Aberrant Sci Fi Campaign Concept

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant Sci Fi Campaign Concept

So I was struck by inspiration when I was reading a book (in a fantasy setting as it happened) involving humans exploring what's basically a massive tower city, and I wanted to recreate that in Aberrant. The outcome turned out to have enough potential that I wanted to share it here and see what the forums could do with it.

The Daedalus League sends a team to investigate an anomalous body that's been picked up by scanners. When the players arrive they quickly discover that the anomalous body is in fact a massive artificial construct, maybe an artificial moon or a huge sattelite, something along those lines. And within it is space to basically support the population of a medium-sized country, as well as places that are clearly meant to provide for food, potential residence areas, etc, but it's all abandoned save for some kind of hostile, non-sapient threat that needs to be cleared out by the players.

This concept can work on its own as a massive dungeon crawl with the players exploring and fighting off threats as they piece together why a place that's clearly meant to be populated is abandoned with no sign of the prior occupants, but there's also a number of variations that could add a twist to the whole thing. What I have in mind just off the top of my head is that for a more political/social version of this, there could perhaps be a time jump to the base being cleared out and now the players are a group that has to navigate what they do as other nations and organizations want to explore what's in effect newly discovered territory, with groups wanting to set up scientific outposts yes, but also full-fledged colonies for habitation.

And there's also a version where it's discovered that there's a kind of teleportation system onboard that leads to several other planets. Then either the players could have their characters navigate that, or play as whatever team gets sent through to explore and you can have alien planet adventures which could involve navigating first contact with intelligent species. Hell, there's nothing stopping this from being the premise of a massive campaign spanning in-game years and decades, with the players either playing the same characters throughout or taking on different characters to fit the various focuses of each part of the campaign as time passes.

That's the idea, I'd love to hear people alert me to any reasons why this might not work or other angles and facets that might exist within it to be explored.

This is a really cool idea! Kinda like the mega-dungeon Undermountain for Aberrant.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Just thought of "Rendez-vous with Rama", by Arthur C. Clarke. I recommend the reading - the original, not the sequels.

Ψ The Corps is Father. The Corps is Mother. Ψ

Comment

Love Rendezvous with Rama. And my friend once played a psionicist in a D&D game named Bester.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

A cheesy but rich source of inspiration would be The Starlost. Harlan Elison's basic ideas were sound, the quality issues come from the limits of the producers and the acting and writing pools they could access. But the series is rich in easily stealable ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            Love Rendezvous with Rama. And my friend once played a psionicist in a D&D game named Bester.
            Your friend is someone of taste.

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
            A cheesy but rich source of inspiration would be The Starlost.
            Hmmm, Starlost. Hey, just an idea: what if said humongous vehicle/alien city was actually a space menagerie for intelligent lifeforms (an old sci-fi theme) which has fallen in disarray (reasons up to the SG), now with its habitats out of control, just as their populations? The PCs just arriving to find themselves in the middle of an inter-species war, species with a vague recollection of the events that brought their ancestors to the menagerie -- and, why not, its builders and keepers may still be looking for their lost property.
            Last edited by Al Bester; 12-19-2020, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bester View Post
              Your friend is someone of taste.

Hmmm, Starlost. Hey, just an idea: what if said humongous vehicle/alien city was actually a space menagerie for intelligent lifeforms (an old sci-fi theme) which has fallen in disarray (reasons up to the SG), now with its habitats out of control, just as their populations? The PCs just arriving to find themselves in the middle of an inter-species war, species with a vague recollection of the events that brought their ancestors to the menagerie -- and, why not, its builders and keepers may still be looking for their lost property.
              Sounds better than Metamorphosis Alpha Omega;-). You clearly know the source material and have a flare for drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Sounds better than Metamorphosis Alpha Omega;-). You clearly know the source material and have a flare for drama.
                Hmmm, the one at the link? I really didn't know it, although it'd be a surprise to me if, at this point, what I suggested were really original. And I can't quite confirm or deny the second allegation, sir or ma'am.

Comment

Working...
                X