Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to replicate Marvel Style Mutants ect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget his web slingers. That's definitely q tech. Not particularly powerful q tech, but q tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Don't forget his web slingers. That's definitely q tech. Not particularly powerful q tech, but q tech.
      Sure. Websligers are his master craft work that he is always reworking. I would make it a ran 5 Qtech with a set of quantum attacks (entangle, web bomb and web ball) and the Swing Movement Mode

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Answering the OP question: whine a lot about being feared and hated while still having to protect humanity.

Comment

I don’t really have anything new to say, but I love X-Men stuff and I really Like this question. I do think you can simulate characters like Professor X and Jean Grey using just quantum powers (you don’t need to give them psi for the setting to work).

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post
            Answering the OP question: whine a lot about being feared and hated while still having to protect humanity.
            Hoho

What about other hard to replicate because they are game breaking powers? Like rogues it would be fun for an NPC to have her power. Maybe give you insanity of dual identity until you buy off with Exp the new power if you permanently stole it.

Or mimic able to mimic five different super power templates at half strength I guess I would treat it as a level lower or with increased difficulty depending on the powers

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
              I don’t really have anything new to say, but I love X-Men stuff and I really Like this question. I do think you can simulate characters like Professor X and Jean Grey using just quantum powers (you don’t need to give them psi for the setting to work).
              Reading someone's mind falls under the Psi Aptitude, Telepathy. Full stop. So does directly controlling someone's mind. Or erasing their memories. Now, maybe you can kinda/sorta/not-exactly kludge some of those effects through Quantum abilities and Mega-Edges, but if you want to do what Jean Grey and especially Professor X do, you need Psi powers. Jean Grey would be a very powerful Psiad with Primary Aptitudes in Telepathy and Psychokinesis. Professor X would be a "natural Psion" with the Aptitude Mode, Telepathy and Proxy-level powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

What about other hard to replicate because they are game breaking powers? Like rogues it would be fun for an NPC to have her power. Maybe give you insanity of dual identity until you buy off with Exp the new power if you permanently stole it.

Or mimic able to mimic five different super power templates at half strength I guess I would treat it as a level lower or with increased difficulty depending on the powers
                Quantum Imprint is the power for that. Rogue has only really permanently drained a few people. So, her normal method of using her powers would use Quantum Imprint with the Extra Power (bought multiple times) and Theft tags. Mimic would also use Quantum Imprint with copious use of the Extra Power tag. You could do his half-power restriction as either some kind of negative power tag or else just be keeping his dots in Quantum Imprint low, since that sets a cap on the number of dots you can mimic in a power.

ETA: Rogue and Mimic might not need quite as many Extra Power tags as I thought. Power suites count as one power. So, you can steal/copy a whole power suite without using the Extra Power tag.
                Last edited by Florin; 11-11-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Cool how permanent is that though?

I am glad they are versatile in Aberrant. I need to read it thoroughly now that it is out.

Comment

Depends how many power tags you want to throw on it. The base is Quantum + Quantum Imprint rounds. If you add Duration power tags to it, you can get it up to Quantum + Quantum Imprint days. You can always re-up the duration by spending the activation cost again at the end of the duration.

Comment

I'd argue the three paths are broken up in X-men. Domino and and Longshot are clearly running on Talent or maybe higher level Paramorph tricks(as Might Scarlet witch!). Professor x doesn't rock megattributes and there seems to be a whole setup for psychics and psychics alone in x-men comics that others really don't play with. THE only character I think really requires multiple types of Mechanics.. might be... Legion? But his powers are all over the place.

You just replace Inspiration with the x-gene and you've pretty much go it in one. Now if you want some sort of commonality of X powers in a universe where the Increadible Hulk and Thor exist that's going to be a lot harder to pull off with the continuum as presented.

Comment

Once again, I should point out the Trinity Continuum isn't trying to be a generic superheroes game, any more than Exalted is generic D&D fantasy. You're going to have to stretch concepts to fit, if you want to keep the setting. And if you want to change the setting to fit the concepts, that's the realm of house rules. Which means if you want pure-Aberrant X-men, they don't have psychic powers, they have various Mega-Int stuff that does the "my theory of mind is sophisticated enough to simulate another person's thought to a high degree of accuracy" thing.

As it is, it's probably not incredibly broken in context to simply dispose of the "you can only be a Nova, a Psion/ad, or a Talent" restriction and to either unify the power stats or allow someone to have multiple and track them seperately. I'd probably keep the 'different branches of powers interfere with each other' thing from mainline TC since directly combining Nova powers and Psi stuff (let alone Dramatic Editing and Gifts) isn't something the system was ever tested to do, but hey, why not try it and see what blows up?

Does mean you need to buy the other books, but I was doing that anyway so no skin off my nose.

Comment

But i honestly can't think of a character who wouldn't slot one side or the other? Maybe Shatterstar? Legion? Most Mutants fall into "Luck/probabiliy manipulators" "Psychics" and Supers. I mean there's even treated as some difference the firestarting ability of Jean Grey and the fire starting ability of Pyro. The Stepford cookoos even show the whole unified psychic powers that you can't get from nova powers period.

Comment

Doctor Strange being a Sorcerer doesn't quite fit the bill for being just one type.

Onslaught was kind of all over the place but I guess that is just God level Psi, even with Magneto's power tossed in. Proteus had Psionic Powers and Reality powers so that is kind of too gonzo for Psi unless we see some Psi 10 stuff its more Psi and Quantum.

I guess for things like Miora's reincarnation power you could just use a plot device power and not worry about it.

Comment

My point in put every mutant in the same bag is not about Quantum itself, but to have a single set of rules that cover all mutations, so Rogue can drain any of them following same rules.

I would make it another “source” calling Quantum as X-Gene, or what ever. Other heroes would have other rule sets, maybe Asgardians follow something closer to psi, except for the higher scale in general, and “normal humans” like Tony Stark work closer to Talents but with some access to Novatech creation.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I really would like to have at some point in a game some folks from another Universe who don't follow the Quantum/Flux/Psi Paradigm so this is an interesting discussion.

How necessary is a Power Trait? It works for some like say Asgardians, or some Godlike Omega level mutants and Psychics, or even folks like Magneto who clearly improved over their lifetime.

But others don't really have some powerful lifeforce like trait, though I guess someone like Wolverine could use say a Talent Template with a few slapped on powers as he mostly works on improving his skills rather then powers.

Comment

Working...
                                X