Got "Under Alien Skies"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got "Under Alien Skies"

Received this book today. An excellent addition to the Trinity Continuum. Recommended! Things I've taken away from it so far:

1) The universe is a very dangerous place.

2) The worst potential enemy any given species has is itself.

3) Humanity has been very lucky so far.

4) Think carefully before your species attempts to transcend then think twice more.

5) The Doyen are/have really screwed up.
    Last edited by Rhiannon Vashti; 08-26-2021, 01:58 PM.

Totally agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhiannon Vashti View Post

5) The Doyen are/have really screwed up.
      The choice to list them under extinct species was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post

The choice to list them under extinct species was beautiful.

Yep. As is the reason they can't increase their numbers - they don't recognize their children, which is a pretty good Star Trek plot right there to find a newborn Doyen for whatever reason and teach it about sentient life.

Comment

More than don’t recognize their children, they killed them all and banned procreation. If they were not immortal they were all dead by now.

The fact they opened the curtains about the origin of the Doyen is also amazing. Even if they don’t recall their entire existence, they for sure remember their biological life, and it has a meaning to them, means enough to be illegal to remove those memories and because it make them too alien even to them. Like the children they don’t allow to exist because it would be too alien to them.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I never thought I would feel for the Doyen but it really made me go awww. Like yeah, they are still an enemy but knowing their background made them more interesting, and that is awesome.

Beyond that, yeah, I can't disagree with anything in your chart of lessons learned.

Comment

My favorite thing about the book is all the backstory on the various species and how to roleplay them

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                I never thought I would feel for the Doyen but it really made me go awww.
                The insightful thing about them for me was the asteroid lobber they used against their first attackers/victims.

You can think of many ways to blow up a planet if you've got access to thousands of Proxy-tier psions- just one with the 7th rank of Teleportation and knowledge of where a neutron star is might be able to do it alone, but a lot of those are *fast*. That rock thrower is what you'd use if you want your target to know what's happening to them, possibly after telling them why.

Comment

The neutron star idea, as well as opening a mini portal to a star to project plasma, are very difficult things to do. The Psionic powers are weird and follow rules that make it hard to, for example, teleport only half a person, or close a portal to cut a person in half, use telekinesis to pull two end s of a person till them break in half, same for opening portals to stars.
                  Last edited by Mateus Luz; 09-13-2021, 08:17 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

The Singularity power makes it simple- overlap your location, your target spot and the neutron star. The psion chooses not to interact with the other two, and then just swaps the location of the other two when ending the power. A hundred-meter radius of neutron star stuff is about a tenth of the mass of Earth, and should also immediately expand dramatically.

Easier than getting 1500 proxy-tier psychokinetics, I'd guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X