No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] Talents and Quantum-Tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Err… the “Potential Paradigm”, as you put it, is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Yes! I just work a little on top of it.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post

Talents are kind of random and arbitrary. They deal with probability and "the art of the possible." Is it possible that there's a little Q-juice left in the tank of the Q-thingie to make it work? Possibly.

Does that mean that after they beat him, one could use the Inseminoid's Death-Sperm gun to "depregnify" the area to keep the ladies there from birthing evil hentai tentacle monsters? Hopefully. Can they then add the Death-Sperm gun to their permanent arsenal (why would you, you vile creep)? No.
        😂😂😂😂

OMG this made me laugh

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Ok, sorry. Credits to you then

Comment

TC:Æ p.336: Mode Analog.
            I’m pretty sure that’s mechanics shorthand to cover various power concepts without Aberrant, not an in-setting ability to replicate Psi.

Edit: oh Bunyip covered it
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-15-2020, 03:48 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I’m pretty sure that’s mechanics shorthand to cover various power concepts without Aberrant, not an in-setting ability to replicate Psi.

Edit: oh Bunyip covered it
              Pretty much. It's not really anything new. White Wolf used to do it all the time. You have Vampire: The Masquerade and want to run your vamps against a Mage or a Werewolf. So, they'd kludge a few of the Disciplines and powers to give you an idea what that would be like so you didn't have to drop $30.00 on a different game to get an antagonist. Or, in our case so "Yes, your team has cornered the Aberrant. That battle is about to begin... in maybe a year or two when I get the Aberrant rules." wouldn't be a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                Not really. A Talent using their Inspiration to activate a Nova device is the same as using Dramatic Editing to say, "there is a trap door hidden under the rug." It may not have previously been true in the game's universe, but it was true somewhere, and the Talent imposed that truth onto the world. Some version of the Nova device in some distant alternate reality may have been firing at that moment, so the Talent forced the local version to fire.

Talent-Flux is a matter of manipulating weak points between dimensions to pull properties from elsewhere. Since quantum-flux is a thing that exists, it is a thing that can be affected by those manipulations, just like everything else. This gives quantum-flux the same exact relationship with Talent-flux as everything else that exists.

This is the correct answer. Talents don't just play with probabilities. They play with dimensional probabilities. Somewhere, in some dimension, the device is working at the very moment the Talent needs it to work. And they just port that dimension's reality onto their own with a little Inspiration.

Danielle Lauzon, Requiem Developer, Storypath Guru, freelance writer

Comment

But novas are not quantum batteries, as per 2nd ed paradigm. They channel the quantum all around us, and the quantum pools are an abstraction of how much they can pull safely, and in a controlled fashion, without taking a break.

So, since quantum energies are all around us, MAYBE the quantum pseudo-random field generates itself inside the q-tech, MAYBE NOT. It'd be extremely unlikely for it to happen, a thermodynamic miracle! Someone would have to be very, very lucky for it to happen.

Hence, talents can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Ah, from TC: Aeon for Aberrant NPCs. That’s not a power that lets them imitate psi with quantum. That’s a system hack to let NPCs produce psi-like effects so the Storyguide can say ‘yes, this one shoots lightning like a Photokinesis effect’. And it has nothing to do with PC novas.

In the prime Continuum, psi can have some manipulation of Quantum via Quantakinesis, Quantum can’t manipulate psi.
                    As a note, between the term confusion and the way the TC is built to encourage 'crossover' games, perhaps adding some guidelines in some supplement (perhaps Adventure!, when it comes, since you have low-level quantum, psi, and flux users all) to clear up 'what's a system hack', 'what is IC term confusion' and 'what is actually consistent between character types' is in order.

As it is, in the literal rules as written a group could be forgiven for assuming Nova-era talents are swimming in Inspiration because there are so many 'flux sources' around them to recover it from.

Comment

Relax, Adventure will bring another level of confusion, with Telluric Energy, Inspiration and Knacks working for everyone.
                      Except if not...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                        But novas are not quantum batteries, as per 2nd ed paradigm. They channel the quantum all around us, and the quantum pools are an abstraction of how much they can pull safely, and in a controlled fashion, without taking a break.

So, since quantum energies are all around us, MAYBE the quantum pseudo-random field generates itself inside the q-tech, MAYBE NOT. It'd be extremely unlikely for it to happen, a thermodynamic miracle! Someone would have to be very, very lucky for it to happen.

Hence, talents can do it.
                        This is a real "ahah, taste the soup" situation and I'm all for it.

Comment

I have to admit I like the idea of there being a Talent Gift that lets them interface with say specifically made Quantum tech in an empowered way. This would allow for say Colonel James Rhodes to be a Talent who is able to make empowered use of the War Machine q-tech armor made for him by the Nova Tony Stark.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                            I have to admit I like the idea of there being a Talent Gift that lets them interface with say specifically made Quantum tech in an empowered way. This would allow for say Colonel James Rhodes to be a Talent who is able to make empowered use of the War Machine q-tech armor made for him by the Nova Tony Stark.
                            Yeah I love that interpretation.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

That’s what Nova-Tech is for, and how something that starts at one tier can be made more accessible - hence Rhodie’s armor is Nova-tech (Mega-Int needed to make it, but any sufficently skilled person can use it), while Tony’s armor is always the current cutting edge of Q-Tech.

That said, I do have a Talent Gift in my forthcoming Nexus Project, that allows a Talent to change what Q-Tech can do for the one shot they can get off with it - the Gift is called “Reverse the Polarity!”
                              Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-22-2020, 05:36 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Or he spent the XP he got in Iron Man on an Artifact 5/Wondrous Item 3 defined as the War Machine suit.

Comment

Working...
                                X