Is independence possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is independence possible?

I know it seems pretty baked into the system that you are part of a larger organization but is it possible to work in a way to play as a member of a smaller organization or play an independent Talent? Would there ever be material produced to allow for such a possibility? I like the Allegiances available but you don't really have the option to play as a John McClain type who finds themselves in a mess on their own or play a group on the run from the law because they've been framed. Do you just have to house rule the Allegiances as more a thematic grouping rather then actual groups?

Is there thematic reasons for making it mechanically impossible to go it alone? Is it a purposeful choice to make it so that only collective action can effect positive change? I don't think that wanting to be a lone hero automatically means being some kind of Randian jerk that is out for themselves.

One thing I thought might be cool would be an "Allegiance" made up of the victims of a group that operates on the same philosophy as Mr. Glass from Unbreakable. An organization that feels driven to produce Talents and engineers disasters and other events that would create Talents. The group would have a common origin but otherwise would serve as a kind of miscellaneous group. The villainous group could be called "Talent Search".

It is not really impossible to go independent, you can go “Free Lance Talent” by coping the general idea of Free Lance Psion or Elite paths. It was used in Aeon and Aberrant, I would like to see it for Talents too.

The idea of paths in general is you can create or adapt any path you like, and it’s not different in the allegiances, but it’s important to keep in mind no man is a island, and even the most capable people are there thanks to their connections and friends.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Planguy View Post
      but is it possible to work in a way to play as a member of a smaller organization or play an independent Talent?
      Of course! Pages 40-41 of the Core rulebook have all the info you need to make yoru own Paths - a concept, connections, four Skills, and 15 dots of Edges. You can make a Path for anything, including 'independent', 'contractor', or whatever else you want. There's no requirement that your Society is one of the ones in the book, or even something that people would recognise as a 'society'.

I don't know if you have TC: Aeon as well as Core, but page 129 of Aeon has Freelance Psion as a Society Path.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Yeah, while the book has "origin, role, society" as the suggested paths... technically, all a path needs is a bundle of skills, edges, and an associated contact. There's nothing wrong with making "Rodeo Clown" one of your paths, if you think it's something that would have had a big impact in your character's life.

Comment

And if for some reason you need a "canon" reason to create a freelance path, TC:Aeon has a Freelance Psion path. So it's certainly something which happens within the setting.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I knew about the path creation but thought it might be off limits for Allegiance. Like there might be a strict meta reason why Talents need to group together. Definitely going to look into Aeon, but I got a weekly budget. But I'll want it eventually for science fiction resources.

Comment

Just because the rules say you're supposed to start with an Origin, Role, and Society Path doesn't mean you can't ask your Storyguide to make an exception. Maybe you're a 15-year-old prodigy who is too young to have already joined a reputable faction, so you take two levels of your Origin Path in place of a Society Path. Maybe you're a new PC joining an ongoing campaign and you became Inspired in the presence of the party; you obviously haven't received any training from their faction yet, so you take two levels in your Role Path. Maybe you're a member of the Sacred Fraternity of Stage Magicians and Escapologists; after all, the core book lists the Internation Congregation of Beer Enthusiasts as a valid name for a Society Path. Since I believe you can eventually take up to five separate Paths, you've got room to grow in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Planguy View Post
                Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I knew about the path creation but thought it might be off limits for Allegiance. Like there might be a strict meta reason why Talents need to group together. Definitely going to look into Aeon, but I got a weekly budget. But I'll want it eventually for science fiction resources.
                You don’t need to go to Aeon if you don’t have it. Just pick 4 skills and 15 dots of Edges that make sense to your character.

Optionally pick 2 role and 1 origin paths or 2 origin and 1 role paths instead of one of each. They work pretty close, so you can switch them as you wish.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                X