Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Aberrant] So, how does mox actually work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadmanwalking
    started a topic [Aberrant] So, how does mox actually work?

[Aberrant] So, how does mox actually work?

Moxinoquantamine is mentioned in the Aberrant book, and stated to inhibit nova powers...but how does that actually work mechanically? Does it mimic enforced Dormancy, or count as Quantum Disruption, or what?

My current game has the players acting to capture and interrogate, rather than kill, Nova targets (and are doing so for hire, and thus well funded), and so will be making use of mox...but I rather rapidly realized I had no idea how that actually worked mechanically, which is inconvenient.

I mean, thematically, it seems like it should be something that started out as Quantum Disruption Q-Tech and then had the paradigm shifted...but what does paradigm shifted Quantum Disruption look like on a mechanical level? What dice pool is rolled for that and what level is it?

I can come up with something, obviously (at the moment, I'm leaning towards applying the Item's Enhancement as successes on Quantum Disruption directly and reflexively when a power or Mega-Attribute use is attempted, but with no roll either needed or available), but I'm curious what other people think is appropriate.
    Last edited by IanWatson; 08-29-2021, 09:37 PM.

• Deadmanwalking
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
    Considering Mox is, if memory tricks me not, a biochemical substance, i'd say a connection with Dormancy, a "passive/sleeper mode" any and all Novas can learn with relative ease, is far more probable x the workings of one specific an unusual quantum power (that is pretty much useless if not confronting other Novas, so why develop it in the first place) that also happens to be ranged, something that Mox definitely is not.

Just my two cents of thought on the subject so far.
    The big issue with enforced Dormancy (my first instinct as well) is that it makes mox injection an 'I Win' button in most inter-Nova conflict. Turning off powers, with no possible recourse, is painful and unpleasant in a potentially agency destroying way, and while at the moment it's the PCs using it, they may also get dosed at some point, so I'd rather it not feel unfair like that. Quantum Disruption (or an equivalent effect), meanwhile, is bad but potentially able to be overcome.

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Your solution sounds about right to me. Note that by the time you've paradigm shifted it to Nova Tech, it's no longer technically Quantum Disruption and doesn't have to play by precisely the same rules. In particular, it's now a drug, and should be modeled by the rules for how drugs work in the Storypath system. Things like how effective is a dose of the stuff, and what happens when you give multiple doses, etc.
    Yeah, I'm aware it doesn't technically obey the Quantum Disruption rules any more, but it feels like even once 'normalized' it should probably play by the Super Science invention rules to at least some degree. It remains a pretty high end item, after all. That'd make the 'effectiveness' partially determined by Rank (and thus the Wealth involved in purchasing it), which seems right to me (mentions are made of variations, after all, such as devices), and has the advantage of limiting PC usage of it outside specific circumstances.

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
    It’s similar to Quantum Disruption. Increase Difficulty of using Quantum powers. Aberrant 1e was +2 Difficulty per dose, which seems about right. Given the changes in system, I’d suggest that it also forces a roll for powers that generally don’t have a roll associated.

In 1e, Mox also increased the risk of botching by making 1s and 2s count. That sounds like it could be fun again, I’d probably implement it.

Given description, I agree that it should probably effect ongoing abilities like Toughness and Mega-Attributes as well, and Quantum Disruption is basically a difficulty increase plus a mechanic for that, which is part of why I went with it, and that still seems a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadmanwalking View Post
    Moxinoquantamine is mentioned in the Aberrant book, and stated to inhibit nova powers...but how does that actually work mechanically? Does it mimic enforced Dormancy, or count as Quantum Disruption, or what?
    It’s similar to Quantum Disruption. Increase Difficulty of using Quantum powers. Aberrant 1e was +2 Difficulty per dose, which seems about right. Given the changes in system, I’d suggest that it also forces a roll for powers that generally don’t have a roll associated.

In 1e, Mox also increased the risk of botching by making 1s and 2s count. That sounds like it could be fun again, I’d probably implement it.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    I would model it as a drug that causes a condition increasing the difficulty of all powers by certain amount out the quantum cost of the powers. Not sure which one is better.

But your description using quantum disruption may be the best option. Maybe combine both, you have quantum disruption and the “effective rank” is defined by the dose consumed.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied

My current game has the players acting to capture and interrogate, rather than kill, Nova targets (and are doing so for hire, and thus well funded), and so will be making use of mox...but I rather rapidly realized I had no idea how that actually worked mechanically, which is inconvenient.

I mean, thematically, it seems like it should be something that started out as Quantum Disruption Q-Tech and then had the paradigm shifted...but what does paradigm shifted Quantum Disruption look like on a mechanical level? What dice pool is rolled for that and what level is it?

I can come up with something, obviously (at the moment, I'm leaning towards applying the Item's Enhancement as successes on Quantum Disruption directly and reflexively when a power or Mega-Attribute use is attempted, but with no roll either needed or available), but I'm curious what other people think is appropriate.
    Your solution sounds about right to me. Note that by the time you've paradigm shifted it to Nova Tech, it's no longer technically Quantum Disruption and doesn't have to play by precisely the same rules. In particular, it's now a drug, and should be modeled by the rules for how drugs work in the Storypath system. Things like how effective is a dose of the stuff, and what happens when you give multiple doses, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied

Considering Mox is, if memory tricks me not, a biochemical substance, i'd say a connection with Dormancy, a "passive/sleeper mode" any and all Novas can learn with relative ease, is far more probable x the workings of one specific an unusual quantum power (that is pretty much useless if not confronting other Novas, so why develop it in the first place) that also happens to be ranged, something that Mox definitely is not.

Just my two cents of thought on the subject so far.

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    Probably the easiest way to handle it is as a Condition/Persistent Complication that needs to be bought off to use powers, and the condition's severity rises with how much mox is in your system. This is a pretty simple way of handling it and probably requires the least effort. Just decide how much it's interfering, how long it'll last, and then go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X