Pre-Nova era colonies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Nova era colonies

I'm playing around with an idea for a product for a trinity era "lost colony", but it turns on one thing--the idea that the Doyen or another group might have transported humans to another world before the Nova era. The Doyan were active after the Hammersmith event, but it's confirmed that there were other alien influence on earth before the Nova era, correct?

The time period for the kidnap/transfer would have been the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

Well, this one is a tonne of fun. I think that they could worship the Doyen as gods - if they know about them - and possibly believe that they're - both colonists and Doyen - Earth's salvation. I'm not sure which version of "punk" their technology but some kind of psi-punk may be pretty neat. Perhaps they surveil / put sleeper cells into Terran society starting only a generation or so after the era of the Grand Abduction (perhaps they have a cool name for it with biblical overtones a la The Ascension). Could be adversaries in the Adventure, Core, Aberrant and Aeon eras all the way.

There's a parallel reality in the comic series The Authority called Sliding Albion about these blue-skinned humanoids whose dominant culture is really similar to a high-tech version of the Victorian-era British Empire. This kind of reminds me of that. If it were 19th Century, the British, German and Russian Empires were fairly ascendant and could possibly dominate the growth path of the Doyen colony (think lots of impractical headwear).

Comment

They definitely make it clear that there were alien contacts with humanity before the nova era, and that there are more aliens than just those detailed so far in the books. So, yes, this absolutely fits into the game and it's one of the plots I've been considering too.

Comment

It would give a kind of StarGate feeling, lacking the StarGate per se.

The Psions are exploring and find a colony of humans with some weird technology.
        They are certain the tech would be Nova Tech, but it’s psi, and not biotech, it’s based in crystals, much similar to the ones Clairs use.
        When they arrive to talk, the people treat them as gods, as they have the powers the gods manifest.

The alien can be a parasite like Goa’uld (from StarGate), occupying the body of the “priests” to interact with the population, and capable of using their original powers from inside, I would not make them live all the time inside people, just to interact with the humans. Or they can be a more traditional alien (non parasite) that have Psionic powers and are worshiped by the population.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

A lot of how the plot goes might depend on why the aliens did the abduction. Research? Labor? Some religious purpose of their own? Sleeper agents for later planetary infiltration?

Comment

Given that you apparently need psions or novas if you want an FTL drive, the alien abductors would probably have to either be psions/novas, or have reverse engineered FTL craft made by psions/novas. Either way, they probably possess some degree of very advanced tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
              A lot of how the plot goes might depend on why the aliens did the abduction. Research? Labor? Some religious purpose of their own? Sleeper agents for later planetary infiltration?
              Sure!

One unusual reason could be an Interplanetary Zoo with species of many different planets.
              But the Zoo had to close (didn't profit properly or suffered from "under developed species activists" that forced the zoo to close) and the creatures had to be returned to their home planets.
              But in the end, their version of prime directive forced them to leave the humans in a different planet to avoid corrupting our culture (or the ones returning were just lazy and dropped the colony somewhere that they could live).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

For this, when/if I do it, I'm leaning towards: "Friendly/neutral Doyen" or simply unknown. This would avoid putting the GM in a corner, and introducing another species.
                The unknown could simply be: Okay, some hero/wanderer brought most of us here, displaying powerful noetic abilities, which could mean that he was possible a one in a million mutation...or possibly an alien wearing a human suit.

The big thing for this would be the idea of a culture that has been influenced by talents and psi, and yet hasn't been in contact with earth since say, 1900.

Psiads and Talents would be the dominant types, (I was considering having some "mutant" psions, but decided against it--if theDoyen had to go to all the trouble they did to create psions, its' highly unlikely any set of circumstances would allow them to develop 'naturally'.

I am on the fence about whether or not to include superiors. The aliens could have left devices or instructions behind, and superiors would fit the kind of "planetary romance" feel the planet would have. OTH, some might consider that stealing Japan's thunder.

One certain thing: They've never encountered novas or aberrants--don't even know what they are. In addition, none of their psiads have access to anything other than the basic quantakenesis powers.

Comment

All those people that disappeared in the bermuda triangle (strong flux zone) ended up transported to said world.

The flux zone/portal was an alien experiment on their version of a teaser.

Comment

Why can't some Mad Scientist from The 30s create a portal to another world Go full on Flash Gordon. Hell maybe an alien Hammersmith experiment might drag people from earth Isekai style

Comment

Well for this--doylist, I want to do with the nexus storypath thing, and that means giving a variety of reasons so that you don't trap the players/GM. I've decided to have the "official" period of transfers be between 1809-1909, because that was a period where a lot of stuff was happening and given the technological level of the world, it was easier to explain people missing. i might have other groups appear later, but none near enough to the "present" time to be aware of Aberrants or psions.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                        Given that you apparently need psions or novas if you want an FTL drive, the alien abductors would probably have to either be psions/novas, or have reverse engineered FTL craft made by psions/novas. Either way, they probably possess some degree of very advanced tech.
                        Maybe the lost colony isn't so far that it requires FTL. The Hammersmith Event not only fluxified a lot of people, it did it to places as well. They just eventually faded back to normal over time in most cases.

Picture a colony of humans abducted by a Pulp-era Martian civilization that didn't actually exist before the Hammersmith event, and that faded away (along with all evidence that it had existed) as the Event waned. The humans, poor bastards, are completely normal, but left trying to survive with less and less of the advanced Martian tech that kept them alive on Mars- eventually making something that sort of barely works from reverse-engineered Martian tech.

So skip ahead to the Aeon era, when someone doing prospecting in a remote and otherwise uninteresting area of Mars (or a clairsentient happens to notice, or a telepath picks something up) finds a deep subsurface cavern with some very odd humans and even odder equipment in it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
                          Well for this--doylist, I want to do with the nexus storypath thing, and that means giving a variety of reasons so that you don't trap the players/GM. I've decided to have the "official" period of transfers be between 1809-1909, because that was a period where a lot of stuff was happening and given the technological level of the world, it was easier to explain people missing. i might have other groups appear later, but none near enough to the "present" time to be aware of Aberrants or psions.

The Hammersmith experiment.. and theoretically alien variants there of broke time. Its why you have in the 30s places you can find dinosaurs which won't be there later. Go nuts! Lost viking colony! The Real answer for what happened at Roanoak, The lost Legion!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Crusade That sounds like something a bunch of talents might pull offf..

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
                            The time period for the kidnap/transfer would have been the late 19th/early 20th centuries.
                            What could be amusing is a light-speed limited transportation system like the one used by the Zeps could result in future folk discovering a bunch of kidnapped humans from a previous century *who just arrived* at their destination, a hundred light-years away. For them, no time has passed, as they feel like they were just whisked away by a bright light from the late 19th century (or whenever) 'a few minutes ago.' Or they arrived a few months or years before the were re-discovered by Psions from Earth, but still haven't had a century or more to change or develop into a proper 'colony,' and are still kind of stuck in the mindset of a bunch of horribly out of place turn-of-the-century folk.

Last edited by Ian Turner; 12-06-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post
                              but still haven't had a century or more to change or develop into a proper 'colony,' and are still kind of stuck in the mindset of a bunch of horribly out of place turn-of-the-century folk.
                              It's probably their planet now, though. If 22nd century people set foot on it, they're the ones horribly out of place.

I'm not sure how much fun a game based on themes of Colonialism would be, but if you have players whose first impulse is to bring the "natives" out of their turn-of-the-century mindsets whether they want their minds changed or not, you've got it. Bonus points if the planet happens to have lots of useful raw materials/alien tech to trade cheap modern gadgets for or just take.

Comment

Working...
                              X