EDENITE CAMPAIGN: Novas in the Aeon Era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDENITE CAMPAIGN: Novas in the Aeon Era

The extrasolar colony of Eden fascinates me. And I have often found myself pondering a campaign centered around Novas from that world for use in an Aeon game. There is a great deal of material to work with, and I think that with some care and planning, could make for a wonderfully epic series of games and stories. Nova characters in such a setting could be from Eden, one of the Nova founded planets mentioned in Distant Worlds supplement, homebrew planets or even from Earth. Adventures could center around Eden itself, space exploration, training, helping lost colonies, establishing better relationships with Earth, battling hostile aliens, setting up colonies, and slugging it out with Aberrants.

For power levels, I am tempted to restrict beginning Novas to 75xp and a starting maximum of Quantum 2 at character creation. This is both to allow mixed troupe play, allowing Talent, Psion and Psiad players into the mix without too much of an imbalance. Still pondering this, as the dangers of the overarching setting can put even standard and advanced Novas in serious danger.

THE EDEN PATH (SOCIETY)
    The character is a citizen of the extrasolar colony of Eden (see Aeon Trinity sourcebook page 100), and is a member of its Nova community. As a part of Edens Novas, they see themselves as superior to humanity, and ultimately responsible towards the safety of baselines. When dealing with the people of Eden, a Nova can expect to be treated as a demigod, revered by the baseline populace and deferred to in all matters. However, while away from Eden, Nova characters can expect to be feared and hated, due to the predations of the Aberrants. All Eden Novas can expect tutelage from the ruling Edenite Novas, who have high expectations for fledgling Novas.
    PATH CONCEPTS
    Aberrant hunter, interstellar archeologist, living god, paragon, quantum scientist, xenobiologist
    Example Connections: Aberrant cultist, Alien, Chitra Bhanu survivor, Upeo wa Macho member
    Skills: Athletics, Command, Empathy, Integrity
    Edges: Attunement, Chrysalis, Fame, Patron

Have any of you tried something similar?
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 05-11-2021, 11:57 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

If it matters to you, you've gone WAY over on the Edges on that path. 27 dots of edges instead of 15. You count the maximum number of dots for an Edge. Attunement and Wealth are both worth 5, for example. However, if that doesn't matter to you, it looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
      If it matters to you, you've gone WAY over on the Edges on that path. 27 dots of edges instead of 15. You count the maximum number of dots for an Edge. Attunement and Wealth are both worth 5, for example. However, if that doesn't matter to you, it looks good to me.
      Yes, I am aware. I was thinking on options for psiad or even talent Edenites. But as this is for Nova PC's, I will fix it.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 05-11-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Firstly, this is awesome. Eden is awesome. The whole fact that there is a pure Nova society in Aaeon that is not corrupted, tainted, evil or whatnot is brilliant. No dark underbelly for me in that world - not that there can't be a single nova that does bad things, just that its not a societal element.

So yeah this is great.

Also the idea of playing a nova from that world (or heck a Psiad, imagine being a Psiad from Eden when the world meets Psions from Earth, what a 'woah' moment there) would be cool. There is a lot of potential for interesting adventurers.

One of the issues would be social - novas from Eden consider themselves separate and different from baselines, an element that psions of Earth do not. (Personally I think the way Eden runs things makes sense. You can't really put novas in the same exact list of laws and such that baselines have to follow, you really can't, not if you want something stable.)

So yeah, this is awesome.

---

Oh. And on the 'have you tried anything smilar' well I did run a short 1e campaign where the characters were novas from Eden during the Aeon era who did some work on and around Earth as a sort of diplomatic team. The campaign didn't last that long - work and school - but it had elements of politics and investigation on Earth and war in space against aberrants and also exploration among the stars.
        Last edited by LordHeru; 05-11-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

As a random thing would Wealth even be something that one needs to buy if you are a Nova on Eden. I mean wouldn't mechanically said character be like Wealth N/A since Eden Novas can basically 'take' whatever they want from their own planet - especially those novas doing something for the planet itself.

Also would Dormancy even be a thing. I mean I get it from a mechanical standpoint but culturally a Nova of Eden isn't going to pretend they aren't a nova. Its not really a 'thing' of their society. (Not that I am saying players shouldn't be able to get it, as players are different, just that it wouldn't be common.)

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            As a random thing would Wealth even be something that one needs to buy if you are a Nova on Eden. I mean wouldn't mechanically said character be like Wealth N/A since Eden Novas can basically 'take' whatever they want from their own planet - especially those novas doing something for the planet itself.

Also would Dormancy even be a thing. I mean I get it from a mechanical standpoint but culturally a Nova of Eden isn't going to pretend they aren't a nova. Its not really a 'thing' of their society. (Not that I am saying players shouldn't be able to get it, as players are different, just that it wouldn't be common.)

I was thinking Wealth = "has whatever they want". But that doesn't really fit well. So, I agree, and removed it. If an Edenite wants to have wealth in in other places, that is up to them.

As for Dormancy, I was thinking of missions among baselines. But I will leave that for characters to buy on their own. Same with Eufiber.
            Last edited by MythAdvocate; 05-11-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Dormancy can be useful for Grounding (if your Novas can attain Flux), and also for teaching humbleness to the Novas, as "this is how it's like to be a baseline, so keep this in mind when asking things from them". I think this is something I'd do in my Eden, if a part of the Theme is verisimilitude and societal stability and respect for baselines.

Comment

So where do we sign up to play?

Comment

I was about to start something similar in a solo campaign before the pandemic hit full force. An Edenite 'recruited' by Upeo wa Macho during the time 'cut off' from Earth; after much vetting goes through the Prometheus Chamber. Upon renewed 'relations' with Earth, an Æon telepath is assigned to monitor her (as a handler; officially in game her background is classified, implied spookshow stuff). The character still hasn't been to the Sol system, let alone Earth. Technically she is an ambassador though.
                  We were going to aim for a more Star Trek, explorer vibe. Lots of visiting far away worlds, meeting new people, dealing with diplomatic incidents, hiding her origins from everyone except her bosses, etc.
                  One of her Aspirations was to own her very own jumpship. In theory, a later one would be to visit Earth.
                  Pretty sure we were just going to tweak the path from Distant Worlds though.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

As a random idea, imagine if Eden was just the face planet of an entire cluster of nova dominated and baseline lived on worlds. Maybe its just the closest world to Earth and such.

I would want to keep to the Eden theme that the novas there are full true novas, meaning there isn't any corrupted worlds of monstrous pure evil novas.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                      As a random idea, imagine if Eden was just the face planet of an entire cluster of nova dominated and baseline lived on worlds. Maybe its just the closest world to Earth and such.

I would want to keep to the Eden theme that the novas there are full true novas, meaning there isn't any corrupted worlds of monstrous pure evil novas.
                      It would also be interesting if they had something of a cold war going on against The Colony and its aberrant minions

Comment

Originally posted by stanlemon View Post

It would also be interesting if they had something of a cold war going on against The Colony and its aberrant minions

"Oh, you think the forces of The Colony are large? Well, it would be even larger if we weren't engaging them in blockades on the three different fronts of the West Quarter, the Havvingstan Traverse, and the Divinis Nebula."

Comment

Now that Aberrant is out, I wonder if we will eventually get a Eden/Nova supplement for Aeon with official rules for playing an Edenite.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremysbrain View Post
                            Now that Aberrant is out

It's being delivered to Kickstarter backers, but is not yet available to the public.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager
                            Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremysbrain View Post
                              Now that Aberrant is out, I wonder if we will eventually get a Eden/Nova supplement for Aeon with official rules for playing an Edenite.
                              I would indeed like a crossover guide on handling Psion/Psiad and Nova PCs in the same setting. As it stands there are some minor overarching rule differences between Aberrant and Aeon (like capping enhancements) that take some finagling.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X