Genetic treatments for Latency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Those unnamed people who can channel but have no power: would they be Psi 1 individuals with access to the Basic abilities of one or more Aptitudes, but who are incapable of raising their Psi above 1 or developing any Modes?
    Since all psions and psiads start at Psi 2 or 3, it is reasonable to assume you need at least Psi 2 to consciously and reliably manifest powers. I'm not sure if someone with the potential to channel psi but not store psi energy could naturally reach Psi 2, but the Aeon Aexpansion sidebar on the subject suggests it may be possible. OTOH, an IAD does effectively grant dots in psi and the Modes of a single Aptitude, so using an IAD and an experimental bioapp that grants bonus psi points (or an experimental Advanced IAD that does both) could prove useful in that regard.

Maybe Orgotek comes out with a new generation of A-IAD's and product safety procedures require testing before they can be released to the public? Since psions are generally both busy and in short supply, they could test them on 200 neutrals, only to be shocked when one of the test subjects starts manifesting weak powers which only work while using the device. This would obviously lead to Orgotek researchers checking the anomalous test subject for latency, and upon getting negative results, expanding the pool of test subjects looking for other anomalies, likely including as many of the initial subjects' family members as possible.

I also find it interesting that the Aeon Aexpansion sidebar specifies, "A small but significant section of the human population across the galaxy have the genetic or noetic potential to channel subquantum energies..." This implies some people may have the potential, but it is not genetically based.

Comment

Okay; that makes me think a little about Conspiracy X's psychic phenomena where nearly everyone has some basic ground level of psychic ability, but for most people this only manifests in the likes of hunches and empathy. In the Trinity Continuum, a “Biokinetic channeler”, for lack of a better name, would be just like a regular human except that she'd have an instinctive feel for life (subconscious Biosense) — literally, since the Attunement range of Psi 1 is zero (which could be interpreted as touch): she could, with a touch, know if something's alive or not. A Vitakinetic channeler who happens to be a doctor might get hunches about what's wrong with his patient. A telepathic channeler might get a downgraded version of Mindspeak that manifests as a sort of empathy: no mental communication, just an uncanny knack for understanding what someone else is feeling. And so on. A lot like Talents in a way, but handled through the psychic pathway rather than the “timeline manipulation” pathway.

*flash of inspiration strikes* Maybe the proper term for them would be “mesmerist”?

Comment

Personally, I'd probably do people-who-can-channel-but-don't-have-Psi-reserves as people who are particularly skilled with biotech. They can format biotech at a level higher than most neutrals, akin to most psions, but don't otherwise have any psi abilities.

Sort of the biotech equivalent of Cyberpunk.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
          Personally, I'd probably do people-who-can-channel-but-don't-have-Psi-reserves as people who are particularly skilled with biotech. They can format biotech at a level higher than most neutrals, akin to most psions, but don't otherwise have any psi abilities.
          Isn't the ability to format biotech Stamina+Psi? Since even normal humans have Psi 1, I'm not sure they'd have any sort of advantage regarding the amount of formatted bioware they can use at one time, although they may be able to use some psion-only bioware, which would be a big red flag for scientists that something interesting is going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
            Isn't the ability to format biotech Stamina+Psi? Since even normal humans have Psi 1, I'm not sure they'd have any sort of advantage regarding the amount of formatted bioware they can use at one time, although they may be able to use some psion-only bioware, which would be a big red flag for scientists that something interesting is going on there.

Presenting a concept is not the same thing as presenting mechanics.

We already have stuff like the ARES pod, which does stuff like "adds two dots to Psycholocation for the purpose of making rolls." Trivially easy to do something similar like "adds two dots to Psi for the purposes of formatting."

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager
            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
              Yeah; psion-only bioware, and flashes of insight or similar “could easily be confused with uncanny skill” capabilities, like Adventure!'s Command Voice Psychic Knack.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of at least some Mesmerists as Psi 1 psychics.

Comment

Presenting a concept is not the same thing as presenting mechanics.

We already have stuff like the ARES pod, which does stuff like "adds two dots to Psycholocation for the purpose of making rolls." Trivially easy to do something similar like "adds two dots to Psi for the purposes of formatting."
                In this regard, I could see a teleportation channeler actually being able to make use of that psycholocation booster bioware, operating at a flat two dice instead of “two more dice”.

Comment

I could see that factoring into Anima: it's an era where the psychic and quantum pathways are mostly unheard of, largely because there hasn't been a recent Telluric Event to spike the Quantum and Noetic energy levels; but there is technology available that does similar things (I'm guessing that there's hardtech augmentation that's capable of producing results not unlike physical Superiors), and we know that a central feature of the setting will be potent mind-interface technology.

Given that these “psychic channelers” are at least as hard to recognize, sans bioware, as Talents are (in no small part because even those who are recognized as being “not normal” might be conflated with Talents by observers who know what Talents are), I would have no problem with the idea that they're about as common as Talents are. Which means that there may be a lot of them running around during the Anima era, and almost no one knows it. Almost. And if that exception is someone capable of creating bioware that they can use…

In fact, what if Glass is itself bioware that anyone with Psi 1 or higher can use, but which these “psychic chsnnelers” can get even more use out of? Not because they're more powerful, but because they're more in tune with it? Maybe even make them the default protagonists of the era: otherwise ordinary humans who have a knack for Anima's special technology.

Comment

This is a cool idea.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                    X