MANGANI: Ape Folk for the Heroic Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MANGANI: Ape Folk for the Heroic Age

With the recent appearance of a talking gorilla in the Aeon Society Audio-drama series, I thought I would share this. The Mangani are a species of beings that can be played in my homebrew Heroic Age setting. The setting focuses primarily on Talents, and is set in a world shaped by Super Science and Pulp drama.

------

MANGANI (ORIGIN)

The Mangani (aka Alma, Squatch) are a species of higher apes that can be found around the world where they are traditionally associated with “Hairy Men” in local traditions. These creatures greatly resemble slim gorillas, but are completely bipedal and are as intelligent as a human. Mangani have a very physical society, appreciating muscle and endurance over intellectual pursuits, though this is not always the case. This has led them to jobs in which they can use their great strength, such as laborers, construction, soldiering, law enforcement and (unfortunately) crime.
    The largest populations of Mangani live in several “Lost World” regions, but a significant number can be found in British Columbia, New Shambhala and in Empire City. A few Mangani have moved to Caspak City on Caprona Island to act as scouts and translators for the US among the ape-like inhabitants of the Hollow Earth. Mangani are well represented in the Hero and Villain community, using their great physical power to great effect. Mangani surnames are their tribal names, and are a big deal to most Mangani. Some widespread tribal names are; Kerchak (the most numerous), Dzuteh, Malgash, Molak, Toyat, Kangamdi, Ungo, Miche, and Zutho.
    Example Connections: Bouncers, Park Rangers, Street Gangs, Family Connections
    Origin Skills: Athletics, Close Combat, Enigmas, Survival
    Edges: Ambidextrous (•), Danger Sense (•), Endurance (•••), Hardy (• to •••), Keen Smell (•), Superior Might (••), Tough Cookie (••)
    Gifts: Skill (Athletics, Enigmas, Survival)
    Persistent Condition: Ape
    Ape. You have the body of a great ape. Gain Momentum when hindered by circumstances made for humans: sitting in an automobile, using human sized utensils, wearing human clothes, riding an elevator, and so on. You cannot pass as human, which makes you memorable to any person or animal whose paths you cross. Finally, you have Might Scale 2 for purposes of lifting or pushing an object (Trinity Continuum Corebook, p. 74) and can go about unclothed without discomfort.

NOTES: Mangani is the name of a fictional species of great apes in the Tarzan novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and of the invented language used by these apes. In the invented language, Mangani (meaning "great-ape") is the apes' word for their own kind, although the term is also applied (with modifications) to humans. The Mangani are represented as the apes who foster and raise Tarzan (a real historic person in the setting).

MANGANI SKILL TRICKS
    Mangani characters can take any of the following skill tricks.
    Body Language (Enigmas): Spend Momentum so you can communicate with any primates such as Apes, Monkeys, Humans or Mandrils, and they will answer you in their language. This language is only basic concepts and prone to misinterpretation.
    Brachiation (Athletics): Your ago arms are so strong that you can climb with great skill. Spend Momentum to move up vertical surfaces at your full movement rate. This requires some sort of handholds such as tree limbs, fire escapes, drain pipes and similar.
    Charging Display (Athletics): Spend Momentum to move instantly to Close range of any person in your line of sight, ignoring any obstacles between you.
    Going Ape (Close Combat): When you fight unarmed, spend Momentum to add the Lethal tag to your attacks for the remainder of combat.
    Mysterious Creature (Survival): You are as elusive as the legends of Sasquatch say. This functions as the “Without a Trace” skill trick on page 53 of the Trinity Continuum rulebook.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 03-03-2021, 12:01 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Wouldn't lifting and pushing fall under Might Scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
      Wouldn't lifting and pushing fall under Might Scale?

Whoops! You are correct.

Comment

I like the Mangani! The idea is solid and fit the concept.

It could gain a path specific edge, I don’t know, maybe something like being able to use your might scale to damage in combat or to throw things. Just some random ideas.

The one thing I think will not be the case is that the way TC dealt with Qin points to a different approach on the way they will deal with non-humans in general.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
          I like the Mangani! The idea is solid and fit the concept.

It could gain a path specific edge, I don’t know, maybe something like being able to use your might scale to damage in combat or to throw things. Just some random ideas.

The one thing I think will not be the case is that the way TC dealt with Qin points to a different approach on the way they will deal with non-humans in general.

For my approach to species, I am thinking some species specific Skill Tricks will be compiled. Skill Tricks related to Brachiation, Going Ape or Moving unnoticed like a sasquatch.

Comment

Working...
          X