Trinity Continuum x MtAw: Talent Hack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    It’s sad you can’t make a book about it and sell under any of the CCs. This thing has a lot of potential!
    Even if I could, I just don't have the time to craft the PDF. It's not a matter of skill, I've done stuff like that before, just don't have the time with everything going on.

Comment

I'm thinking that the EDE rules are a little too cut-and-paste for this. For instance, giving them Ranks and Influence might be a bit much. Consider crafting them more closely on ghosts rather than spirits: less Resonance-based and more Anchor-based, and with a default assumption that “Rank 2” is the rule.

The equivalent of Rank 1 would be contacting an EDE that's a superficial copy of someone from another timeline, and thus is more or less mindless, performing an activity reflective of how that EDE's timeline differs from the one it's summoned into.

The equivalent of Rank 2 is an EDE that's self-aware.

There isn't really an equivalent to Rank 3+. (In CoD, this is where you find Death-related entities that are especially attuned to the Underworld, such as geists, kerberos, or chthonians. The closest parallel I can think of for that would be entities native to the Mists, or closely attuned to them, like the Inspired. Rather than “Rank 3+”, I'd give them Inspiration.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        I'm thinking that the EDE rules are a little too cut-and-paste for this. For instance, giving them Ranks and Influence might be a bit much. Consider crafting them more closely on ghosts rather than spirits: less Resonance-based and more Anchor-based, and with a default assumption that “Rank 2” is the rule.

The equivalent of Rank 1 would be contacting an EDE that's a superficial copy of someone from another timeline, and thus is more or less mindless, performing an activity reflective of how that EDE's timeline differs from the one it's summoned into.

The equivalent of Rank 2 is an EDE that's self-aware.

There isn't really an equivalent to Rank 3+. (In CoD, this is where you find Death-related entities that are especially attuned to the Underworld, such as geists, kerberos, or chthonians. The closest parallel I can think of for that would be entities native to the Mists, or closely attuned to them, like the Inspired. Rather than “Rank 3+”, I'd give them Inspiration.)
        Fair enough, like I said I need to do some modifications. I considered with Influence to make it work using my Improvements system, but I'm not fully on that. I'll also take the anchors into mind as well, perhaps a Shadow would have an automatic tie to alternate versions of themselves, as well as 1 thing that they derive their Influence from? Or perhaps scrap Influence altogether in favor of Scale or Gifts?

For Rank 1 I had two different ideas as to how it could work: Either like you said, a superficial copy that's not actually self-aware; or the "ghost" of a large item, a limb, an animal or a moderate AI. That would give it more of a timeline feel, and allow you to summon stuff that's sort of like Spirits but not really, for more coverage in terms of Influence. Rank 2 would be just like you said.

For Rank 3+, I also had two ideas: First, the Shadows of Individuals where they might have been Inspired would be more powerful than a typical Shadow. To give an example, imagine in this timeline a person was just a Baseline, no powers whatsoever. In another possible timeline, they could have become Inspired and become a Talent, a Psiad, etc. That type of Shadow would be much rarer, if we were to assume that Inspired versions have a greater timeline priority than non-Inspired, but also more powerful (I would give them a Rank of Tier + 1, so a Talented Shadow would be Rank 3, and super-powerful Nova Shadow, which would be nearly impossible to find, would be Rank 5.)

The second option would be "grouped" Shadows, amalgamations of cut-off lifespans that due to being cut off at the same time or in the same way or place, would fuse together to become stronger and less human entities. So a group of people who all died relatively at the same time in a car accident would be mashed together into a Rank 3 EDE associated with cars, just as an example.

Comment

So, working on revamping the Influence rules to be something different, and I think I might have something that could work.

Associations:
          When an EDE is generated, it bears an Association with some thing, action or thought. Sometimes an EDE can have multiple Associations, but generally will have a "Primary" Association with which they are most attuned. Associations come in multiple levels, as seen below, and are limited by the EDE's Rank:

* Perform: An EDE is able to perform all of the mundane tasks and minutia of their Association. An EDE of a car washer can pour soap in a bucket, use a hose or sponge, and other things associated with manually washing a car. An EDE can ALWAYS attempt to perform an action within their Association (except when dealing with overwhelming scale) regardless of whether they have the necessary limbs or sometimes materials to do so. When they do perform the Associated action, they gain Enhancement equal to their Association Dots. This does not require an action or activation roll and does not cost any Inspiration points.
          ** Seek: The lowest of EDEs can only slave away for their Association, while a more typical EDE is self-aware enough to not just work at a task or object, but look for it as well. The EDE with a strong Association with car washing can detect car washes, cars, soap, car washers, and other related things with but a pulse across reality. The EDE rolls their relevant dice pool (Primary for the Primary Association, Secondary for all others). Every success allows them to find an Associated task, object or thought within Long Range. By sacrificing an additional success, they can instead find examples within Extreme (10km) range. This does not cost any Inspiration points to use.
          *** Steer: Stronger EDEs have begun to dive deeper than just the mundane and use their Associations as actual powers. At this stage, they can change what an Associated object or thing does and what an action or thought targets. The temporal copy of a Talented car wash owner can cause a car to roll forward into the cleaning machine, move that machine without the electricity turned on, or cause individuals thinking about going to a car wash to choose a specific location. This power costs 1 point of Inspiration to use and requires a Primary/Secondary roll as needed versus Difficulty 1 for Size 1 or smaller objects (+2 Difficulty for every increase in Size Scale) or the actions and thoughts of baselines (+2 Difficulty per Tier above 1).
          **** Shape: The more powerful EDEs perform an alchemy of their own, altering the shape and features of Associated objects, actions and thoughts as they wish. A copied Nova car wash owner does not just move cars, they can change a car's model, it's paint job and even it's license records or ownership. This power costs 2 points of Inspiration and requires a Primary/Secondary roll. This is rolled versus Difficulty 2 for Size 1 or smaller objects (+2 Difficulty per increase) or the actions and thoughts of baselines (+2 Difficulty per Tier above 1).
          ***** Generate: The rarest and most powerful of EDEs convert energy into matter, potential into action. In the rare instance of a copied supreme Nova (who for whatever reason owned a car wash), they can create a car wash at any location they so choose. They could also plant the idea of going to the car wash in a person's head, or telepathically move a car in the air to get there. Activating this power costs 3 Inspiration and requires a Primary/Secondary roll against Difficulty 3 for Size 1 or smaller objects (+2 Difficulty per increase) or created actions and thoughts of baselines (+2 Difficulty per Tier above 1).

Any thoughts?

Comment

While I think you guys are doing great importing things from CoD, I would suggest a different approach on EDEs: make them anomalies and give them some anomaly powers.

A rank 1 EDE would be a Minor threat, and so would have 2 anomalies, one could be Ephemeral, that would turn them completely Incorporeal, unable to interact physically with real world but not damageable, and the second something to make them useful, for example, some would have intelligent behavior, some would be capable of becoming solid enough to attack (and take damage) for a certain duration, and so on.

Each step in the EDE rank would increase the power level, so rank 2 is a Medium, rank 3 a Moderate, rank 4 Major and rank 5 Colossal. All of them with a source value (Flux or Inspiration) they spend to use some of the powers. But the point is, not all EDEs of same rank have the same basic anomalies. It gives high flexibility in the way you deal with EDEs, and make them less predictable.

And make it easier, as you write some powers, that can be pretty straight forward, and just add them to the list in Core. For example.
            Ephemeral: the anomaly is completely immaterial, unable to interact physically with the world. They can still interact socially and sense the world around to help.
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-20-2021, 05:49 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Much better!

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                While I think you guys are doing great importing things from CoD, I would suggest a different approach on EDEs: make them anomalies and give them some anomaly powers.
                Oh, I certainly draw on the Anomaly rules for stuff. Stats especially, but I'm not opposed to EDE's having "only" their Primary Association as well as a reduced amount of anomaly powers, or "trading in" anomaly powers for Association dots, etc. That's also why I decided on having the EDE's use Inspiration in this revision, to bring them more in line. It just needs a bit more fine-tuning at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                X