[Aeon] 2e Dysfunction Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aeon] 2e Dysfunction Query

I'm just trying to get a handle on if I'm reading the 2e dysfunction rules properly, because the result feels slightly counterintuitive.

If I have, say, Translocation 2, Transmassion 4 and Transportal 0 because my Upeo thinks portals are for nerds or whatever, then I am - currently - dysfunction free.

If I want to travel along with people I'm Transmit Personing (without a teleportation helm) then I want Translocation 4, which necessitates Translocation 3.

I am now, as far as I can tell, Translocation 3, Transmassion 4 and Transportal 0, giving me a Dysfunction in Translocation, not Transmassion.

This makes my 'primary mode', not my highest mode. Which feels pretty counterintuitive to me. I don't think I'm reading Dysfunction wrong, but am wondering if I am because... yeah, feels odd.

I believe you would get the bonus to Translocation and a penalty to Transportal and Transmassion. However, I'm not 100% on that.

Comment

Dysfunction only works from the highest mode to the second mode, so in this case you never go Dysfunctional because you’re second mode is 2 dots or less bellow the main mode.

There is also a detail, modes with no dots don’t count, as far as I recall, so if you are 3 dots in one mode and 0 in the others you should not be dysfunctional, mainly because you can’t use your other modes, so you would get no penalties, just the big fat enhancement in your single mode.

I may be wrong about the second paragraph, but I am positively sure about the first paragraph:

“Resolution: This Condition resolves when the psion increases one of her other Modes so that it is no more than 2 lower than her Dysfunctional Mode.“ Aeon page 209
      The Dysfunctional mode is always the highest mode, if any mode is 2 or less dots away from the highest one, the condition is resolved.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

You may be correct, Mateus, but the book says nothing about it needing to be your highest node. Has QK clarified this previously?

Comment

sadly, Modes with 0 dots do count.

Aeon, p. 208: "A character suffers dysfunction if any one Mode is more than two greater than her next highest Mode. A character with three dots in only one Mode would be dysfunctional."
          Last edited by Timecrafter; 05-28-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

The way that quote reads, I can have 5,4,1 and be dysfunctional since the 4 is more than two greater than the 1, since the 1 is the next highest after 4.

Comment

You absolutely can be dysfuntional in a Mode that’s not your highest. In the OP’s post, with Translocation 3, Transmassion 4 and Transportal 0, Translocation is the dysfunctional Mode, and that interferes with the character’s ability to use their highest Mode, Transmassion.

This is why it’s beneficial for psions to progress all their Modes or risk dysfunction.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                You absolutely can be dysfuntional in a Mode that’s not your highest. In the OP’s post, with Translocation 3, Transmassion 4 and Transportal 0, Translocation is the dysfunctional Mode, and that interferes with the character’s ability to use their highest Mode, Transmassion.

This is why it’s beneficial for psions to progress all their Modes or risk dysfunction.
                Oh never read it that way. I always assumed:
                Translocation 3, Transmassion 4 and Transportal 0 - no dysfunction, because difference between highest mode (Transmassion 4) and second highest mode (Translocation 3) is not 3+, the lowest mode is not considered as Translocation is only the second highest mode.

Translocation 6, Transmassion 3 and Transportal 0 - only dysfunction in Translocation 6, because it´s the highest mode.

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
                Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

Then, this means that this character would have 1 enhancement for using translocation and +3 difficulty on transmassion?

Originally posted by maekkel View Post

Translocation 6, Transmassion 3 and Transportal 0 - only dysfunction in Translocation 6, because it´s the highest mode.
                  And this character would be disfunctional on translocation and transmassion?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                    Dysfunction only works from the highest mode to the second mode, so in this case you never go Dysfunctional because you’re second mode is 2 dots or less bellow the main mode.

(...)

“Resolution: This Condition resolves when the psion increases one of her other Modes so that it is no more than 2 lower than her Dysfunctional Mode.“ Aeon page 209
                    The Dysfunctional mode is always the highest mode, if any mode is 2 or less dots away from the highest one, the condition is resolved.
                    "A character suffers dysfunction if any one Mode is more than two greater than her next highest Mode."

Emphasis mine. I get what you're suggesting about the Condition 'autoresolving' because there's a Mode that is higher than (Dysfunction Mode -2) - but if we're being really strict about RAW that happens when you raise a Mode so it'd happen if Transmassion was taken to 5. If we're not getting strict, it's more intuitive that the resolution is "....one of her Modes that is more than two lower than the Dysfunctional Mode...".

It feels a little more like it's beneficial for (at least some aptitudes of) Psions to be dysfunctional in a single Mode than to progress all modes. A Transportal 5 Teep with 0 in their other two would be more powerful, have the same core capabilities covered and for a fraction of the cost of a 4/4/2 Teep.

Originally posted by Vjornin View Post
                    This is what I'm now wondering. What if my Teep gets to Translocation 4, Transmassion 4, Transportal 0.

Either (a) they still have the Dysfunction: Translocation condition, because it's not been resolved and you can only have one Dysfunction Condition,
                    (b) they have Dysfunction for Translocation and Transmassion because they both have a 'next-highest Mode' of 0,
                    or (c) there is no Dysfunction because both are eachother's 'next lowest Mode', however there's an issue here in that the resolution criteria for the Condition are not met.
                    Last edited by Gaan Cathal; 05-28-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vjornin View Post
                      Then, this means that this character would have 1 enhancement for using translocation and +3 difficulty on transmassion?
                      Yes.

Correct. But because of double dysfunction, the character would gain +1 Enhancement and suffer +3 Difficulty when using either Mode.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Gaan Cathal View Post
                        It feels a little more like it's beneficial for (at least some aptitudes of) Psions to be dysfunctional in a single Mode than to progress all modes. A Transportal 5 Teep with 0 in their other two would be more powerful, have the same core capabilities covered and for a fraction of the cost of a 4/4/2 Teep.
                        If this seems like something fun for your game to explore, go ahead, but I don’t think the +2 Enhancement to that one Mode outweighs the benefits of having more Modes available, or the +4 Difficulty the character faces if they eventually do work on fixing the imbalance.

Further, this is where you’re entering role playing territory for consequences. Such a psion is going to be *extremely weird* by any normal standard. Their personality is going to shift to be maniacally focussed on expressing that one Mode at all times, they’re going to have difficulty adjusting to overcome the imbalance, and they’re going to be toxic to psions around them as their noetic field is dramatically skewed. Nearly any psi order they belong to is going to look to put them under mandatory treatment to try and pull them back from the edge.

From a character point of view, they’re going to be really good at one thing, but I’d imagine that’s likely to get old pretty quickly.

This is what I'm now wondering. What if my Teep gets to Translocation 4, Transmassion 4, Transportal 0.
                        Whatever works for your game. From an out of character view, I’d probably let them not have dysfunction, because the numbers work. From an in character perspective, they’d feel like they’re teetering on the knife’s edge of dysfunction, most likely having just come out of dysfunction and having worked to overcome it by pushing strength into temporary balance rather than realising the best path was to address their deficiency to find balance. And now they’re kind of stuck waiting to plunge back into dysfunction if they raise any Mode.

Comment

Working...
                        X