Krakoa in the world of aberrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krakoa in the world of aberrant

For those of you who are not following the current run of the X-Men comics, here's the short version: The mutants have created their own nation, Krakoa, and that action is changing the world. I highly recommend it.

The reason I wanted to bring it forward is that I wanted to create another faction separated from the Teragen and project Utopia (That said, this faction could be seen as a splinter group of the Teragen) inspired by the comic. The basic idea is that they are novas who have no interest in being the servants of humanity, but also feel like there's no point in antagonizing the rest of the world. In many ways I feel like they would be the true inheritors of Divis Mal vision.

Now, this raises several questions: Who would pay for this endeavor? Where would this nation be situated? Does it even matter, since Novas can use their powers to terraform any place? How would they rule themselves? How would the rest of the world see them? How they interact with the rest of the world? What kind of culture and society would emerge?

These questions don't have an easy answer, since it would depend a lot on which ideological current is more dominant among the Novas who want to participate in its creation. What makes more sense for me is a mix between the most ambitious Novas of the Network faction of the Teragen, with the more independent minded of project Utopia and Elites. In any case, whatever form the government takes, I'm pretty sure that it would be one where respecting the liberties of the individual would be the maximum priority.

So, what do you think? What would your nation of Novas look like?

Eden has much of this feeling, except they have a caste of baselines that work to supply the society, while the Novas do what they can to terraform the planet they chose to live. The planet is habitable, but without the Novas the humans would be easy prey to the local fauna/flora.

Check Aeon for more info. Very interesting.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I'm always a fan of the Nova nation idea. It's good for story building as it presents a number of ideas. Other nations would at minimum be concerned at such a concentration of power. The possibilities such a nation could achieve. Political intrigue, debates on how Novas and Baselines should interact, the kind of government that would exist under super intelligent and super charismatic Novas, etc. I find the idea of Novas truly governing themselves far more interesting and mature than the Terat philosophy which has always come across to me as childish.

Comment

I have a character idea for a Nova separatist who fits pretty well under Teragen. Remember, Teragen is a not a monolithic entity. It has lots of factions which all have different end goals and different methods. They just all want to be free of baseline society.

Comment

This is, at least by what they say, pretty much what a lot of Teragen want. They just don't really have enough people organized enough and ready to do it. IMO, anyone doing this should probably have their start there in the Teragen, and would still agree with them philosophically and likely still be considered members, though their interests might diverge from the other Teragen's pretty quickly as the realities of running a country kicked in.

Comment

A big difference between Marvel Mutants and Teragen Novas is numbers. Before Genosha there were 17 million mutants. Even after Cassandra Nova's attack millions of mutants were left, and despite the Decimation, the return of the Phoenix restarted the mutant gene in humankind. So assuming numbers have increased, theres 20 million or so mutants, to Aeon's few thousand novas.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiman View Post
              A big difference between Marvel Mutants and Teragen Novas is numbers. Before Genosha there were 17 million mutants. Even after Cassandra Nova's attack millions of mutants were left, and despite the Decimation, the return of the Phoenix restarted the mutant gene in humankind. So assuming numbers have increased, theres 20 million or so mutants, to Aeon's few thousand novas.

So much this - one major thing most people are quick to forget is that, except for the case of mutants in Marvel comics (or groups in RPG playing with their themes), where the conceit of a growing mass of them in the fringes of society is a major element of their metanarrative, superbeings as a whole are usually not numerous enough to count as ghetto, ethnic group or such.

Aberrant itself, if using the "1 in a million" ratio of the previous edition might have something like 8-10 thousand Novas scattered across the world, what's already 4-5 times the current edition's Nova population - less people than you'd find in a reasonably large public school or college.

You couldn't make Monaco or San Marino with that, what to say of an actual. and that without going into the language & cultural issues that might get in the way of the actual individuals forming such a community.

Without someone making a very active effort to create a Nova population - and at a very impressive speed of population growth at that - it could take decades to centuries, if not more, for Novas to reach numbers where such a thing as a "Nova sovereign-state" would be feasible. Even with mutants in Marvel Comics it happens due to a lot metanarrative shenanigans, like the existence of Genosha with an active eugenics program insanely bumping their numbers of-screen for the sake of their "mutant apartheid/slave force" for who knows how long, to be brutally frank.

Ironically, i have played in a game where the founding of a "Krakoa state" became a major subplot - but the context was completely different, since the "living isle colonization" sprung from the need for a itinerant hideout for our "supercriminal guerilla resistance" against alien occupation of Earth.

When the war actually ended and Luther & his ilk found themselves leading thousands of people among mutants, people with mile-wide pre-war police warrants, kids in "inherited tights" turned adult as superpowered partisans, "orphan" henchmen of dozens of criminal, occult or terrorists groups that didn't suvive the war - and the all too normal relatives & loved ones of all of the above - that's when the real geopolitik mess dropped itself with a vengeance upon our laps. Fun times.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 08-28-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X