Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] [Core] The Relation between Quantum Flux and “Talent Flux”.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] [Core] The Relation between Quantum Flux and “Talent Flux”.

(Note: in order to avoid confusion, I’ll refer Core Rulebook’s “Flux” as “Talent-Flux”).

The first time I read the concepts of Quantum-Flux and talent-Flux I became very confused. If they really are the same thing, it doesn’t make sense to me.

According to the books, Talent-Flux is:

“Flux is the energy that arises when two parallel di*mensions come into close contact with one another. Flux is generated any time two realities exist at the same time. Better put, when someone or something breaks the normal flow of events and probability, flux occurs. Sometimes, this occurs naturally from places where two realities are very similar, and lit*tle can happen to change that.” (Trinity Continuum Core- pg. 13).

“The energies created when two worlds close within the continuum collide with one another. Flux manifests either as singular events, or as places where the barrier between worlds is weak.” (Trinity Continuum Core- pg. 17)

“Flux is the inherent energy that exists in the space between worlds. This reality is not the only one; in fact, there are multiple universes in which people and places exist in a large continuum of parallel worlds. Flux is the matter that holds these together, and any time something happens to manipulate or transcend the worlds, a flux event occurs.” (Trinity Continuum Core- pg. 151)

“Inspiration is the flux that surrounds a Talent, fills her, and lets her tap into energy that allows her to perform extraordinary feats.” (Trinity Continuum Core- pg. 151)
    “Flux is the matter that holds these together, and any time something happens to manipulate or transcend the worlds, a flux event occurs.” (Trinity Continuum Core- pg. 151)
    and Quantum-Flux is:

“Novas accumulate Flux from the use of their powers, particularly pushing those powers to their limits. Accumulated Flux can lead to an in*creasing Transcendence for the nova and causing Transformations, both physical and mental, what some call “aberrations” of body and mind. For many novas these amount to random mutations, but tech*niques known to the Teragen can control and direct the process, allowing novas to choose how they transform or to change those transformations.” (Trinity Continuum Aberrant- pg. 89)

“Quantum Flux: The unique and inexplicable variations to physical laws that permit humans to erupt into novas and novas’ Quantum powers to function. Popularly, but mistakenly referred to as Corruption.” (Trinity Continuum Aeon- pg. 23)

“(...) However, in the Nova Age, Quantum Flux was identified as the unique and inexplicable variations to physical laws that permit humans to erupt into novas and novas’ Quantum powers to function.” (Trinity Continuum Aeon- pg. 192)

During TCAberrant’s Kickstart I asked the Devs about it. They promptly answered that Talent-Flux and Quantum-Flux are NOT the same thing, but are indeed related (but didn’t told us what is this relation).

TCAberrant manuscript solved the issue about being (or not) the same thing like this:

“Technically the Flux a Talent uses as their Inspiration isn’t quite the same thing as Quantum Flux. In most cases the point is moot, but for the Healing power (and indeed, all of Aberrant), we’re talking specifically about Quantum Flux.” (Trinity Continuum Aberrant Full Manuscript- pg. 195)”
    However, when I read the current version of TCAberrant (the october’s book sent to backers), the text was changed to:

“As Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook says, Flux is the inherent energy in the space between worlds, the overlapping potentiality of the continuum of parallel realities. Talents use this uncertainty to “push” reality one way or another to suit their needs. The powers of novas place them in a state of “quantum flux” as they exert their power over the funda*mental forces of the universe. This energy can build up over time, pushing the nova further and further away from baseline humanity.” (Trinity Continuum Aberrant- pg. 89)

Unfortunately, the way this sidebar is written, it seems that it gives us two completely unrelated informations: it’s not clear if Talent-Flux and Quantum-Flux are the same thing or not, and if there is any direct relation between them.

So, I ask everyone (and The Devs):

1) Is there any relation between Talent-Flux and Quantum-Flux?

2) What is this relation, exactly?

That said, my suggestion is that you rewrite this text (TCAberrant sidebar,p.89), so this becomes 100% clear to everyone.

In a nutshell, the relationship between the two is that they are both called flux. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      In a nutshell, the relationship between the two is that they are both called flux. Nothing more, nothing less.
      Correct.

"Flux" is the subtle energies of probability that ripple between parallel dimensions, subconsciously manipulated by Talents.

"Quantum Flux" is the collective term for the energies of the four fundamental forces: the strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity, and electromagnetism. It's consciously manipulated by novas to dramatic effect.
      Last edited by IanWatson; 11-14-2020, 02:44 PM.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager
      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

So I know its too late now but I really wish they didn't use the same word for two different and unrelated things.

Comment

The word Quantum Flux is being used since the Core KS, specifically in Aeon when they talk about Quantum Flux Zones and Aberrants, so even if Aberrant was still to be “corrected”, Aeon already had this term in use for some time.

I know it was not a big deal back then, but yes, it is there.

To be honest, Flux for Talents is hardly used anywhere other than when they talk about how you become a Talent, so when we talk about Flux, it’s much more probable it’s talking about Quantum Flux, specifically the Flux value of Novas, than any other Flux.

Now, on the other hand, Talents CAN use Q-Tech spending Inspiration, that is like a personal pool of Flux (Talent Flux, this time), what put the Talent Flux with some compatibility to Quantum Flux.
          I would say they possibly can use powered Biotech (they can use Inspired Biotech the same way as Neutrals) spending Inspiration the same way as a Psion spends Psi, so it would balance the things around...
          The limited Inspiration pool would justify why it don’t happen often (same for Q-tech) and the fact they appear to be (and indeed are) Neutrals/Latent would make people crazy (“How did that Neutral/Latent could use that equipment?”)

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            The word Quantum Flux is being used since the Core KS, specifically in Aeon when they talk about Quantum Flux Zones and Aberrants, so even if Aberrant was still to be “corrected”, Aeon already had this term in use for some time.
            Actually people complained about it then as well. There were multiple conversations about how using the same word to mean two different things will cause confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

Actually people complained about it then as well. There were multiple conversations about how using the same word to mean two different things will cause confusion.
              Indeed... it was like an eternity ago... This game is not that new...

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                So I know its too late now but I really wish they didn't use the same word for two different and unrelated things.
                exactly! But I don't think it's too late, Aberrant isn't out yet.

"Now, on the other hand, Talents CAN use Q-Tech spending Inspiration, that is like a personal pool of Flux (Talent Flux, this time), what put the Talent Flux with some compatibility to Quantum Flux. (...)"
                This is a perfect practical example of why using the same word makes everything very confusing.
                This is even worse when we use Crossover, such as in an Aberrant party in which there are one or more Talent players.

To the Devs: Is there any particular reason you chose to use "Flux" in both cases?

Comment

Originally posted by Timecrafter View Post
                  This is even worse when we use Crossover, such as in an Aberrant party in which there are one or more Talent players.
                  A Talent would never refers to Flux, even a in the general game you hardly talks about Talent Flux, Inspiration would be the term used both in game and in the rules usually, so It’s not really a big deal.

But I agree it’s not a good idea.

Comment

This is a perfect practical example of why using the same word makes everything very confusing.
                    I agree!!!
                    Last edited by Jonnes.Derik; 11-14-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

What the core book calls flux actually refers to the difference between two parallel realities that a talent can tap into. I would be inclined to call that “Potential” — a term which has both a physics meaning (e.g., every location in a field has a Potential rating; and the difference in the Potentials of two points in the field is the amount of work you can accomplish by trying them together) and a narrative meaning (someone or something's potential is how much they're capable of; so Talent with access to a lot of Potential should be able to do far more than one who doesn't).

Someone with a lot of Inspiration (the permanent rating) would have access to a lot of Potential (what's currently called Inspiration's associated pool of expendable points, e.g., “spend Inspiration to…” would become “spend Potential to…”).

This leaves Flux as Quantum Flux.

Comment

What the core book calls flux actually refers to the difference between two parallel realities that a talent can tap into. I would be inclined to call that “Potential” — a term which has both a physics meaning (e.g., every location in a field has a Potential rating; and the difference in the Potentials of two points in the field is the amount of work you can accomplish by trying them together) and a narrative meaning (someone or something's potential is how much they're capable of; so Talent with access to a lot of Potential should be able to do far more than one who doesn't).

Someone with a lot of Inspiration (the permanent rating) would have access to a lot of Potential (what's currently called Inspiration's associated pool of expendable points, e.g., “spend Inspiration to…” would become “spend Potential to…”).

Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Correct.

"Flux" is the subtle energies of probability that ripple between parallel dimensions, subconsciously manipulated by Talents.

"Quantum Flux" is the collective term for the energies of the four fundamental forces: the strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity, and electromagnetism. It's consciously manipulated by novas to dramatic effect.
                          And my much earlier "Hey, maybe we should call one of these things both called Flux something else" gets a little love.

Comment

I LOVED this idea!!! Kudos!!! Potential is a perfect name.

Comment

Working...
                            X