X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aeon] How to detect a superior.

I was thinking about superiors.

Is there a way to detect them?

I think that an aberscope won't detect anything due to the low quantum level.

But:
    • Will biosense detect that it is not fully human?
    • I think that quantum level is also too low to be detected by the sight.
    • Could precission understanding detect that it is not fully human?
    • Would subquantum sense detect the quantum energies?
    • Which kind of modifications would kirlian eye detect?
    What do you think?
    Thanks

My general opinion on Superiors and Quantum Signature.

The Sight detects Superiors as not normal human, but can’t set them as Novas/Aberrants.
    Precision Understand would understand they are not regular humans, but not point them as quantum users because it seams they can’t detect this kind of effect, only that they are not common.

Subquantum Sense would detect them as week Quantum users, but it would be hard to a QK to precisely set them as Novas/Aberrants because they still hold psi, and so a Noetic Latisse, that Novas lack.

Kirlian Eye would probably detect them as having a particularly strong noetic latisse, as it is reinforced by quantum and it’s not really detectable by VK. I would say they would have difficulty to use VK on a Superior for the quantum power in it, but not impossible to, maybe increase the difficulties by 1.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I'd want to know how the Talent Gift "Behold the Halo" detects them. Technically the rules as written says that Behold the Halo detects individuals who have a Source and Superiors don't have a Source. But I'd argue that a Superior is an artificial Nova who has their quantum ability triggered in such a way that it is entirely internalized, rendering them weaker and without the ability to actively manipulate quantum energies be free from the crazy juice. I'd say they technically have a Source, it's just only powering themselves.

Comment

I think a Talent familiar to Novas would say Superiors are Quantum 1 Novas, but a bit different (as they still have a Psi score, so they are not pure quantum)

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

So i’m doing my first readthru of Aeon Expansion, and the first paragraph of the Superiors chapter (page 61) explicitly says they are “Inspired”. AIUI, only Superiors and Talents are Inspired, while psions and novas are powered differently (quantum & subquantum) and are not types of Inspired. That correct?

Storywise, they sound like supersoldier-serum peak humans a la Captain America. They have attributes over 5, but they don’t have Mega-attributes like dark star novas (which I think is more like spiderman holding a ship together, or other superattribute mutants)? And they don’t have the incredible luck and scale-changing abilities of Talents. “Just” peak humans. I don’t understand what locking away psion or nova powers does, if anything. Possibly not “destroy psionic/nova potential” so much as “you could awaken into one of three categories, but Nakamura forces you into category Inspired”?

So given all that, what abilities can sense Talents? To detect a Superior, I’d start by looking at that, and then add on chemistry or biology “detect super-soldier serum” abilities. Plus almost all of them having cyber at least indirectly helps you id them.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonR View Post
            So i’m doing my first readthru of Aeon Expansion, and the first paragraph of the Superiors chapter (page 61) explicitly says they are “Inspired”. AIUI, only Superiors and Talents are Inspired, while psions and novas are powered differently (quantum & subquantum) and are not types of Inspired. That correct?
            Mesmerists and Stalwarts are also classified as "Inspired"

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Wait isn't Inspired more a general term for powered individuals?

Comment

Originally posted by Planguy View Post
                Wait isn't Inspired more a general term for powered individuals?
                I was told no when I assumed that when we were getting the Adventure! manuscript.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I think the more general (I don't think in universe) term is Source User or character with Source.

Comment

Maybe "Inspired" is the term for the hazy area of power use that falls between and outside of the whole "Psi" and "Quantum" power sources. I'm a used to the whole old Adventure! system where Z-Rays were a mix of Psi and Quantum energies so I'm not sure how Flux is going to factor into things. But maybe "Inspired" is referring to people who are powered by Flux (Talents) or people who are on the Psi or Quantum power spectrums who haven't broken through a specific threshold. Like Superiors are fairly Quantum associated but they are not full on Nova's.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

Originally posted by Slagheap View Post
                      I think the more general (I don't think in universe) term is Source User or character with Source.
                      In the core book, under "Powered edges" we get the following definition:
                      These Edges can only be purchased by characters who are powered: talents, psions, psiads, novas, etc.
                      So, I think the term should be powered.

The term "Inspired" I think that sometimes is used to refer to all of them, and sometimes only to talents.
                      However I like to use it to refer to all of them. All are inspired, one way or another.

Comment

As I recall Inspired is for characters who can use Flux for Dramatic Editing. Its why Daredevils, Mesmerists, and Stalwarts are Inspired in Adventure! but only Talents are Inspired in later books. Its been awhile since I read the expansion but if Superiors can use Dramatic Editing then they are Inspired otherwise its left over from a previous draft and wasn't caught.

Comment

Incorrect. According to TC:Adventure!, stalwarts and mesmerists are Novas and psiads, in that if you were to remove them from the Doyen barrier that encapsulates the Earth until the dawn of the Nova age, they would have access to Nova powers and psi Aptitudes. The Doyen barrier changes the environment and alters the way that Quantum, Psi, and Flux interact with each other; and in the high-Flux environment that existed in the wake of the Hammersmith Event (i.e., the Adventure era), this allowed Quantum and Psi users a limited ability to manipulate Flux as well.

That is, the difference between stalwart and Nova is environmental, not innate.

By this line of reasoning, if a Nova were to Erupt in the core book's modern-day setting, you'd get something not unlike a stalwart (because the Doyen barrier is still in place) but with his access to Dramatic Editing severely curtailed (because the high Flux environment isn't there): I'd restrict him to the special kind of Dramatic Editing unique to Stalwarts that TC:A! introduced, which is DE in name only: it's basically an import of the maxing out concept in a way that conforms with the Talent-derived game mechanics that stalwarts use. Conversely, if a high-Flux Event were to be set off during the Nova or Æon eras, I'd expect Talents to have access to DE in the same way that the Adventure era daredevils had (that is, it costs less for them and they can use the more easily attainable Momentum to fuel it); but I would not expect Novas and psiads or psions to gain access to Dramatic Editing: there's no Doyen barrier altering the relationship between Quantum, Psi, and Flux.

Also, “Inspired” is being used in the TC line as a catch-all term for all three types, not just for those aligned with Flux. Caveat: it may be restricted to “Talents, stalwarts, and mesmerists” — that is, those who are able to manipulate Flux, either because they're aligned with it (Talents) or because the Doyen barrier makes it possible (stalwarts and mesmerists).
                          Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-01-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I had missed the bit in Adventure! about the environment changing Stalwarts to Novas and the like.
                            However Dramatic Editing has no relation to environment or access to Flux due to the Doyen barrier. (Unless you want it to in your game.) The only reason I know this is I read all of the Ask the Dev forum while trawling for lore tidbits. From IanWatson in response to Glamourweaver:

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Would it be accurate to interpret that as an aspect of the environment rather than inherent power Stalwarts and Mesmerists have, since even Novas and Psiads on Inspiration Age Earth have access to it?

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Non-baselines in the Adventure! era get access to Dramatic Editing. In other eras it's limited to Talents. From a production standpoint this is for fun emulation of the pulp genre. In-world, the specifics of why are up to you and your group. Dramatic Editing itself is semi-non-diagetic, so for me the production explanation is sufficient.

As far as using the term Inspired, I cant seem to find why I was under the assumption that it only applies to Talents, Stalwarts, and Mesmerists. I will continue looking but it is very possible it was a random thought that my brain decided to think of as a cannon fact, in which case Dataweaver is correct.

Comment

Hm. So, “Inspired” is an inconclusive term. (And top of 61 does specify Superiors are Inspired) You don’t spend psi/quantum anything else to use an ability. Nippon figures “cyberware” is good enough explanation to keep the secret. They can “invent” Hardtech and biotech, but hardtech is easier. Nippon can detect the potential in children. It isn’t clear, but Sounds like there is a noticeable genetic difference before and after kaga-2.

Overall, this starts to sound like a medical condition “process of elimination “. Are they psychic? no. Are they novas? No. Are they normal humans? No. And that might be all yyou can learn without genetic testing. Detectable cyberware then makes sense as an excuse, with the caveat of “why this ability when no cyber remotely related to bulletproof skin”.

which then makes me wonder about other “conditions” that would give the same answers. How do human-looking aliens ping? Is someone controlled by Doyen just sense as psi, or osi + something? Are there any weird one-offs entities that fall into this category? For ex, vampire myths were caused by someone with a version of the process, spread by blood comtact. Elixir of immortality alchemists maybe stumbled across the formula. Do different “non psi/quantum critters” give different results, such that you can tell Superior from vampire from x? “ x-detector is giving nonsense results” may be vexing for players, but can be useful for a careful GM,

Comment

Working...
                              X