Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Æon] Alternate Qin

A couple of house rules that I'm considering:

1. Replace the Qin Physique Condition with Might Scale 0 from Trinity Continuum: Aberrant. That's essentially what Qin Physique is attempting to simulate: being unusually small and weak.

2. Biosuits aren't part of the Qin; they're possessions, and ought to be acquired and upgraded in a manner similar to how humans acquire and upgrade VARGs, rather than through experience points.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 07-18-2021, 05:02 PM.

1. I even suggested it in the Errata long ago. Much more “Storypath-y” and make possible to do things using Might if it’s not 3+

2. I am really interested in this one. The issue I had while trying to houserule this one is to make it more gradual than 1-5 dots +L in wealth, but other than that it’s perfectly fine.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

2. Perhaps the biosuits are particularly difficult to integrate with well- make a "Qin Biosuit Operation" skill and give an upgrade or two with each skill point? Buying an airplane doesn't teach you how to fly the airplane, after all.

Comment

2. But what's to stop a qin from getting the best possible biosuit from the starting Supertech? Say what you will about point-buy systems being somewhat unnatural, but having something to look forward to buying through game currency (i.e., xp) is a good thing.

Comment

By that argument, shouldn't psions have to spend experience points to acquire biotech?

Comment

The definitions of what is going to be spent on and acquired always have to be defined within context.

Qin already pay less (attunement) for their other biotech. And psions have more modes to spend experience on.

So, it's good that Qin have this whole category of expenses that allows them to really customize their mecha-body.

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post
              Say what you will about point-buy systems being somewhat unnatural
              I am not trying to detract from the conversation but I have never heard of point buy systems as being "unnatural"
              Only if you have only ever played random character generation systems would it be unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post

I am not trying to detract from the conversation but I have never heard of point buy systems as being "unnatural"
                Only if you have only ever played random character generation systems would it be unnatural.

In this case, the argument that I was making a counterpoint was that having to pay experience for body improvements that were actually biotech is somewhat 'unnatural'. After all, as it is biotech you could only have to buy it with resources and format it.

My argument was the even if you thought that way, having meaningful character growth gated as something that experience buys is not that bad, when you don't have many other options to spend xp.

Comment

Well in the lore it was lampshaded that the qin took quite some time to change their biosuits.

As the general rulesystem is buitl in the asumption of a more or less humanoid template, and as suggested above. Why not tell that the biosuit generally are just changing the scale (from 0 to 2) plus some VARG components?

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
                  Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    2. Biosuits aren't part of the Qin; they're possessions, and ought to be acquired and upgraded in a manner similar to how humans acquire and upgrade VARGs, rather than through experience points.
                    There's one big difference between a human in a VARG and a Qin in a biosuit- a Qin can (and probably will) just wear the suit through the entire course of an adventure with no issues, while a human is obviously and blatantly wearing a suit of possibly military equipment. A player in a VARG can't go to a business meeting in a city, or walk down a city street, any more than the stereotypical D&D player who never takes his armor off could.
                    From a gameplay standpoint, the Qin in the suit is the Qin.

Comment

Working...
                    X