Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] Power Suite of Mega Attribute

Hi everybody,

I was trying to create a way to make a character based on Mega Attributes (or a single Mega Attribute) to be more XP efficient using the same approach as the Power Suites.

My idea is you can add the Technique Mega Edge to a Mega Attribute and for each dot in the Mega Edge you gain the Mega Attribute dots in Mega Edge dots related to that Mega Attribute.

For example, a Mega Might 2 Quantum 3 Nova can buy the Technique Mega Edge related to Mega Might, and for each dot in that it’s possible to pick 2 dots of Mega Edges that are related to Mega Might. In this case the Nova got Technique 2 and so could buy 6 dots of Mega Edges related to Mega Might, Mega Crush (1), Mega Lift (1), Quantum Leap (2). If buys one extra dot of Mega Might, the Nova could get 2 more dots of Mega Might related a Mega Edges, for example Shockwave (1) and Thunderclap (1).

This will reduce the general cost of mega edges without unbalance their costs to other Nova Traits, and make the Attribute based Novas more versatile. In this example, the total XP cost dropped from 72XP (6 x 12) to 48XP (4 x 12), or 108XP (9 x 12) to 60XP (5 x 12) if Mega Might is increased to 3.

There are a few extra rules:

A each Mega Edge can’t have a cost higher than the Mega Attribute dot, even if the available dots are more than the total. For example, you can’t buy Technologist (2) as a technique of Mega Resolve, if you have 1 dot of Mega Resolve, even if you have Technique 2. Basically, each dot of Technique Mega Edge grants a different setting to the mega attribute, and those sets must be independent.

If a Mega Edge may use more than one Mega Attribute as requisite, any of the related Mega Attributes can pick it, but it must be part of a single Mega Attribute Suite, you can’t buy 2 Dots of Mass Influence from a Mega Manipulation Suite and 3 more from a Mega Presence suite, for example.

There are a few Mega Edges that have no Mega Attribute related, those Mega Edges could be part of any Mega Attribute Suite, as long it makes sense, for example adding Toughness to Mega Might seams legit (“my muscles are Mega hard, check it out”), but adding Animal Mastery may need some better explanation (“my brute might can be sensed by the animals, that see me as an alpha, worth to be followed for protection”).

The Technique Mega Edge can’t be bought as part of a suite, as it would create a infinite loop (just to be clear, if it was not before).

As power suites, they are copied and disrupted as a single power.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Since mega-attributes, mega-edges, quantum powers, and tags all cost the same, what was the reasoning behind not just allowing half the cost of the mega-attribute in mega-edges per Technique tag?

Comment

The idea is to follow the same idea from powers and make it work for Mega Attributes, so it would be 1 to 1. If it was 1 to ½ the technique mega edge would worth half of what it value to Powers, and it would worth 0 mega edges on Q1.

Another option come to mind was to make Mega Edges (and possibly Mega Attributes) cost be reduced to 8XP instead of 12, as you can’t build techniques with them. But then low quantum would value mega edges while high quantum would value powers, and what I wanted was to keep Mega Edges worth to high quantum novas.

Comment

Yeah; I don't have any problem with low-level Novas gravitating toward Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges; but Superman, the ur-Superhero, is definitely not low-level, and is primarily Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges. So yeah; I'm definitely on board with anything that makes them more viable for high-powered Novas.

Comment

I am all for Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges having lessee costs. I am all for boosting those categories up. I am all for making them easier to gain and more common in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            As power suites, they are copied and disrupted as a single power.
            I'm still a little behind on reading the formatted pdf after the manuscript, but a quick glance I'm not seeing anything that disrupts MAttributes or MEdges? Happy to be wrong, otherwise there isn't much of a drawback to these suites.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

I'm still a little behind on reading the formatted pdf after the manuscript, but a quick glance I'm not seeing anything that disrupts MAttributes or MEdges? Happy to be wrong, otherwise there isn't much of a drawback to these suites.
              Quantum Imprint affects Mega-Attributes, Mega-Edges, or Quantum Powers. So they all can be stolen from you if they are in a suite.

Comment

I asked a question in the errata form to see if Quantum Disruption only applies to quantum powers or also mega-attributes and - edges are affected as well. So we might get clarification on that.

Comment

Btw, are those two powers and transformations the only thing that can deprive a Nova of its powers?

Comment

Quantum Imprint with the Theft can steal the power or mega* from the other.
                    Quantum Disrupt can make it harder to use a power
                    Quantum Leech can drain your quantum pool

The thing with the new system is that the powers are based in effects, so the only power that let you attack is Quantum Attack (quantum anima has a small exception, but it’s just weird), and quantum field is the only that add armor to you. Mega Edges don’t count here because they work a bit different.

So you have 3 options, Remove the Power, Make it hard to use or Drain the energy. I am trying to think another way to affect a power, but can’t find.

One Effect I miss is to be able to max out another character, don’t know if you remember Heroes, but one of the characters (Ando, friend of Hiro) had the power to boost other people’s powers.

Comment

This edition is the first one i noticed, so i dont know what is Hereos.

Quantum Leech affects you no matter if you have a power suite, so Imprint and Disrupt would be the powers that level the field against suites then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
                        This edition is the first one i noticed, so i dont know what is Hereos.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes...ican_TV_series)

Ian A. A. Watson
                        Onyx Path Community Manager
                        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                          I am all for Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges having lessee costs. I am all for boosting those categories up. I am all for making them easier to gain and more common in use.
                          I kind of take it from the opposite direction. I like the idea of otherwise regular people having superpower but not necessarily super "attributes" or at least not stuff beyond the physical. In thinking of people like some of the X-Men or characters from John Ridley's Those Who Walk in Darkness. One of the bits I liked from the later novel was the concept that people with superstrength often had under-developed muscles because there was nothing really heavy enough to let them exercise them properly.

Comment

Working...
                          X