No announcement yet.

TC Crafting (Core and Aberrant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding of the “edge dot equivalent” was you build a rank 3 item, to be able to have a module it would be considered a rank 4, and to be able to have 2 modules a rank 5. Yes it is a weird way to read it, but edge 1 dot (in a pack of 20 of a rank 5) is basically nothing.

Of course the limit is not the number of edges, but the amount of quantum you will have to spent to power all the modules, but it would mean all items would spend the remaining edge dots on modular space to make it easier to just swap powers around.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-03-2021, 12:29 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I suppose if you take a power with the modular power tag, you can also take the intrinsic power tag. But you still need access to an appropriate piece of Q-Tech.

Comment

Will note, there were some very important clarifications and changes in the final text. There were also some space saving decisions in the example tech table that contribute to some confusion.

For that last point, modules and regular Q-tech seem to use the Tags column differently. Q-tech uses it to show how many slots were created in the device, while the modules use it to represent the level of the Modular Power Tag they purchased (see Quantum Attack Module with Modular 2)

Discussed earlier, but doesn't hurt to repeat- Modules
        A nova can create Q-tech devices that are simply
        modules that go inside other Q-tech devices.
        Crafting a module counts as its own crafting project,
        with a few differences. The module can only
        contain a single Quantum Ability. The module’s
        item Rank is 1 plus the dot rating of the Quantum
        Ability included in the module, divided by 2 (round
        up). Modules cannot function on their own and
        must be installed in a more complex Q-tech device
        with appropriate module slots open for use.
        Then the easily overlooked line that was added in the final pdf for how to make a piece of Q-tech have slots for modules.
        When initially crafting (or designing) the device,
        the crafter can sacrifice one dot worth of Edges to
        make the item Modular. She defines at that time if
        the module is for a Mega-Attribute, Mega-Edge, or
        Quantum Power. She can sacrifice additional Edge
        dots to create more slots for additional modules.
        Lastly, Attunement and the Q-Tech mega-edge now all come with free Q-tech. You can use the free device from Attunement 1 to have a Rank 1 device that has all of its edge dots dedicated to module slots. I'll decline to comment on the cost/benefit of purchasing modules with XP.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

A Rank 1 device can't hold powers. A device cannot hold powers with dots higher than it's rank, and positive power tags, like Intrinsic and Modular count toward the dot value. You need at least a Rank 2 item to hold a Quantum 1 ability if it is either Intrinsic or Modular. If it's both, then you need a Rank 3 item.

Comment

The rules for modular powers seem quite different and are specifically designed so that the Rank+Tags of a power are higher than the rank. There is no reason why a Rank 1 device can't hold a Rank 5 Module (or 3)!

Also, Intrinsic is a 0 tag.

Comment

Fair enough. A Rank 1 device can't hold a modular power, then.

Note I didn't say anything about the Rank of the module. The limit set by the device is on the dots of the power.

No single Quantum Power, Mega-
              Attribute, or Mega-Edge can have a higher dot
              rating than the device’s Rank. This applies to both
              Crafting and Mega-Crafting. In addition to the dots
              associated with Mega-Attributes, Mega-Edges, and
              Quantum Powers, positive power tags each count as
              a dot for the purpose of filling a device’s capacity.
              Or are you saying the module is the device, and the rank of the device you're slotting it into doesn't matter?

Comment

I am saying that all the "Device" is technically holding is the "Module" slot. Modules are their own device, but it cannot function without a full fledged Quantum Device.

Any appropriate Module can go into that slot regardless of the Rank of the module.

Modules can have dots in a power greater than their rank.

In addition I read that positive Power Tags count toward the total dots in powers able to be held by a device, but NOT toward the maximum of the rank. So you could have a Rank 5 device (Max 7 dots of Quantum Abilities) with Quantum Attack 5 and Reduced Cost (2) tag (in addition to the free tags from Quantum Attack) without breaking the rules. (It could also have 13 module slots...)

Comment

Originally posted by econclark View Post
                  In addition I read that positive Power Tags count toward the total dots in powers able to be held by a device, but NOT toward the maximum of the rank. So you could have a Rank 5 device (Max 7 dots of Quantum Abilities) with Quantum Attack 5 and Reduced Cost (2) tag (in addition to the free tags from Quantum Attack) without breaking the rules. (It could also have 13 module slots...)
                  What I quoted above contradicts this. It explicitly says no single power can have a higher dot rating than the device's Rank. You can't build a 5 dot Quantum Attack with Reduced Cost 2 into a Rank 5 device, because that's a dot rating of 7 in rank 5 device. However, you could put Quantum Attack 5 and Quantum Deflection 2 into the same device. I think you are able to put Quantum Attack 3 (Reduced Cost 2) and Quantum Deflection 4 into one device, though.

Comment

The dot rating of Quantum Attack would be 5, so it would be allowed.

The total rating of Quantum Abilities would be 7 (5 from Quantum Attack, 2 from Reduced Cost Power Tag), so it would still be allowed.

Your example of Quantum Attack 3 (Reduced cost (2)) and Quantum Deflection 4, would I believe be 9 dots of quantum abilities

I read it as the power tags count as a dot for the purposes of filling the device's capacity for total Quantum Abilities, not the maximum dot rating it can have in one power based on its Rank.

Comment

You know, reading it for like the tenth time, I think you're right.

Comment

Working...
                      X