[Æon] Psiads underpowered...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Psiads can explicitly combine their own Aptitudes for creative effects, such as using BK shapeshifting on others by combining it with VK. They specifically can’t get power boosting effects like psions as those are Doyen engineered shenanigans.
    That makes sense.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

In setting, one thing that will help a psiad, is that few people know they exist. Which means, a clever psiad, who conceals their powers, or conceals that they have more than one Mode available, can really sucker punch the opposition. IE, "Okay, we have him under close arrest, but he's a telekinetic, so we just do x and y and he's helpless--what do you mean, the guards just walked in and let him out? He's not a telepath!"

Comment

Originally posted by NewK View Post
        He's not a telepath!"
        Even worse, this makes a great red herring- not only are the previous captors looking for the psiad, they're also going to be looking for the telepathic accomplice they assume has to exist somewhere. And since nothing makes someone more paranoid than a hidden telepath, they ought to be tying themselves in knots shortly.

Comment

Apologies for this being a bit of a wild tangent off the thread topic, but malladin.ben - that name! Are you the Ben who was part of Malladin's Gate years back, one of the folks behind Etherscope?

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

I had an idea for a new psiad-only edge:
            __________________________________________________ __________________________
            Extra aptitude *****
            Prerequisites: Psiad, A dot in the relevant secondary aptitude.
            Description: This edge allows you to turn a secondary aptitude into a primary aptitude. Getting the associated benefits.
            Upon gaining this edge you recover 2xp per dot in the selected aptitude that can be used to buy new mode dots in this aptitude or lowering the edge cost.
            You can buy this edge many times. Each time you must choose a new aptitude.

What do you think of this edge?
            This edge is thought to represent the main strenght of psiads, that is versatility.
            Instead of trying to raise your power in an aptitude to get on par with a psion. Something that will always frustrate the player. This plays with the reverse option, widening your abilities.
            I think that this puts emphasis on the psiads concept.
            Also, it would allow you to have teleportation as a primary aptitude without tweaking the rules.

Comment

Honestly, I think the is edge adds unneeded power to the psiad. Seams balanced, but I don’t think the result would really add to the Psiad concept.

Psiads should be versatile at the cost of limited in power, they can learn anything, but they can’t go that far. Instead of this edge, I would go for allowing the Strong Mode edge be chosen multiple times, that would allow the next step without the many advantages of an entire primary aptitude.

If the idea is to power up the Psiad to play with Psions, just use 6-8 for Mode dots cost and 12 for Psi dots (and maybe add 1 extra mode dot and 1 extra psi or attribute dot).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Vjornin View Post
                Honestly? I don’t think it’s good design.

This edge is thought to represent the main strenght of psiads, that is versatility.
                Psiads already have versatility. They can gain dots in any Aptitude. Despite what you’re advertising, this Edge is just about ‘trying to raise your power in an Aptitude to get on par with a psion’.

Also, it would allow you to have teleportation as a primary aptitude without tweaking the rules.
                I think you’re overlooking the fact that this tweaks the rules far more than just allowing psiads to take Teleportation as a primary Aptitude.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Vjornin View Post
                  I had an idea for a new psiad-only edge:
                  Extra aptitude *****
                  Prerequisites: Psiad, A dot in the relevant secondary aptitude.
                  Description: This edge allows you to turn a secondary aptitude into a primary aptitude. Getting the associated benefits.
                  Upon gaining this edge you recover 2xp per dot in the selected aptitude that can be used to buy new mode dots in this aptitude or lowering the edge cost.
                  You can buy this edge many times. Each time you must choose a new aptitude.

Instead of trying to raise your power in an aptitude to get on par with a psion. Something that will always frustrate the player. This plays with the reverse option, widening your abilities.
                  I think that this puts emphasis on the psiads concept.

I think if you want to have Teleporation as a primary aptitude, that's an easy enough rule change without throwing off the Psion/Psiad power balance. Just let Psiads start with Psi 3 in return for one less Attribute dot, and take Teleportation as a primary aptitude in that circumstance.

Or alternatively, you could let them swap out Quantakinesis for a different bonus third primary Aptitude. A little less thematic, but maintains the same overall balance.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

A good rule of thumb I think is ask yourself: Does this edge or change ever allow a psiad to meet a psion head on in their area of expertise. If so, it's probably not a good idea*. A psion facing say, a biokenetic should never be able to fight them on an even basis as a biokinetic, but do something clever with say, merging their biokinesis with another field that has their enemy going "how are they doing that?"

*With the exception of alternate settings. A world in which psiads have evolved past their limitations, could be used, but in that case psions would be the limited ones or just not available at all. It'd be an interesting setting albeit one with considerably greater power levels and less in the way of required teamwork.

Comment

Working...
                    X