Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What this system can be used for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What this system can be used for

    So, I tried to do a game with the manuscript shortly after it came out. We used the game for InFamous. Now that the book is fairly done, I am still going to try again and use it for InFamous. We will also have a dash of Assassin's Creed tossed in there, too. I was looking things over and it struck me that, if you made a Telepathy Power using the rules for Novas. And then you came up with schools of magic to use in place of Psionic Aptitudes, then you could, conceivably, use Aberrant for a typical superhero game.

    So, I put to you good and kind folks...have you ever thought about taking the Trinity system and using it to emulate other game settings or else other genres? If so, what are they? What can YOUR mind dream up to use the system for?

  • #2
    Originally posted by thedonnie View Post
    So, I put to you good and kind folks...have you ever thought about taking the Trinity system and using it to emulate other game settings or else other genres? If so, what are they? What can YOUR mind dream up to use the system for?
    Only just about every waking second of my life after the Aberrant Kickstarter. Though, some of the attempts I've made at creating crossovers have not panned out that well. Besides my MtAw hack, I'm also in the middle of trying to formulate how Aberrant's rules can be used to emulate Fate Servants. It's progressing... somewhat.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Critian Caceorte View Post
      It's progressing... somewhat.
      Keep at it. I have had to scrap my setting more than once but then it all came crashing down on me in this deluge of creativity and so I went from pecking to being barely capable of writing down all of my ideas before the next one hit me.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've used the system for Space Opera and Planetary Romance.

        If you wish to blend Planetary Romance with Sword and Sorcery this system also works.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know if anyone is playing the game Evil Genius 2: World Domination or the one before, but I'm planning on using the Adventure! system to play in a modified version of the Evil Genius setting. There's just something about the campy 60/70s aesthetics that brings a smile to my face and I love the old James Bond movies. In theory, you could just use the Core book, but I also wanted stalwarts and mesmerists in the game.

          Comment


          • #6
            To be honest I was in many ways waiting for Adventure! because the nature of the Inspired there (as shown in the Core for Talents) can be easily translated to almost any other modern or futuristic or even some fantasy settings. Talents fit everywhere since there powers aren't really flashy. Think about a main character in almost anything and Talents could be used to represent the better than life sort of person.

            So yeah, pulp, planetary romance, space opera, sword and sorcery (not mages but the other types) can all work well.

            So yeah, I see soooo much potential for the Storypath game. Much more than actually using its inbuilt settings in fact.

            Comment


            • #7
              How well would this system hold up for mid-to-high fantasy, ala most JRPG video games like Persona or old school Final Fantasy? Actually, Persona-users are kinda talent/stalwart mixes. Magi in final Fantasy are kind of like psychics.

              I'm also interested if the scale rules can handle Mecha games - both in the Real Robot and Super Robot genres. Gundam, Code: Gease, Evangelion, Robotech/Macross, the recent SSSS.Gridman/Dynazenon anime. Or even in the smaller scale like modeling spider-tanks like the Tachikoma from GitS:SAC?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wingnut2292 View Post
                I'm also interested if the scale rules can handle Mecha games - both in the Real Robot and Super Robot genres. Gundam, Code: Gease, Evangelion, Robotech/Macross, the recent SSSS.Gridman/Dynazenon anime. Or even in the smaller scale like modeling spider-tanks like the Tachikoma from GitS:SAC?
                Rules for VARGs (Vacuum Assault and Reconnaissance Gear) are in the Æon Æxpansion.


                Ian A. A. Watson
                Onyx Path Community Manager
                Trinity Continuum Content Lead

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wingnut2292 View Post
                  How well would this system hold up for mid-to-high fantasy, ala most JRPG video games like Persona or old school Final Fantasy? Actually, Persona-users are kinda talent/stalwart mixes. Magi in final Fantasy are kind of like psychics.
                  Aberrant can handle a LOT of the heavy lifting for most things. Change out the word Quantum for the word Mana and just design some powers for your spells. For physical abilities (like suplexing a train) can be done with Mega-Attributes and such.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am already planning to use the Adventure! material to run Return to the Mountains of Madness. I have a couple of players who are adverse to cosmic horror, but mixing it with Adventure! gives the characters a bit of an edge they wouldn't have had otherwise. Oh, they're still going to struggle with the madness and what not. Just giving them a little more juice/agency to ease them into the bigger story (and the ability to absolutely change it if they decide to).


                    I game. This is the way.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Storyteller View Post
                      I am already planning to use the Adventure! material to run Return to the Mountains of Madness. I have a couple of players who are adverse to cosmic horror, but mixing it with Adventure! gives the characters a bit of an edge they wouldn't have had otherwise. Oh, they're still going to struggle with the madness and what not. Just giving them a little more juice/agency to ease them into the bigger story (and the ability to absolutely change it if they decide to).
                      I can dig it. The fact that they have powers kind of adds in a false sense of security.
                      "Bring on Cthulhu! I will throw this car at him!"
                      *Elder God shows up. Shreds his mind*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

                        So yeah, pulp, planetary romance, space opera, sword and sorcery (not mages but the other types) can all work well.
                        In the old Sword and Sorcery pulp stories magic and psionics weren't distinguished. A Psiad that needs rituals to use their powers would work. More potent magics generally required either talismans (gadgets or artifacts) or summoned demons.

                        Ming the Merciless could be Stalwart (both the fact he's fireproof and his Mad Science skills). And he's a fine model for Sword and Sorcery mage.
                        Last edited by Astromancer; 04-12-2021, 07:47 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X