Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you just found a Nova Gadget in Grandpa's storage container...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't see how, with how vast the world is, there is any possibility that every single nova invention or discovery or whatnot was found and secured by Aeon. This becomes especially true when hiding everything closes adventure doors while letting some stuff be found in attics, junkyards, etc open the doors of adventure.

So yeah, 'found x in my grandfather's attic' is totally not something I would have a problem with as a ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

True enough, but finding it forgotten in an attic is workable. The point is non weapons can be powerful too.
      Is it workable? Sure. Is it possible? Absolutely. Should a group's go to method for finding Nova artifacts be "We go door to door and ask people if they have any weird Nova stuff in their attic, basement, etc." Probably not.

Comment

Well, the nice thing about Terra in the Trinity era is that getting from place to place is actually pretty easy. So your team might be responsible for say, most of Latin America--and in that case, even if artifacts are only very rarely found in absolute terms, you'd be fairly busy.

The thing is that you'd have to have a fine balance between showing that most of these "finds" are actually non-functional devices or even things that are mistaken for nova tech that really weren't, and getting the party bored.

And then you build up the "stable" of NPCs--the Novatech researcher who rarely calls you, but when he does, it's probably bad. The woman who is convinced that her neighbor is secretly an aberrant who is building a weapon. The gang of teens who keep trying to swindle people with fake novatech (and who, you know, sure as god made little green apples, sooner or later are going to find something real.). Then you get the friendly guy from the FSA who keeps alerting you about Aberrant tech horders (who are actually dissidents, but by law, you have to check it out).

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          I just don't see how, with how vast the world is, there is any possibility that every single nova invention or discovery or whatnot was found and secured by Aeon
          They weren’t. There are at least three organizations in Mission Statements who make their livings off finding old caches of nova-era gear. Some are Aeon/UN backed, others are in it for their own gain.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            I just don't see how, with how vast the world is, there is any possibility that every single nova invention or discovery or whatnot was found and secured by Aeon. This becomes especially true when hiding everything closes adventure doors while letting some stuff be found in attics, junkyards, etc open the doors of adventure.

So yeah, 'found x in my grandfather's attic' is totally not something I would have a problem with as a ST.

There's like half a chapter in Terra Firma that's all about leftover Novatech stuff, so I don't think the expectation is that it was all locked up. I think they even say something about finding flight belts in attics.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Another idea for a Nova gadget toy might be a "magic wand" made by a Nova for his sister's little girl. After she was older the girl put the wand in her keepsake box and forgot about it. The family either died in the Nova debacle or fled Earth with the Novas and the box was left in an attic closet in the girl's childhood home and ignored when the house passed to in laws.

The wand had three powers.

First it could create a light about twice as bright as a Firefly of whatever color the wand holder wanted and control the movement and speed of the light within 100 feet. The light can move at about the speed of a butterfly.

Second the wand can create musical sounds that seem to come from any point the wand holder choses within twenty-five feet. These sounds can't be much louder than a musicbox. Only musical tones can be created, they'll tend to sound like bells or xylophone keys but any tune the wand holder can imagine can be generated.

Third the wand holder can telekinetically lift and manipulate any object weighing ten pounds or less within thrity feet. The object can be freely moved a about, the speed is about than of a butterfly. Any object can be manipulated as if the wand holder could touch it with both hands.

These are very restricted powers, but just think of what any gamer would do with this wand.
              Last edited by Astromancer; 12-31-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

There's like half a chapter in Terra Firma that's all about leftover Novatech stuff, so I don't think the expectation is that it was all locked up. I think they even say something about finding flight belts in attics.

Some of the stuff in Terra Firma is specifically described as circulating on the black market, as well. (and one or two items aren't easily recognizable as nova tech, so it might slip under the radar) And it's implied that at least one item was produced by the hidden novas in Nippon, which could have happened after the War and outside of Æon's reach.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
                Game line contributions: W20, Night Horrors, TC: Æon, soon to be Scion (details here)
                Blog post write-ups of my gaming sessions

Comment

A fun twist on this kind of game is finding something that you thought was just left in an attic somewhere...and then finding out that, no, it was made recently and letting that lead you to an Aberrant cult.

Comment

In 1e, I assumed that the "gravity crystals" used in spaceships and on extrasolar wars was NovaTech. Mostly because they manipulated "strong and weak nuclear forces," as was a handwavium term for Aberrant powers. How this works for Aberrant 2e, I do not know (as I do not yet have the book).

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Gravity crystals works theoretically the same way, but they are only available in Aeon, not yet in Aberrant.

While it is core tech in Aeon, what means it’s not dependent on Novas to be built, it is suggested that other cultures created similar technologies that are not powered by quantum, at least not by bending the quantum flux like Novas do.

Coalition ship have artificial gravity (at least the general design of the ship is based on something with artificial gravity) and the Qin, while not great users of gravity as they work easily in 0g, probably use some level of gravity in the asteroid colonies, none of them are quantum users.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
                        In 1e, I assumed that the "gravity crystals" used in spaceships and on extrasolar wars was NovaTech. Mostly because they manipulated "strong and weak nuclear forces," as was a handwavium term for Aberrant powers. How this works for Aberrant 2e, I do not know (as I do not yet have the book).
                        While it's not impossible that the discovery of artificial gravity in 1e was nova-created and Æon retconned that knowledge out in-setting, in 1e it wasn't officially created until after the war. (Though it could have been based on principles originally discovered/developed by nova scientists.) Though it does definitely fit in with something they should be capable of doing in either edition, at least conceptually.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
                        Game line contributions: W20, Night Horrors, TC: Æon, soon to be Scion (details here)
                        Blog post write-ups of my gaming sessions

Comment

Developed in 2043, which is in the latter stages of the golden nova era before the Aberrant War. They tech chapter ties them to shifting the paradigm, so presumably they were Q-tech that was engineered into something more easily made.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                          X