No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] Second Generation Novas in the new edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would have to be at least Q5 that way all five dot Mega-Edges can be bought and such. It also provides a max of 5 dots of each Mega-Attributes which really when one thinks of it is a very powerful tier of capability (especially with my house rule that Mega-Attributes add dot rating as either Scale or Enhancement to everything that uses said base Attribute but that is neither here nor there). I could also see, if Quantum is 'limited', to maybe making some exceptions on how many Techniques one can buy in order to allow for continued expansion of capability even if power threshold is reached.

Comment

I don't know if i'd cap it--in my experience, saying "no" can annoyplayers, and the core of being a nova is that goodhood is possible--not for society, but for you.

What I'd do, rather than making it outright impossible, would be to gate it behind things. Just as an example, essence 5 requires the Nova to spend more XP and gain more dots in related powers, because you're not rocketing to god hood and mutating yourself--you're slowly expanding your limits while retaining your essence. Perhaps a form of chrysalis--but the intent is to make trying to get up in quantum the kind of decision that has a radical impacton game play and character concept rather than "Oh, right , I think I'll grab me a new dot of essence."

As for the first edition Novas from Japan, I think that they were largely writing as novas, rather than anything else, because they didn't have the page count to do a new system.

For the possible offspring, I'd have superiors as they're written right now, be a possible outcome of a low quantum nova or nova/baseline pairing, or possibly a baseline/baseline where both are latents, Talents and psiads are also possible. the only time you're likely to get an honest to god Second gen nova (of whatever type) out of the mix is if two novas are the parents or the nova parent is say, quantum 4+.

The nice thing about that is that it explains why in the Trinity era, the second generation novas really aren't that well known--many of them were subtle and could have passed for someone that Mom and Dad bought a genetic transformation or some other weird bit of Nova tech. Japan arrived at their own process independently, and believe that they were the first to create superiors.

Comment

The discussion is good, but it’s getting me anxious. I am so curious about Stalwarts and how they are going to make it...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          The discussion is good, but it’s getting me anxious. I am so curious about Stalwarts and how they are going to make it...

As am I. I mean, we already have the "low level sort of novas" with Superiors. So I doubt Stalwarts will just be "humans with better stats".

It'll be interesting, and TBH, i haven't seen a single thing or product with this 2E that I haven't loved, so the writers have got a lot of cred...

Comment

I wonder if Stalwarts will be kind of like a mix of Superior and Talent. Adventure will have their specials probably all have powers closer to talent builds so no modes for Meamerists but individual powers purchases as gifts and the like.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

My bet would go on something closer to Superior Powers, with possible ranks to the powers. It also can create “mini modes” that interact with each other.

Comment

I like the idea of making the Stalwart and Mesmerist powers in a similar format to that of the Gifts of Talents, just focused on their own realms rather than the luck element of them. That said I wouldn't mind multiple ranks of powers because it represents that one can grow in capability in a particular ability.

I said this before but I really hope that the mechanics are basically close enough that as a GM one could allow say a special Mesmerist to use Stalwart or Daredevil powers, the same for a specials Stalwart.

I'm actually really looking for Adventure! as there is so much potential in that level of powered people.

Its while the idea of having the second generation nova being a bit more structured in some ways works for me. It lets there be more social development when you can tell the general nature of what can be possible.

I mean imagine if there was a Nova-variant that, with some small exceptions, were entirely Mega-Attribute and Mega-Edge based. Said world would be very interesting in what can and cannot occur among its super powered people.

Comment

We're getting off topic here; but my preference would be something like this:

• Talents are unchanged.
                  • Stalwarts get Dynamic Gifts (which are like Superior Powers), replace the Intuitive/Reflective/Destructive Facets with Physical/Mental/Social Facets that serve as sort of “lightweight Mega-Attributes” and which factor into the Dynamic Gifts; and Dramatic Editing is replaced with some sort of “Plus Ultra” mechanic by which Inspiration can be used to further buff a Facet.
                  • Mesmerists get Psychic Gifts (similar to the individual powers in a Mode), replace the Facets with Kinetic/Healer/Mentalist Facets (which more or less correspond to PK/EK, BioK/VitaK, and Clairvoyance/Telepathy) which can be used in a manner similar to the Basic abilities of the corresponding Aptitudes and which also factor into the Psychic Gifts, and replace Dramatic Editing with some sort of “gestalt mechanic”.

Comment

In 1e Dynamic and Psychic Knacks worked different from Heroic Knacks, so I think there is no need to make everything "Gifty".

In 1e Players Guide there is something about balancing the costs and (I may be wrong, I read it before the pandemic, so it feels like 5 years ago) about a world where Novas had no powers, only Mega Attributes and Enhancements (what we call Mega Edges now).

The idea of Novas locked on Mega Attributes and Mega Edges is very interesting. I would allow Novas to create Q-Tech with Powers, what may fit on a different setting, closer to Adventure! Psiads gain paranormal powers while Novas gain self improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      In 1e Dynamic and Psychic Knacks worked different from Heroic Knacks, so I think there is no need to make everything "Gifty".
                      Agreed. Adventure! had three racks for Dynamic and Psychic Knacks, and hinted (in the Super-science section) that there might be more; I wouldn't mind if TC:A! follows this precedent.

Comment

So I was thinking about various comments here and the idea of the second gen being completely sane while their parents have gone all nuts is an interesting one. I mean imagine it, you are a child of a nova who raised you and loved you and taught you about your nature, your powers, your self. While they were much older then you, for the longest time you could connect with them, but in time that became harder and harder to do. Then they seemed to start sprouting 'nonsense' about universal foundations and fractal patterns and societal matrices that all gave them the right to act in destructive ways. You tried to calm them, to get them to not be so destructive, but then they raged and blew up and before you knew it a building a village a town or even a city was gone.

But what is worse is that as you try and figure out your place in this growing craziness its like nobody wants you - the baseline humans think you are going to go crazy like your parents and your parents think you are too 'human' to be trusted. You are between a rock and a hard place and you don't know what to do.

I have to hope that even at its worse though the Aeon Society never turned their backs on the potential of good 'novas'. That even while Project Utopia was falling apart and such there were hands reaching out from Aeon going, "come here, we believe in you, we will protect you, you are safe here."

---

All that said, yeah, I really like the idea of a certain type of second gen Novas, or maybe even alien novas, who are focused entirely or almost entirely on Mega-Attributes, Mega-Edges, low-key non world shattering quantum powers, and the ability of superscience. That would be a very interesting interesting version of the quantum template.

​(I suddenly have the idea of a nova scientist creating a device that wraps a whole arcology in a quantum field that then is bounded to a warp field leading to the whole building at the moment where say a nuclear detonation would have destroyed it being transported to somewhere else, a planet in say a distant solar system or galaxy or whatnot.)

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

​(I suddenly have the idea of a nova scientist creating a device that wraps a whole arcology in a quantum field that then is bounded to a warp field leading to the whole building at the moment where say a nuclear detonation would have destroyed it being transported to somewhere else, a planet in say a distant solar system or galaxy or whatnot.)
                          I think it's clear I love all of this line of spitballing but the Robotech SDF1/Macross militarized city unstuck in time and space solving intergalactic mysteries, thwarting alien genocides and eventually being a thorn in the side of the Doyen.

Comment

Ever read James Blish's Cities in Flight series? The FTL premise is a drive system that becomes more and more efficient the larger the field gets, so wrapping its field around a city is more cost-efficient than trying to build starships. (There's a practical upper limit, as the power requirements are always going up the bigger the thing is; so you don't see the field applied to planets, for instance: the raw cost is just too much. But cities? Very much doable.)

There's also some stuff in there about a science of the cycles of civilization, kind of like Asimov's Psychohistory; but that's a whole different subject matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Anne Country View Post

I think it's clear I love all of this line of spitballing but the Robotech SDF1/Macross militarized city unstuck in time and space solving intergalactic mysteries, thwarting alien genocides and eventually being a thorn in the side of the Doyen.
                              I love the Macross setting focused on a large interstellar colonization fleet centered on a vast cityship. Its such a great idea. And yeah, this sort of epic adventure sounds really cool.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              Ever read James Blish's Cities in Flight series? The FTL premise is a drive system that becomes more and more efficient the larger the field gets, so wrapping its field around a city is more cost-efficient than trying to build starships. (There's a practical upper limit, as the power requirements are always going up the bigger the thing is; so you don't see the field applied to planets, for instance: the raw cost is just too much. But cities? Very much doable.)

There's also some stuff in there about a science of the cycles of civilization, kind of like Asimov's Psychohistory; but that's a whole different subject matter.
                              No but it sounds brilliant and so I will have to look it up. The idea that making a cityship is efficient is a brilliant thing to me. I said arcology above but I could also picture a vaster Cityship Atlantis. hehe

But all the campaign potentials of humanity not being 'stuck' on planets but instead traveling about the universe on cityships would be brilliant. Imagine the ships connected by say stargates allowing for contact even as they exist beyond regular distances. A major plot point could be a bunch of cityships coming together in a great Moot in some nebula filled system. Sooo much potential.

Also, you mentioned Asimov's Psychohistory and while yeah that is a different subject matter it is a fun one, a very fun one. I totally could see the implementation of the Inspired in said universe. (Love the Foundation and the Galactic Empire of that setting, though the tech could be updated a bit. hehe)
                              Last edited by LordHeru; 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

If you have not read cities in flight, read it, now. It's one of the classics of Sci-fi that never got the love it deserves. Also, James Blish, under a penname founded the idea of actually applying literacy criticism to sci-fi, and treating it as a "serious" genre. Seriously, there's a lot of the old sci-fi classics that can really do with a re-read.

(If you want to look at a, say optimistic view of a nova style eruption, Poul Anderson's Brain Wave is a really good (and short) book to look at).

Comment

Working...
                                X