Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to replicate Marvel Style Mutants ect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing most superheroes have, and all Mutants have for sure, is a defined scope of powers and a “kind of” described power level. While Aberrant and most RPGs is all about personal advance and evolving powers. They are a bit incompatible, even more if you think a Nova will suddenly gain a new transformation. There are exceptions (The Beast is there to show) but they are usually related to external sources, not about genetics going nuts.

That said, a power trait is a tangible thing we see in many situations, we try to classify characters and eventually the writers create an scale for that. The mutant levels for example fit awesomely well to quantum levels, a level 5 mutant (Jean) has an entire scale of power above a level 4 mutant (Magneto), and most of the X-man are level 3 mutants.

But it’s not just that, you must define in game rules how the things work, if you don’t have a power trait you don’t have a proper energy consumption defined (that’s basically the main need for a quantum trait) or a uneven character, almost unplayable, with a trait as high as possible and nothing else. Superiors are an exception, first because they don’t use Energy, second because they have a power cap reachable from starting level, they CAN reach their maximum level in several powers at same time from char gen, basically they all have Quantum 1.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Technically, they don't. Quantum 1 is incompatible with Psi 1, and Superiors have Psi 1.

Comment

Short answer? You can't replicate X-men comics in Aberrant. Aberrant tries to "simulate power levels" where X-Men is "narrative power levels". You can basically make X-men using more narrative focused games like Fate, Masks, Words In Peril, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (or the Cortex Prime version that is coming).

I am not saying you can't create characters with some of their powers, but many unique things that exists in X-Men and similar comics are either impossible without house-rules or you must spend so much points to make it similar that the characters would have big differences in XP to spend. These other games I cited are best for doing comics, Aberrant is RPG of superpowered characters, not RPG for simulating comics logic.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post

Reading someone's mind falls under the Psi Aptitude, Telepathy. Full stop. So does directly controlling someone's mind. Or erasing their memories. Now, maybe you can kinda/sorta/not-exactly kludge some of those effects through Quantum abilities and Mega-Edges, but if you want to do what Jean Grey and especially Professor X do, you need Psi powers. Jean Grey would be a very powerful Psiad with Primary Aptitudes in Telepathy and Psychokinesis. Professor X would be a "natural Psion" with the Aptitude Mode, Telepathy and Proxy-level powers.
          Yeah, that works too. You could always create your own Quantum powers to simulate Jean Grey’s and Professor X’s abilities.
          Last edited by Penelope; 11-12-2020, 07:39 PM.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            Technically, they don't. Quantum 1 is incompatible with Psi 1, and Superiors have Psi 1.
            The idea is more like, they all have the power trait at same level. But you got me...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
            X