Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the difference between Quantum and Quantum Flux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the difference between Quantum and Quantum Flux?

Please explain. I’m confused.

Do you mean as game stats or in the narrative of the game?

In game terms, quantum is how generally powerful your nova is, and quantum flux is how far along towards being warped by their powers they are. (Having 10 points of quantum flux at once gets you a point of Transcendence and then resets.)

In the narrative of the game, quantum flux is the state of quantum instability which allows novas to erupt and their powers to work. Each nova is basically a living tornado of quantum flux in the fabric of reality. That instability also warps them over time and can warp the people and areas around them, like quantum flux zones in Aeon.

Comment

Another way to explain is, Quantum is what novas can manipulate, and Quantum flux is the use of quantum by a nova, Nova or Q-Tech and the remaining instability in Quantum that are called Quantum Flux Zones caused by too much quantum manipulation over some time.

If you are talking about the quantum planet in UAS, Quantum Flux is what is keeping the system working and forming the manifestations (by the way awesome material).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        Another way to explain is, Quantum is what novas can manipulate, and Quantum flux is the use of quantum by a nova, Nova or Q-Tech and the remaining instability in Quantum that are called Quantum Flux Zones caused by too much quantum manipulation over some time.

If you are talking about the quantum planet in UAS, Quantum Flux is what is keeping the system working and forming the manifestations (by the way awesome material).
        Thank you 😊. I was talking about that.

Comment

Quantum (descriptive word) is the power source.
          Quantum (stat) is how strong your nova is.
          Quantum Points is how much of the power source you can use before you run out.
          Quantum Flux (decriptive word) either refers to what novas are causing OR it refers to dangerous corrupting quantum pollution, and those are two different things.*
          Quantum Flux (stat) refers to how close a nova is becoming to gaining another point of Transcendence.
          Flux (setting) is the thing that Talents manipulate and has absolutely nothing to do with Quantum Flux.

I kinda wish they'd chosen seven completely different terms instead.

*In one of the Aberrant fictions, it clearly portrays Quantum Flux specifically as the corrupting force. In Aeon, it says that Doyen are vulnerable to Quantum Flux but means they're vulnerable to the normal use of Quantum, not the corrupting pollution.

Comment

Great summary.

On the asterisk I think they are just one thing, but seen through different eyes and paradigms. Quantum is seam as corruption by the general public in Aeon era, mainly because Aberrant war and QFZ, but it doesn’t mean it’s corruption when used with responsibility.

The Taniwha of Rohe is a absolutely powerful quantum flux zone that doesn’t corrupt people. Sure it killed the planet, not directly, I didn’t read it entirely but it seams the creators killed the planet by occupying it completely and covering it with technology and eventually turning the planet into a piece of technology, but it don’t have the same corrupting effect as QFZ in Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
              I didn’t read it entirely but it seams the creators killed the planet by occupying it completely and covering it with technology and eventually turning the planet into a piece of technology, but it don’t have the same corrupting effect as QFZ in Earth.
              By my reading, the planet was killed by the system’s sun, with no involvement from the Taniwha. Their whole stick is that they cannot do anything without a sentient with quantum potential being present.

Basically their creators left them behind to aid whatever life evolves on the planet after they transcended, but no other life reached sentience before the star became a red giant and burned out the biosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeea View Post
                Quantum (descriptive word) is the power source.
                Quantum (stat) is how strong your nova is.
                Quantum Points is how much of the power source you can use before you run out.
                Quantum Flux (decriptive word) either refers to what novas are causing OR it refers to dangerous corrupting quantum pollution, and those are two different things.*
                Quantum Flux (stat) refers to how close a nova is becoming to gaining another point of Transcendence.
                Flux (setting) is the thing that Talents manipulate and has absolutely nothing to do with Quantum Flux.

I kinda wish they'd chosen seven completely different terms instead.

*In one of the Aberrant fictions, it clearly portrays Quantum Flux specifically as the corrupting force. In Aeon, it says that Doyen are vulnerable to Quantum Flux but means they're vulnerable to the normal use of Quantum, not the corrupting pollution.
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Zsarnok View Post

By my reading, the planet was killed by the system’s sun, with no involvement from the Taniwha. Their whole stick is that they cannot do anything without a sentient with quantum potential being present.

Basically their creators left them behind to aid whatever life evolves on the planet after they transcended, but no other life reached sentience before the star became a red giant and burned out the biosphere.
                  Thank you. It gives even more to the Clean Quantum Flux material

Comment

Originally posted by Zsarnok View Post

This is correct. The creators transcended. Millions of years of evolution came and went. Then the star went red giant in the natural course of its stellar life cycle and burned out the planet. Eventually, humans found the planet.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                    X