[Aberrant] I don't trust Project Utopia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] I don't trust Project Utopia

I just don't trust Project Utopia. There's just gotta be something up with them. Am I justified in my distrust, or do I have too much 1E on the brain?

You have too much 1e. They intentionally made Project Utopia less nefarious. Now, they do still have Proteus' Medusa Protocols, but they're not sterilizing novas or anything like that in this version.

Comment

Probably too much 1st edition. Even in 1st edition Utopia was largely run by good people. Proteus in an effort to control nova growth overstepped the boundaries of their operation. I suspect Max Mercer dealt with it at some point. Hope, Faith, Unity ate good ideals to aspire to. Utopia as an child pf the Aeon Society tries to live up to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomeborg View Post
        I just don't trust Project Utopia. There's just gotta be something up with them. Am I justified in my distrust, or do I have too much 1E on the brain?
        Like any organization, Utopia probably has a few bad eggs, or has made some well-intentioned missteps, but on the whole Utopia is a force for good. We intentionally avoided the secret conspiracy angle this time around.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Like any organization, Utopia probably has a few bad eggs, or has made some well-intentioned missteps, but on the whole Utopia is a force for good. We intentionally avoided the secret conspiracy angle this time around.

I guess I just read the book (I know I'm late) and just got this "too good to be true" vibes from them. Maybe I'm just too cynical, which would make me fit right in with the politicians in the United States. Not a good look for me.

Comment

In my game Utopia has the best intentions and try to promote social projects and help communities in need. While they have Protheus, Thetis and the Babel Dossier, they still do not with the best intentions.

Even Protheus is not made by a bunch of paranoid sociopaths, they are, yes, paranoids, but they are not hunting novas to test on them, they just watch the training and tests the novas do in the utopia facilities.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomeborg View Post
              I guess I just read the book (I know I'm late) and just got this "too good to be true" vibes from them. Maybe I'm just too cynical, which would make me fit right in with the politicians in the United States. Not a good look for me.
              You could argue that the "too good to be true" vibe is a result of the various Aeon groups being subtly overseen by a literal time traveler who also happens to be the luckiest man alive. Of course they come off as impossibly good; Mercer knows all sorts of ways that things could go wrong, and has preemptively put into place procedures and personnel choices that make those outcomes much less likely, and may have all sorts of super advanced talent Gifts related to effectively running large organizations.

Comment

Thankfully they are the good guys. I had a problem with the dark conspiracy angle in 1e. It was fun and made for some good story ideas but way to many novas running around with enhanced senses, telepathy, bio manipulation, mega-int and much more to ever allow a conspiracy like that to stay hidden.
                I know a lot would be over looked as people just don’t want to believe their saviors are the bad guys. However that would only go so far.

Comment

It would require a lot of effort and very clever plotting, but if you really want to grim it up, make the story of Utopia how an organization of good, motivated, thoughtful people still manage to have their efforts lead to monstrous outcomes despite never falling to the dark side.

Your players may or may not like the implicit moral that the world is inevitably bad and going to hell, and that adding superpowers just turns up the heat on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                    You could argue that the "too good to be true" vibe is a result of the various Aeon groups being subtly overseen by a literal time traveler who also happens to be the luckiest man alive. Of course they come off as impossibly good; Mercer knows all sorts of ways that things could go wrong, and has preemptively put into place procedures and personnel choices that make those outcomes much less likely, and may have all sorts of super advanced talent Gifts related to effectively running large organizations.
                    Mercer has less influence over Utopia than you might think.

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

Do not have Aberrant, but seen Mercer name mentioned in here - So can someone quickly sum-up me what is Project Utopia in Aberrant?
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-06-2021, 10:39 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Utopia is the project in Aeon society that used to study Stalwarts (there is one for Mesmerists, one for Daredevils and one for strange places and creatures). When the novas show up after N-Day, Aeon “empower” project Utopia and they start to train and help Novas to achieve their potential. At same time they start using this novas to help the world, fighting organized crime, world hunger, fixing global warming, etc. they also bring up the equivalent of Justice League, Team Tomorrow (T2M)

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          Do not have Aberrant, but seen Mercer name mentioned in here - So can someone quickly sum-up me what is Project Utopia in Aberrant?

Content is 1e but: https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Project_Utopia

Ian A. A. Watson

Comment

In simplest terms it’s an NGO dedicated to helping train Novas and working with world governments to employ the Novas they train to use their abilities toward the betterment of the world (or at least betterment as defined by the elites of the governments they work with). They also work with law enforcement agencies to lend Nova support when needed to act against Nova criminals that baseline law enforcement can’t handle.

As you might imagine, Divis Mal (Michael)‘s faction, Teragen think this is all ways to keep Novas in line and beholden to baselines instead of reaching their full transcendent potential.

There’s at least one NPC though, Antaeus (think Swamp Thing), who is a member of Project Utopia working on environmental projects, while also pursuing the philosophy of Teras with regard to his own evolution - which makes everybody nervous.
                            Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-06-2021, 09:01 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              In simplest terms it’s an NGO dedicated to helping train Novas and working with world governments to employ the Novas they train to use their abilities toward the betterment of the world (or at least betterment as defined by the elites of the governments they work with). They also work with law enforcement agencies to lend Nova support when needed to act against Nova criminals that baseline law enforcement can’t handle.

As you might imagine, Divis Mal (Michael)‘s faction, Teragen think this is all ways to keep Novas in line and beholden to baselines instead of reaching their full transcendent potential.

There’s at least one NPC though, Antaeus (think Swamp Thing), who is a member of Project Utopia working on environmental projects, while also pursuing the philosophy of Teras with regard to his own evolution - which makes everybody nervous.

I think this is a fair description that allows for personal value level assessment (in character or otherwise) of Utopia's relative goodness.

Some people may see some aspects as "too good to be true" because we have so few unadulterated organizations like that in our current real world. I think that may be for lack of trying than any actual human limitation.

Even if it isn't secretly nefarious, to some people it is openly problematic. They aren't necessarily my personal real world views, but today's force for good given power can become tomorrow's force for greed and oppression.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                              X