Genetic treatments for Latency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic treatments for Latency

It strikes me that if you can detect latency (as the Japanese can) that means it has a biological or genetic component.

So would it be possible to create a treatment to allow neutrals to become latents, thus expanding the pool of possible Novas/Psiads/Psions?

Originally posted by NewK View Post
    It strikes me that if you can detect latency (as the Japanese can) that means it has a biological or genetic component.

So would it be possible to create a treatment to allow neutrals to become latents, thus expanding the pool of possible Novas/Psiads/Psions?
    Watch for Mission Statements.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I will--and as an aside, it's been a long, long time since I found myself eagerly waiting for new products from an RPG line.

Comment

Even if it is not cannon, the very possibility that this could be done would be culturally explosive. Plus the military implications. If I could switch Novas from one in a million to one in a thousand at will, it would make even a small nation the dominant world power. If Ireland had three thousand Novas then Ireland's voice in all things would carry vast weight. If the USA had three hundred thousand Novas, while others had the normal level, then America would be able, if they chose, to set the world's priorities on a level we are only sometimes accused of, but no one could.

Comment

Though note that a treatment for latency doesn't make it certain you'll trigger as a nova, psiad or talent, just more likely to, although you could try to combine this with something like a mini-hammersmith or Galatea style event.

The ones who might benefit from this the most would be the Japanese since they already have a treatment that can be used--that being said, the main benefit would be more trustworthy (from the governments viewpoint) candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
            Though note that a treatment for latency doesn't make it certain you'll trigger as a nova, psiad or talent, just more likely to, although you could try to combine this with something like a mini-hammersmith or Galatea style event.
            A treatment to increase latency guarantees you won’t trigger as any of these.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Latency means you are latent, don’t mean you will trigger spontaneously. Latency is basically a natural dead end, maybe increasing the chances for their descendants for a natural trigger as a Psiad or Nova, but the person won’t ever be able to become one.

Latents can only be turned into Psions, that is what Latency means.

According to Aexpansion, there are 4 kinds of humans (think a Venn diagram with 2 circles that intersect), neutrals (that lack the powers completely, out of both circles), latents (that can store energy but not use inside one circle but not the other), the third type (that could use, but can’t store, and can’t be detected on latency tests as there is no energy stored, inside the other circle but not the first) and the fully functional (that store and use energy, inside the intersection). A Psiad, even before learning how to use their powers, is the 4th kind, as well as anyone that would erupt as a Nova, a latent would never become one naturally, requiring to be dunked to become a Psion.

I don’t know where exactaly the Superiors to be are in the diagram, if they are the 4th kind before “awakening” or latents that would not be able to turn by themselves.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                According to Aexpansion, there are 4 kinds of humans
                Not quite the way you divide them. You have:

Neutrals/baselines - they’re human and they’ll remain that way.

Psionic pathway - mostly latents (which can become psions) with psionic power but no ability to channel it, other (unnamed) people who can channel but have no power, and psiads, who have both.

Quantum pathway - novas/Aberrants, and the artificially restricted form of Superiors.

Flux pathway - Talents.

If you wanted to make a Venn diagram, humans would be the centre circle, with non-overlapping psi, Quantum, and Flux circles coming from that, and smaller circles within these.

Comment

I was referring to each of the branches individually, in the case Psions, Psiads, latents etc are all on Psi users diagram, while novas, superiors and stalwarts are in another diagram. But the idea is, latents can’t train to become Psiads.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

The Coalition had the ability to enhance or remove the noetic genes from their bodies, while the Doyen have the ability to augment their own noetic gifts, and made the Prometheus chambers to do the same to humans. OTOH, the Doyen want to limit human power levels, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Prometheus chambers are designed to detect and kill anyone with engineered latency.

There is also the fact that, as noted by Bunyip, latency is one of two genetic factors, and the only one to be identified, required to develop noetic powers. So unless you engineer latency into one of the very rare people who already have that hidden factor, the process wouldn't be of any immediate use. It'd either take generations for the trait to pair with a descendant who gets the second trait from the other side of their family tree, or they'd have to identify the second trait and engineer that as part of noetic upgrade package. At that point, whether they can become psiads would be up to the gaming group.

Comment

I have always thought that while its possible for all this to be genetically engineered it doesn't mean we have the technology to do it yet.

But, that all said, I would think at some far far far far future date, when the whole human genome is open to our understanding and touch and we know all the nuances of psi and quantum and (Talent) flux and the way they intersect will allow us to create some really cool nifty hybrid type.

Comment

Well, I think there's a sliding scale. To use an example: Aeon can test for latency. Japan can test for it as well, and that means you have some clue of what goes into making someone likely to erupt. Which is not anywhere near being able to reproduce it, that's a start, letting you look for the things in the human genome that can lead to people becoming something else.

The next step would probably be finding a psiad (which, mind you might already be the case, since there were projects focusing on them way back before the Aberrant War), and a Nova's (preferably before transcendence turned them into a mass of inorganic crystals that spoke in chimes) immediate post-eruption DNA.

But that doesn't let you create them--and in fact, the only canon cases of humans sparking novas, talents or psiads, were distinguished by just how uncontrollable they were. The Doyen can create psions, and the Japanese can create superiors, but MK I psiads and Novas aren't controllable.

That being said, the Doyen were trying to create controllable w3eapons and the Japanese don't wantpsions or Novas, so both those methods might be a good starting point.

Doylist of course, anything like this, whether it's controllable or (especially) if it's controllable, is the kind of thing that utterly changes the setting. So probably the most important question for GM's would be: "where am I going with this?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Quantum pathway - novas/Aberrants, and the artificially restricted form of Superiors.
                          There should be also quantum latents, right? Those can be also be found by Nippon and transformed to superiors?

Comment

In TC, a Latent isn't merely “someone who has the potential for Psi Aptitudes, but hasn't manifested”, which is the traditional meaning of the term; rather, it's “someone with the potential for Psi Aptitudes, but who can't manifest that potential without the aid of a Prometheus Chamber”. The Quantum-types don't have anything like that.

Meanwhile, the process that produces Superiors doesn't work on Novas who have already Erupted: you cannot turn an active Nova into a Superior. It only works on potential Novas who have yet to Erupt.

Actually though, I have a question for Bunyip:
                            Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                            Psionic pathway - mostly latents (which can become psions) with psionic power but no ability to channel it, other (unnamed) people who can channel but have no power, and psiads, who have both.
                            Those unnamed people who can channel but have no power: would they be Psi 1 individuals with access to the Basic abilities of one or more Aptitudes, but who are incapable of raising their Psi above 1 or developing any Modes?
                            Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-15-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              Those unnamed people who can channel but have no power: would they be Psi 1 individuals with access to the Basic abilities of one or more Aptitudes, but who are incapable of raising their Psi above 1 or developing any Modes?
                              Fair question. I don’t know exactly what they’d look like yet. They’d be Psi 1 like all humans but what they have access to if they manage to find a power source is unknown. They’d probably look something like very early awakening psiads - subconscious manifestation of Basic abilities of what would be their primary Aptitudes. Without a constant, reliable power source to tap into they’d never have the consistency of experience to build these subconscious manifestations into anything more.

Comment

Working...
                              X