not advocating that TC:A! write up and present three entirely separate power systems: just that if Flux, Quantum, and Psi are in fact three distinct things, that that distinction be integrated into the rules.

“How Inspiration could differ according to which kind of Inspired you're dealing with” would include such things as:

• the Super-science section specifying that powered Super-science is either Dynamic or Psychic, and that each can only be powered by Inspiration from the proper type of Inspired: Stalwarts can't power Psychic innovations, Mesmerists can't power Dynamic innovations, and Daredevils can't power either.

• Stalwarts replace access to Dramatic Editing with some sort of “surpass your limits” rule, and Mesmerists replace it with some sort of “psychic synergy” rule. All three types get something special, but what they get depends on what they are.

• Stalwarts and Mesmerists replace the Intuitive/Reflective/Destructive split with something more in keeping with what they are, sorry of like what Mateus Luz suggested. A Physical/Mental/Social split for Stalwarts could be used as a sort of shorthand for the sets of Mega-Attributes in TC:Ab, with Howard Stark's Inspiration manifesting in the Mental Facet while Steve Rogers' Inspiration manifests in the physical (just to borrow two Golden Age examples from the MCU). An Bio/Energy/Sensory for Mesmerists could reflect the divided nature of the Aptitude in TC:Æ without going full-on “one Aptitude per character”; is just that a mesmerist with a high “Energetic” Facet would be more adept with Psychic Gifts in line with TK or EK abilities, etc.

That's the sort of thing that I'm thinking of.
                Last edited by Dataweaver; 11-12-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Honestly, thinking out of the box, Novas Maxing out are not different from Psions reaching higher dots, the difference is Novas gain flux (what Stalwarts should not) and have flexible power evolution, while Psions have linear power evolution, so they can only advance in a certain direction.

Comment

Working...
                  X