No announcement yet.

[Trinity Continuum] Max Mercer Theory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Future Sight’ relic? What exactly do you mean by that? An piece of Inspired science that can help Mercer look into the future? Or something else, entirely?

Comment

• Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
      ‘Future Sight’ relic? What exactly do you mean by that? An piece of Inspired science that can help Mercer look into the future? Or something else, entirely?
      As it's not directly tied to Mercer himself - only to the story I run with him - I invite all interested to the Aeon Society creation story topic, for more info on Future Sight relic.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

• Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Okay, ST/SG question here - HOW would you roleplay Max Mercer in adventure ( and Adventure! era 😎 )?
        Got another nice answer on Max on unofficial Trinity Discord:
        I sorta imagine Max as seeming lika almost a paragon of patience. Not only has he seen the future, he's seen a lot of futures, and recognises that small acts can have powerful effects on the future. So, he tends towards compassion, at least as he understands it, believing that small, compassionate acts could well have the same impact as the Big Projects like the Æon Society in making the world better Indeed, that's kinda the most annoying thing about him - he has an unshakeable belief that, no matter the dire catastrophe, or the clear destruction he sees, he knows humanity will come out alright, maybe even better than they started. He still does his best to save life's and mitigate damage, but he never feels like he really takes the gravity of existentialn threats into account?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Got another nice answer on Max on unofficial Trinity Discord:
          I sorta imagine Max as seeming as almost a paragon of patience. Not only has he seen the future, he's seen a lot of futures, and recognizes that small acts can have powerful effects on the future. So, he tends towards compassion, at least as he understands it, believing that small, compassionate acts could well have the same impact as the Big Projects like the Æon Society in making the world better Indeed, that's kinda the most annoying thing about him - he has an unshakable belief that, no matter the dire catastrophe, or the clear destruction he sees, he knows humanity will come out alright, maybe even better than they started. He still does his best to save life's and mitigate damage, but he never feels like he really takes the gravity of existential threats into account?
          That make sense. Max more than anyone else knows just how much the circumstances of our life shape who we become, he has literally seen it in different timelines. That's why he gives everyone a chance and, for the most part, approaches people without judgement. The most despicable villain could have become an amazing person had he only grown up in a different place. This doesn't mean he automatically forgives everyone, it means that for him everyone can become a better version of themselves and deserve a chance to prove it.

Comment

• I dunno, it feels to me at least that Mercer is willing to allow millions to suffer, if it means billions prosper, later on. He could have talked Donighal out of instrumenting N-Day, and stopped the horrors of the Aberrant Wars, but he saw that, while humanity would go through a period of absolute hell, there was light at the end of the tunnel.

In fact, there seem to have been a lot of things Mercer could have done, but didn’t. His ‘compassion’, at least to me, is tainted by a very real sense of brutal pragmatism. The needs of the many FAR outweigh the needs of the few.

Comment

• Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
              I dunno, it feels to me at least that Mercer is willing to allow millions to suffer, if it means billions prosper, later on. He could have talked Donighal out of instrumenting N-Day, and stopped the horrors of the Aberrant Wars, but he saw that, while humanity would go through a period of absolute hell, there was light at the end of the tunnel.
              You seem to assume that Michael Donighal - an adult man of superhuman intellect and (possibly) superhuman stubbornness - has no agency of his own, and would have obviously done whatever Max Mercer told him to do if Max had bothered to give the order. This is the opposite of the truth. According to the Adventure! manuscript, Max tried many, many times to deter Donighal from his course, then tried getting Sara Bhurano to dissuade him as well.
              The start of the Ӕon Society was a golden time, but soon Doctor Primoris’s and Max’s philosophies began to diverge. As much as Max tried to guide him, Doctor Primoris became more single-minded in his pursuit. He watched as the man he loved withdrew deeper into himself, and eventually broke away from him.

Sara reached out to Doctor Primoris, and all the way through the 1940s, she kept up a professional relationship with him, sharing her research and notes about the Inspired and telluric energy. She tried to guide him towards the path she wanted him on, but knew she had minimal influence over him. She urged Max Mercer to help her, and his refusal confused and bothered her. She had no idea that Max had already tried several times, but doing so just created alternate timelines. Not knowing this degraded her trust in him and the Æon Society, leaving her to work with other organizations instead.

Not only did he try to change things, he tried so hard he permanently alienated one of his close allies. You're blaming Reed Richards for Doctor Doom's crimes.

As for him choosing not to stop the Aberrant War:
              Afraid of the Aberrant War and everything that it causes in the future, Max tried several times to prevent it from happening. Doing so was rarely successful, as the event is tied to too many different factors. The one time he actually succeeded, he believed he had saved his future. But when he returned to his own time, he realized that he was in a completely alternate timeline, a different dimension that was extremely close to his own in which the Aberrant War never happens. He had not prevented the war, but instead slipped sideways into a branching timeline. This proved to be the case for every major incident Max tried to correct or manipulate. At one point, he had created so many alternate timelines that he spent a week trying to untangle it and find his way home.

He did try. He tried over and over again. He failed every time, because any attempt to prevent the war spawns a new timeline; the war always happens and there is nothing he can do to stop it. All he managed was to say the words that convinced Divis Mal to leave the world rather than fight it out and doom everyone.
              Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
              In fact, there seem to have been a lot of things Mercer could have done, but didn’t. His ‘compassion’, at least to me, is tainted by a very real sense of brutal pragmatism. The needs of the many FAR outweigh the needs of the few.

What brutal pragmatism? Max Mercer is a man who cannot directly change the future, because he's already been there. Any attempt to directly interfere with future events splits off a new timeline. It was his frustration over his inability to change things no matter how hard he tried that lead him to retire from public involvement with Aeon in the 1950s.

Comment

• Ah. I did not have access to the TC Adventure! material. I happily withdraw my assertion!

Comment

• Honestly, I'm surprised that Max hasn't gone outright insane. Just imagine seeing the same tragic events playing over and over again with no power to make any significant changes. At some point, you just give up or go nuts.

Comment

• Maybe he did give up....for awhile, at least. He vanished for awhile, and left his granddaughter in charge. Maybe Max took a sabbatical? Y’know, took some “Me”-time, recharged his batteries, before returning to the struggle.

Comment

• My players are THE WORST - ( or I am on NPC roleplay ) - First they talk with Mercer in 1923 - they get from him that he saw 100 years into the future... 😮

I'm not sure if Mercer would be more closed up on the matter too future Aeon Society members? He just returned from future and is still a bit confused? 🤔

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

My players are THE WORST - ( or I am on NPC roleplay ) - First they talk with Mercer in 1923 - they get from him that he saw 100 years into the future... 😮

I'm not sure if Mercer would be more closed up on the matter to future Aeon Society members? He just returned from future and is still a bit confused? 🤔
                        Tell them he saw 100 years into a future, not the future. There are lots of potential timelines, who's to say he landed on the right one? He's still getting the hang of his powers and learning how time works.

Comment

• I still keeping part of my cards to the chest - as Mercer saw 200 (!) years into future, into Aeon era, with Aberrant War, AntiMax and psions, etc. But he tells he only see 100 makes him more probable in 'we need to be better now and build better future that will come'. And he only partially lie now with 100 years. 😎 Also, for my own adventure plot, Mercer looks for artifact called Future Sight - that grants visions of future easily.

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                          X