Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] How to detect telepathy

A practical question.

How can you know if someone is controlled by a telepath?

Does posession have any side-effects that can show that something is wrong?

Thanks

I'd allow an opposed roll between the possessor and the person trying to figure out they are acting a little bit off. Enhancements for the possessor scanning the victim's memories would help the possessor, and I'd give enhancements to the skeptical person based on how well they know the victim.

Comment

You cant detect other than changes in behavior or similar changes and only hen under effect of some effects. Many of the powers from a telepath don't really change the way the people think or behave, most just give a desire to do something unusual or make they believe in something unusual, like a deep hypnosis or similar, what would not really change anything other than when the subject comes to play.

Now, a Clairsentient, a Telepath or a Quantakinetic can detect the power affecting the target, the first and the last detect the power itself and the telepath can detect the effects of the power in the target mind when reading the affected part of the mind.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Unless you've got technology or powers that let you perceive powers in use, you'd probably be limited to mundane observation. Outright telepathic control would probably require an opposed roll: Manipulation + Larceny (+Enhancement for actually using the victim's body) versus Cunning + Empathy (+Enhancement for how well you know the victim) is the most obvious scenario to me, although there are undoubtedly many other relevant dice pools you could use.

Comment

Attunement can detect psionic powers in use, and spend successes to zero in and gain more information; 'is this person being affected by telepathy or using telepathy' is absolutely within bounds, particularly with the clairsentient basic power The Sight, which can reveal particular aptitudes and deeper information. Basically, any psion knows when psychic stuff is happening, comes with being psychic.

Comment

Thanks, good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyCricket View Post
              Attunement can detect psionic powers in use, and spend successes to zero in and gain more information; 'is this person being affected by telepathy or using telepathy' is absolutely within bounds, particularly with the clairsentient basic power The Sight, which can reveal particular aptitudes and deeper information. Basically, any psion knows when psychic stuff is happening, comes with being psychic.
              Not so much. Attunement picks up strong psi sources - powerful psions, potent bioware, and strong psi effects. It might pick up a strong telepathic effect as a powerful psi effect in range, and with additional successes give a sense of direction that points to the victim, but it’s not going to tell you Aptitude or effect. Those elements are Quantakinesis’ domain.

Telepathy is deliberately subtle and most effects are hard to notice. The most common method is going to be Empathy rolls (how difficult depends on how well the viewer knows the victim) and even then, if the telepath is careful, are probably going to suggest the victim is behaving a little off or is preoccupied with something, rather than call out ‘mind control’.
              Last edited by Bunyip; 04-27-2021, 05:49 PM.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Not so much. Attunement picks up strong psi sources - powerful psions, potent bioware, and strong psi effects. It might pick up a strong telepathic effect as a powerful psi effect in range, and with additional successes give a sense of direction that points to the victim, but it’s not going to tell you Aptitude or effect. Those elements are Quantakinesis’ domain.

Telepathy is deliberately subtle and most effects are hard to notice. The most common method is going to be Empathy rolls (how difficult depends on how well the viewer knows the victim) and even then, if the telepath is careful, are probably going to suggest the victim is behaving a little off or is preoccupied with something, rather than call out ‘mind control’.
                ah! I see. The Sight can identify aptitude, but not match that to a detected power, so there’s a lot of inference needed to pick apart what’s happening.

attunement on 204, though, doesn’t specify strength the way it does for psions or bioware. “..powerful psions, potent bioware, or psionic powers are being used...” I suppose, given some thought, it would have to, or else you’d quickly ramp up to large attunement radiuses getting way too many pings to be useful. Makes sense. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyCricket View Post
                  ah! I see. The Sight can identify aptitude, but not match that to a detected power, so there’s a lot of inference needed to pick apart what’s happening.
                  Correct. With Attunement, you might pick up a powerful psionic source coming from a person (what constitutes powerful depends on the SG, the needs of the game, and the successes), but you don’t know if that’s because the person is telepathically controlled, are a BK shapeshifted to resemble the person, have just had a bunch of VK work done to heal their injuries or boost their abilities, or are currently subject to some clairsentient scrying.

You know something’s happening and can investigate. Drama ensues!

attunement on 204, though, doesn’t specify strength the way it does for psions or bioware. “..powerful psions, potent bioware, or psionic powers are being used...”
                  Take care not to selectively leave off the beginning of that sentence. “Success tells the psion if any strong Psi sources, such as powerful psions, potent bio-ware, or psionic powers are being used within her Attunement range.”

‘Strong psi sources’ is the subject before examples begin.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

A psi with Subquantum Sense (a basic power that Chitra Bhanu and any psi with an aux QK mode will have) knows the "aptitude, level, and mode that is being used on the target" (Aeon pg 239). So there's that.

While Chibs are rare, QK auxiliary modes are not that rare. That's why there is still a market for QK modes IADs (Aeon pg 291).

So, chibs can notice people being possessed. Since the CB Proxy was possessed for so long and no one noticed, I rule that infiltrated Doyen have a cloaking device for that.

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                      So, chibs can notice people being possessed. Since the CB Proxy was possessed for so long and no one noticed, I rule that infiltrated Doyen have a cloaking device for that.
                      The Doyen possessing Bhurano just used her 1st dot of Fundamentals to strip away Subquantum Sense’s effect on her (and probably any Doyen nearby). None of the other Chibs could push through the approx. +18 Complication to sense any possession.
                      Last edited by Bunyip; 04-28-2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

The Doyen possessing Bhurano just used her 1st dot of Fundamentals to strip away Subquantum Sense’s effect on her (and probably any Doyen nearby). None of the other Chibs could push through the approx. +18 Complication to sense any possession.
                        Good point! I won't get to the discuss that the basic power is not a mode so it technically could not be blocked by fundamentals 1, because rules as intended.

(Could you show me how do you get to +18 Complication, as an aside?

I could get to:

<psi:6 + mode:7 = 13 dice> => 13 *0.444 = 6 enhancements (round up)
                        <mode:7 - mode:1> = 6 enhancements
                        <noetic harmony> = 2 enhancements

That gives 14 enhancements. Where did I miss the other extra 4 enhancements?)

18, or even 14 enhancements is no easy feat to overcome, I accept. Even more with the basic powers, that do not get enhancements (or do they?)

But that does still mean that the doyen that possesses psis that do not have QK will still need something worked out.

Comment

Scale from the proxy levels of the power maybe?

ETA: No, that's Noetic Harmony, isn't it?
                          Last edited by Florin; 04-28-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
                            (Could you show me how do you get to +18 Complication, as an aside?
                            Sorry, that was my late night brain inserting errors and counting both Psi and Mode as Enhancement. It should be +12-14 Complication as you’ve said.

And yes to RAI - Basic Powers count as Modes for these purposes, hence why they use your highest Mode dots for activation. Basic powers do get Enhancement from Mode, yes. But few Basic Powers make use of those Enhancements, so it’s safe to ignore them most of the time.
                            Last edited by Bunyip; 04-28-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Another thought.

If a Qin posesses someone. Would mindscan detect two minds or an alien mind?

Comment

Working...
                              X