[Aberrant] Dependent Power and other Restricted Tag uses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] Dependent Power and other Restricted Tag uses

I love the "Restricted" tag. Seriously, it enables us to do all sort of thematic things in the game.

1) So I was thinking about "dependent" powers, eg. Weathergirl has Flight, but can ONLY fly while her Environmental Anima power is active. So, she buys Flight as a dependent power. So, in your opinion, "Dependent Power" should be the same as "Restricted -1", -2, or -3 Tag? Any particular reason?

2) I've stumbled in the concept of a nova that has Mega-Cunning, but does NOT have the Keen Senses Edges (and other similar ones, you got the Mega-Attb but not some/all the extra Edges or bonus(es) ). So, here we go again! To buy this Mega-Attribute without the Keen Senses, would that be "Mega-Cunning" with Restricted -1, -2, -3?

I'm not sure about question 2, but I think your example in question 1 would be easier if you bought flight as a technique for elemental anima. That said, if you wanted to stick with the restriction route I'd say -1 because it would only cost 1 technique to do something very similar.

Comment

1) I think it should be -1. It’s not expensive power and easy to keep active all time.

2) -1 and maybe not even that for the first dot in the mega attribute. An edge costs 1/4 of the dot cost.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
        I'm not sure about question 2, but I think your example in question 1 would be easier if you bought flight as a technique for elemental anima. That said, if you wanted to stick with the restriction route I'd say -1 because it would only cost 1 technique to do something very similar.
        Yep, I know about Techniques, but my question is about cases in which you really want a power to be un-useable in some circumstances (that's almost the opposite of Techniques, LoL, since I can use both at the same time). But thanks anyway! :-]

3) What about "Dumbo Syndrome"? e.g. My nova only can use his Environmental Anima if he has his "magical" amulet with him. No amulet, no Power. Actual examples: 3.1) can only Teleport if wearing a Magical Ring; 3.2) can only Quantum Attack using a Magical Wand; 3.3) can only use Environmental Anima while holding his Magical "Wizards Staff". What would be each one of these? -1, -2, -3, why?

Ps: I know there are Q-tech rules, but the point here is exactly not needing Q-Tech. It's just a psychological crutch for a nova that reaaaaly believes he can work magic, but will have to carve another wand if he loses or breaks his current one. He may need 1 hour tops to make "the ritual" to "enchant a new wand", not even close to the work of making Q-Tech. Or even buy a wand from a "witch" he actually believes can do magic.

4) What about the reverse of 1), I mean, a "Precluded Power" (or even "Precluding Power")? e.g.: JetHands can create jets of hot propulsion with his hands (Quantum Attack) aaaand... he can also use these as propulsion to fly (Flight). The problem is: he can't do both at the same time: every turn, he has to choose if he Flies or if he Attacks (he can never activate both powers at once). How would you model that? 4.1) "Precluded Power tag = this power that can never be used when any other power of yours is active" (costs -1, -2, -3?); or 4.2) "Precluding Power = if this power is active, you cannot use any other power of yours" (costs -1, -2, -3?); or even 4.3) "Precluded Technique" (a tag to apply to the Technique Mega-Edge, or to Techniqued Powers, in which you cannot use the Techniqued(s) power(s) at the same time). What d'ya all think? What costs? πŸ€”

Dataweaver, maybe you'll like 4.3).
        Last edited by Timecrafter; 08-01-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timecrafter View Post
          I love the "Restricted" tag. Seriously, it enables us to do all sort of thematic things in the game.

1) So I was thinking about "dependent" powers, eg. Weathergirl has Flight, but can ONLY fly while her Environmental Anima power is active. So, she buys Flight as a dependent power. So, in your opinion, "Dependent Power" should be the same as "Restricted -1", -2, or -3 Tag? Any particular reason?

This Tag basically already exists under Phasing. I see no reason applying it to other powers wouldn't work just fine, and it's listed as -1, which sounds right to me.

2) I've stumbled in the concept of a nova that has Mega-Cunning, but does NOT have the Keen Senses Edges (and other similar ones, you got the Mega-Attb but not some/all the extra Edges or bonus(es) ). So, here we go again! To buy this Mega-Attribute without the Keen Senses, would that be "Mega-Cunning" with Restricted -1, -2, -3?

Mechanically, you can't technically do this since you can't add Tags to Mega-Attributes, but if the SG allows it this seems reasonable enough. I'd peg it as a -1, since it effects less than half the power, IMO. If you think the Keen Senses are more like half the power it'd be -2.

Yep, I know about Techniques, but my question is about cases in which you really want a power to be un-useable in some circumstances (that's almost the opposite of Techniques, LoL, since I can use both at the same time). But thanks anyway! :-]

3) What about "Dumbo Syndrome"? e.g. My nova only can use his Environmental Anima if he has his "magical" amulet with him. No amulet, no Power. Actual examples: 3.1) can only Teleport if wearing a Magical Ring; 3.2) can only Quantum Attack using a Magical Wand; 3.3) can only use Environmental Anima while holding his Magical "Wizards Staff". What would be each one of these? -1, -2, -3, why?

Ps: I know there are Q-tech rules, but the point here is exactly not needing Q-Tech. It's just a psychological crutch for a nova that reaaaaly believes he can work magic, but will have to carve another wand if he loses or breaks his current one. He may need 1 hour tops to make "the ritual" to "enchant a new wand", not even close to the work of making Q-Tech. Or even buy a wand from a "witch" he actually believes can do magic.

Restriction is based on how much it, well, restricts you. If it restricts you meaningfully, but less than half the time, it's -1, if it's around half the time, it's -2, if it's more than half the time it's -3. Personally, I'd say that 'I need a wand' is probably -1, since it can be inconvenient in the moment but is easily solved by getting a new wand even if the wand is stolen or destroyed. 'I need THIS wand, specifically' is more like -2, because taking away the wand necessitates reclaiming it to regain the power and someone destroying the wand is even worse for you (maybe you need to find a nova with Transmutation to reconstruct it). A -3 'mystical' requirement is more like 'requires a full magic ritual' or 'requires diamond dust, which is consumed in using the power', or something similarly really restrictive, just needing to have an item would never cut it for -3 unless the item is, like, the size of a car or bigger (and maybe not even then).

4) What about the reverse of 1), I mean, a "Precluded Power" (or even "Precluding Power")? e.g.: JetHands can create jets of hot propulsion with his hands (Quantum Attack) aaaand... he can also use these as propulsion to fly (Flight). The problem is: he can't do both at the same time: every turn, he has to choose if he Flies or if he Attacks (he can never activate both powers at once). How would you model that? 4.1) "Precluded Power tag = this power that can never be used when any other power of yours is active" (costs -1, -2, -3?); or 4.2) "Precluding Power = if this power is active, you cannot use any other power of yours" (costs -1, -2, -3?); or even 4.3) "Precluded Technique" (a tag to apply to the Technique Mega-Edge, or to Techniqued Powers, in which you cannot use the Techniqued(s) power(s) at the same time). What d'ya all think? What costs? πŸ€”

Dataweaver, maybe you'll like 4.3).
          This is probably also -1, just like #1, though it could be more if they're two powers that you would normally need at exactly the same time (a Quantum Attack and Quantum Field, for example). Definitely no double dipping on this one (you only get the Restriction on one of the two powers).

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking View Post

This Tag basically already exists under Phasing. I see no reason applying it to other powers wouldn't work just fine, and it's listed as -1, which sounds right to me.
            Perfect!!! \o/

Mechanically, you can't technically do this since you can't add Tags to Mega-Attributes (...)
            Yes you can, "Power tags modify nova traits, particularly Quantum Powers but sometimes also Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges" (Aberrant p.199). In fact that's how you make a character that gives Super-Strenght to others, but doesn't have it himself: "Mega-Might: Bestow Only".

Thank you for the other answers, I agree with your take about Restrictions. :-]

Comment

Yes you can, "Power tags modify nova traits, particularly Quantum Powers but sometimes also Mega-Attributes and Mega-Edges" (Aberrant p.199). In fact that's how you make a character that gives Super-Strenght to others, but doesn't have it himself: "Mega-Might: Bestow Only".
              Oh wow, I totally missed that. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking View Post

Oh wow, I totally missed that. Awesome.
                Yes it is! \o/
                My eyes got shining when I noticed this and all the doors it opens.😍

Comment

I would use Boost (Might) Bestow Only for the Mega-Might for others, but tags can be added to mega attributes and mega edges.

Comment

Originally posted by econclark View Post
                    I would use Boost (Might) Bestow Only for the Mega-Might for others, but tags can be added to mega attributes and mega edges.
                    That's another approach, with different results: using Boost you first give normal Might, then if the receiver gets to 5, it begins to become dots of Mega-Might. Using the other approach, the person simply gets Mega-Might immediately, but does not gain normal Attribute dots, ever.

In fact, reading Boost made me think about using it in baselines: " A nova cannot use Boost to increase a Mega-Attribute above her Quantum." So, does it mean I can't Boost a Baseline up to Mega-Might? not even Mega-Might 1?

That's really odd for me, I liked to see drugs like Mite as Nova-Tech Compounds that emulate Might Boost... :/

Comment

My problem is I am not quite sure what the cost/duration of the Mega Might would be in your example....

There are some other options (restricted Transformation) or perhaps the best for Mega Might would be Bestow only Mega Density Restricted (-2 no toughness)...pow. It also allows bypassing the normal Might requirements...so bonus

Comment

Bestow Mega-Might would also work, or should. By the rules it'd seem to last as long as the Bestow (which, by default starts as Maintained and is adjusted as normal with Tags...so it can't be forever, but could be up to several days).

Comment

I totally agree it should work. I guess I would take the cost from the Q-tech section for Mega-Attributes (it does make it a bit expensive though). It is nice. I would still likely prefer to have boost as the vehicle for this as that is what it is designed for. A nova cannot use boost to gain mega attributes above HER quantum. I don't think this applies to others it is bestowed upon...it is limited by the Bestowing nova's quantum, not the receiving individual's quantum. Also, for boost, if you do Impose, you could also play with your psiad friends...

Comment

Interesting.
                            There would be any cost?
                            You can bestow your might to one person or more?

Comment

Originally posted by Vjornin View Post
                              Interesting.
                              There would be any cost?
                              You can bestow your might to one person or more?

No inherent cost or limit to the number of targets if Bestowing a Mega-Attribute, but if you run completely out of Quantum they'd go away and the duration of the Bestow starts at Maintained as a default, so they go away if you are rendered unconscious in any way (including going to sleep). You also can't regain Quantum while maintaining a power and this would seem to count.

So it's got a lot of other built in limitations but no direct cost or cap on number of people who can be effected.

Comment

Working...
                              X