[Æon] Basic Aptitude power question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] Basic Aptitude power question

While Modes are stated as gaining an Enhancement when using powers of the Mode at a lower level than your current dot rating, what is the Enhancement bonus (if any) for using the basic powers of an Aptitude?
    Example for clarity: If I have 3 dots of Mindshare, using Network (1 dot of Mindshare) would net me a +2 Enhancement on that roll to activate, for example, and the 2 dot Mindshare power (can't recall) would net a +1 enhancement. What about the rolls of the basic powers? Would they get an Enhancement equal to my highest Mode? I know they roll a dice pool equal to Psi+highest Mode, so I would assume the Enhancement would be based similarly but wanted another opinion.

Basic powers count as 0-dot and characters get the usual Enhancement bonus. This means even a novice psion with only 1 dot in a single Mode will gain +1 Enhancement to the Basic Power activation.

Remember that dice should only be rolled when it’s interesting or risky, or the character failing would lead to drama. I’d rarely call for anyone to have to roll to use their Basic powers unless under considerable duress - generally just allow automatic activation and give highest Mode dots successes if needed.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Interesting. I've been running them as "non-dot" powers. So, I haven't been granting any enhancement bonus. I don't think that would have changed my game any, but it's good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
        Interesting. I've been running them as "non-dot" powers. So, I haven't been granting any enhancement bonus. I don't think that would have changed my game any, but it's good to know.
        As far as I remember, no Base power needs more than 2 successes to be full power. Maybe some can use a few more, but other than that is basically it, having 5 enhancements from a 5dot mode hardly have any use.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

As far as I remember, no Base power needs more than 2 successes to be full power. Maybe some can use a few more, but other than that is basically it, having 5 enhancements from a 5dot mode hardly have any use.
          Burst under EK is probably the only one which springs to mind.

Comment

Mindspeak for Telepathy let's you talk with other mind directly, and the more alien the more of a complication to overcome. Having the enhancement makes it much more likely to overcome barriers communicating even with alien species.

Comment

Mindspeak does rely on successes for understanding alien minds, but it’s an unusual situation where it will be relevant as the Complication doesn’t sidestep the other limitations on the power. That is, you still need a common language for anything beyond raw universal concepts (“Danger”, “Hungry”, “Scared”), and the subject has to be willing to allow the connection. So the level 4 Complication from the ‘scared and unwilling Chromatic’ doesn’t happen unless that Chromatic has willingly accepted the connection (even though it’s unwilling to ‘speak’) and you won’t get more than basic concepts through the +4 Complication if it doesn’t speak the same language as you. (And it’s a Chromatic, it doesn’t.)

Mindspeak is good for talking silently with people you know, it’s good for establishing a very basic connection with the unfamiliar, but it’s not a universal translator communication device. You’ll need Mindshare for that.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post

It wouldn’t change much as most Basic powers are on/off without much interaction with successes. (Except Burst to an extent, and Mindspeak. Possibly a couple of others.)

Comment

Working...
                X