No announcement yet.

(Aberrant) Let's ask the board...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In theory, any appearance change that would be as permanent as Toughness Mega Edge (basically permanent except for Dormancy) would be a transformation. The mega edge itself should not change the appearance of the nova at all.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Yeah, I'd interpret Toughness as unnoticeable by default. The rules in general seem to support that conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking View Post
        Yeah, I'd interpret Toughness as unnoticeable by default. The rules in general seem to support that conclusion.
        Personally, I think the Storyguide should adjudicate that in his world some Quantum Powers and Mega-Edges are naturally "Innocuous", and for these you can buy the negative tag "Conspicuous (-1)" to make them "not-Innocuous".

I also agree with Deadmanwalking: it really seems that in vanilla, Toughness is one of these "default Innocuous".

Comment

I think that on a purely mechanical level, what makes Toughness not particularly noticeable (though actually, not technically Innocuous...Quantum Sense would still pick it up IMO, making it Subtle 1 rather than the Subtle 2 that equates to innocuous), is that it's a Mega-Edge, and the Subtle Power Tag's language seems to say that only Powers are visible by default, not Mega-Attributes or Edges (though Quantum Sense makes it clear it can pick up Mega-Attributes and thus, I'd assume, Edges as well).

So yeah, I'd personally say that, if you want to get technical, all Mega-Attributes and Edges are effectively Subtle 1, and you could modify that with Tags as normal. That requires a bit of interpretation but seems consistent with the text in regards to Mega-Attributes, the Quantum Sense Mega-Edge, and Quantum Powers. The other arguable option based on Quantum Sense is that Quantum Sense doesn't work on Mega-Edges at all, making them effectively Subtle 2, but that seems wrong to me for both thematic and mechanical reasons (you should not be able to buy all 1 dot Mega-Edges at half price just by saying 'Quantum Sense can detect them'...that's weird and exploitive).

Comment

Oh, sorry, I confused the Tag name; when I said "Innocuous" I was actually thinking about the "Subtle" Power Tag, so yeah, Quantum Sense would normally detect them all, they'd be equivalent to "Subtle 1". :-]

Comment

On the topic of the Subtle tag, how would you handle Telekinesis? Would you treat the default like how a lot of comics and Pax in 1e where there is a glowing energy indicator or like in a lot of live action media where it is an invisible force but you know it is happening because the object is moving.

Comment

Quantum Anima with some kind of visible manifestation would be the default. It could be a giant green hand, a purple light, or a string of steel, whatever is appropriate to the character.

Comment

Originally posted by stanlemon View Post
                  On the topic of the Subtle tag, how would you handle Telekinesis? Would you treat the default like how a lot of comics and Pax in 1e where there is a glowing energy indicator or like in a lot of live action media where it is an invisible force but you know it is happening because the object is moving.
                  Yeah, the default is glowing energy. Subtle can be purchased for 'invisible' telekinesis.

Comment

Powers have a more visible standard than Mega Edges, and so I agree on a more Green Lantern/Raven standard, or even maybe the normal tk with some ripples around, like in the comics for Magneto and Jean Grey.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                    X