Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] Is there any plans for the higher quantum aberrant powers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] Is there any plans for the higher quantum aberrant powers?

Granted, for a number of them, you can just use scaling with the currently published powers, but for things like Ecological supremacy, etc, that were originally in the player's guide.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 07-18-2021, 05:02 PM.

Most of the Authorities and Supremacies it’s all about scale, you are changing the shape of a massive number of creatures, or changing the geological activity of an entire planet or some other effects. At least that’s the idea for the most “instantaneous” powers, as some of them have effects that take long time to show up, like the increase in radiation resistance in the animal population over generations.

For this long efforts, I would say you need no specific power, you just use your powers to do power stunts and set the results, or just talk to SG so they can use it in the plot. I mean, the rules were convoluted and it was all about rolling dice to determine the time it take to get the effect.

Same for universe creation, it’s just a plot hook and a way to do a amazing retirement to your character, there is little to no uses for it that are not about abducting people and locking them out of range of absolutely any one except you.

Last one, Plank scaling, is just a way to allow your character to do any thing with a power stunt of your choice, with no limitations in theme or who can use it. Once you get Q9, I see no reason to not allow this kind of effect as standard for any lower scale end.

Well, that’s my opinion, I would be glad to discuss in details of my opinion and how to use it in game. Personally my aberrant games never got to that end game situation, so I have a theoretical view of them in game, but I never saw any big use of most of them other than plot and time off descriptions.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Yes, people forget power stunts in TC:Ab and those really cover a lot of corner cases. Some things might be power stunts for two separate powers (for example, create living things with a combination of biological powers and Quantum Agent to provide them with motive force).

Comment

True. Granted, I`'d like to see some closer rules for "quantum projects" say along the line of sorcerous workings for Exalted, since most of these higher level powers are less "blast something" than they are "fundamentally change things."

Huh, I wonder if modifying the invention rules might work? instead of inventing a thing, you're inventing a change in the environment around you.

That+ power stunts for more casual use might work, especially given that even the old players handbook pointed out that in most cases, probably only a few, maybe even a single, nova would ever have any printed power.

Comment

My suggestion is, instead of modifying invention rules, treat the “fundamental change” as a Goliath, and “fight“ it over long periods of time, maybe a roll every few months or year, or even generations.

Comment

The Aeon Trinity's Medea Initiative was formed, "as a response to an Aberrant with the power to literally make words poisonous and ideas viral" while China's system of laws were designed by a nova and can't be replicated elsewhere, so canon has quantum powers producing some truly absurd effects. This sounds like odd uses of the invention rules to me.

Comment

The Chinese law system for sure is an invention, but poisonous words and viral ideas are powers with some weird combination of tags.

Lets say you can say a word that causes a condition to anyone that listen and, if that person repeat it it will cause the same condition to anyone that listen it. The condition is a disease and will eventually get worse and kill the person and all that listen to it. Quantum attack with Non lethal (it will kill but takes some time), Subtle, Impose (so it will replicate), sonic (to ignore armor, and because it is spoken). That would cover the practical use in game, the rest (people getting sick and dying of it is an extra that would not really affect any character other than those that need to be affected, basically a narrative plot.

The idea is get the effects you need for the situation, power stunt anything you need to happen in a long term or slight out of expected initially and let the narrative fill the rest. The SG can do the same, but it would be just GMing…

Comment

Working...
              X