Quantum Attack Range Tag Costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum Attack Range Tag Costs

Q-Attack defaults to close range, but longer ranges can be purchased with tags. Unlike the range tag for a weapon, each range band has a different cost. If I want to build a Q-attack with medium range should that be 3 tags (1 for Range Short + 2 for Range Medium), or just 2 tags because the 2-point Medium tag would include the Short tag?

They are not different costs. The listing under the power is just saying it cost 1 tag for Short, a total of 2 tags for Medium, etc.

Comment

That interpretation makes sense, and is plenty functional, but it does create an interesting situation. It would mean that a Nova could never have a Q-attack that was only effective at long range, but not up close.

Comment

“A power with this tag increases its range by one step each time it is applied, from Close to Short, Medium, Long, then Extreme (Kilometers) or Visual range.”
        It don’t talk about the cost, it just says it increase by one for each time it is picked, but yes, you have no way to make it limited to far range but not close, at least not without a Restricted tag.

Restricted tag is extremely flexible, if it reduces the possible targets, by for example making it impossible to attack a target at close or less range, not only because the target is not human, or what ever. It’s not specifically described this way in the book, but you can expand from “A power with this tag has a restricted range of targets that it works on.”

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Attacks are always good for a single Range Band, and suffer a difficulty increase for use in other ranges. So if you have Q. Attack - Laser Eyes with Range 3 (Long), it is harder to use at Close, Short, and Medium.

Community Content Creator - OPP Freelancer - Storyguide / Storyteller
          Currently Running: Trinity Continuum: Aberrant, Cyberpunk Red

Comment

Originally posted by tragedyjones View Post
            Attacks are always good for a single Range Band, and suffer a difficulty increase for use in other ranges. So if you have Q. Attack - Laser Eyes with Range 3 (Long), it is harder to use at Close, Short, and Medium.
            While I agree that, that is the way it would work with a normal weapon, I don't think it is clear that the Q-Power tags work exactly the same way. The different tag prices indicated with each range band seems to indicate that they can be purchased separately. It seems that either each band must be purchase separately at escalating cost, or each higher band is inclusive of the shorter bands.

Comment

I agree partially to it. Yes it should have a preferable range band, but it don’t need to be the maximum range. You could pick any range band equal or less than your maximum as preferred, for example a pistol that has a maximum range of Medium but works better at short distance.

My suggestion was not on how good you can aim at certain distance, but on your aiming capacity, let’s say a artillery cannon has a minimum range of a few hundred meters due to the way it uses ballistic shot, so it has a maximum range of extreme and minimum of long range. It’s not a good example for Nova powers, but yes, you can have all kind of restrictions on your powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                While I agree that, that is the way it would work with a normal weapon, I don't think it is clear that the Q-Power tags work exactly the same way. The different tag prices indicated with each range band seems to indicate that they can be purchased separately. It seems that either each band must be purchase separately at escalating cost, or each higher band is inclusive of the shorter bands.
                Well, not a native speaker, but I just can’t read it as buying range bands separated. The possibility of buying each range band individually makes sense, but I can’t interpret it that way from what is written.

Comment

This doesn’t apply for Quantum powers, as you buy each Range band sequentially. Unlike a rifle (for example), you’re not purchasing Ranged (Long) and thereby incurring a penalty for aiming at ranges other than Long, with Quantum powers you’re purchasing Short, Medium, and Long to unlock the ability to target Long range.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                  X