Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalwarts and Mesmerists in later time periods

So, it's an attack of "talk about something that isn't even out yet!"

But Stalwarts and Mesmerists being the original Adventure era psi's and novas--could they exist in later periods or do the changes probably eliminate them? I think having these sort of "very low level" novas and psi's could be interesting, but equally, you might argue that the changed levels of quantum/psi simply mean that if you're going to erupt at all, it's as a full on Nova.

Now obviously this will depend on how they are actually written up but I have long felt that the power level of Stalwarts and Mesmerists (and Talents) are actually much easier to put into multiple different times of games. Historical, present, future all can be written with those three groups in way that doesn't radically change human nature.

So yeah, I think those groups could totally exist in other periods. I could also see the potential of a really long standing game lead to the change from Mesmerist to Psiad and Stalwart to Nova.

Honestly, in some ways this level of power source might represent say Jedi easier then Novas or Psions/Psiads, the same with the lower level psychic abilities in a lot of scifi games.

Comment

That is a question that would be sweet to have an answer, but so far there are 2 approaches on what is a Mesmerist and Stalwart, and both give me a sensation they are almost inexistente in the future.

First approach is that they are not Psiads or Novas, but a lower level and completely incapable of crossing this limit. In this case they may exist, but the higher level of background Psi and Quantum would make people “erupt” to the more powerful counterparts.

Second approach is that they are low level Psiads or Novas, in this case, they are there, but more powerful than before.

Of course, I prefere to have a third option that is, the second approach but with the possibility of the low level approaches existing and maybe even being the main (if not only) variation of Psi and Quantum users. Adventure had a sense of balance and power that I couldn’t fill in Aberrant 1e, to the point I would prefere to make my X-Men based in Adventure than Aberrant, due to the monstruous power level the starting Novas erupted.

New Aberrant, with the limited effects of mega attributes and how you can build a very precise set of mega edges to make the character you want gives me the feeling Stalwarts had in 1e, of course if you keep the character on a low level quantum and don’t go for quantum powers. So let’s see how it is going to end in a few months...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I will mention that the 1st ed timelines made mention of a somewhat subdued outbreak of "Novas" in the 1970s. While this was never followed up on, some speculated it might've been a second lower scale version of what happened with Adventure!, with a sudden burst of Talents, Mesmorists and Stalwarts. (Possibly from an effort to repeat Hammersmith or some sort of "energy echo" from it and the start of the Nova age.) But there have been a few of us quietly agitating for a 1970s counterpart/companion to Adventure! which evokes the various genre TV and fiction of that decade (The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, kung fu movies, Shaft, The Destroyer, The Executioner, Doctor Who, etc.).
        (The closest thing to that idea was Green Ronin's Damnation Decade setting for d20 Modern, which even includes a triggering science accident.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
          So, it's an attack of "talk about something that isn't even out yet!"

But Stalwarts and Mesmerists being the original Adventure era psi's and novas--could they exist in later periods or do the changes probably eliminate them? I think having these sort of "very low level" novas and psi's could be interesting, but equally, you might argue that the changed levels of quantum/psi simply mean that if you're going to erupt at all, it's as a full on Nova.

So, an interesting thing in the art world: due to minute amounts of radioactive fallout -- not enough to affect most living beings, but enough to be detected -- art experts can identify whether or not art was made before or after 1945. They've used this method to spot forgeries: if a piece of art was supposedly created in the 1800s but has post-1945 levels of isotopes, then it's a fake. If you're creating new art, you're creating something with post-1945 levels of isotopes, whether you like it or not.

Something similar is happening here. The subquantum environment of Earth-space is different than it used to be, so after the Adventure! era you don't really see new mesmerists and stalwarts anymore. People with noetic talent trigger as psaids or latents, people with quantum talent erupt as novas.

Maybe if Hammersmith was repeated on one of the human colonies, you might get them. Maybe not: virtually every colony has been visited by a nova or a psion, and perhaps that's all it takes to trigger a minor subquantum cascade which changes the environment. That's up to you.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager
          Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

When was the Doyen Barrier put up? If it happened very soon after Hammersmith during the active time of Adventure, perhaps Memersits/Stalwarts were still a thing up to 2018 and Divis Mal's "Big Bang."

Comment

Cestus Pax erupted as a Nova 40 years before Divis Mal set off his quantum device. Although I suppose he could theoretically be an accidental result of Divis Mal performing early smaller scale experiments in the area. It would actually be an interesting plot hook for the PCs to investigate Divis Mal's background and track him back to <Insert Location> in the late '70s, and for Cestus Pax to recognize the place as being near the road where his car wrecked and his family died when he gained his powers.

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

So, an interesting thing in the art world: due to minute amounts of radioactive fallout -- not enough to affect most living beings, but enough to be detected -- art experts can identify whether or not art was made before or after 1945. They've used this method to spot forgeries: if a piece of art was supposedly created in the 1800s but has post-1945 levels of isotopes, then it's a fake. If you're creating new art, you're creating something with post-1945 levels of isotopes, whether you like it or not.
                Just wanted to thank you for that factoid. I'd never heard about that before now.

Comment

Working...
                X