[Aberrant] Dorming and lifespan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Aberrant] Dorming and lifespan

I know in 1E novas kept their increased lifespans even when dormed down is this still the same in 2E?

In 2E don't they only get like 40 extra years added to their lifespan if they have some dots in mega-stamina, with them only gaining effective immortality with mega-stamina 6+? If they don't have mega-stamina wouldn't they only live as long as a healthy Baseline?

Seems a bit odd that Nova's get a little cheated on immortality when Psions and Psiads can get effective biological immortality with a single dot in a mode of Vitakinesis. What are the ways for Nova's to get expanded lifespans? Does Adaptation give expanded lifespan?

Comment

I would say that they keep the lifespan even when domed down. They don't lose their powers just kinda dampen them since Dormancy can only deal with 2 dots of Transcendence. The Quantum would still be present in their body to power the lifespan once their quantum got to 6 as at that point you would have 2 dots of Trancendence naturally.

Comment

Dorming down actually deals with Transcendence equal to your Quantum rating. So if you have Quantum 5 and Transcendence 5 if you are Dormed down nobody could tell something is off about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Planguy View Post
          In 2E don't they only get like 40 extra years added to their lifespan if they have some dots in mega-stamina, with them only gaining effective immortality with mega-stamina 6+? If they don't have mega-stamina wouldn't they only live as long as a healthy Baseline?

Seems a bit odd that Nova's get a little cheated on immortality when Psions and Psiads can get effective biological immortality with a single dot in a mode of Vitakinesis. What are the ways for Nova's to get expanded lifespans? Does Adaptation give expanded lifespan?
          According to a Dev comment, it's supposed to be interpreted as 40 years per dot of Mega-Stamina. Based solely on wording, Adaptation doesn't increase lifespan like it did in 1E. If you want to get into ambiguous rules lawyering though, you could argue that Mind Over Matter could be used to slow your aging if you are willing to stretch just a little. Also, arguments that Body Modification (Ageless) could be made.

Comment

Dormancy makes a nova harder to detect, but doesn't make them impossible to detect (or even empty their pool of quantum points), so their nova traits are still present to some limited degree. OTOH, a nova shutting down their powers should probably be considered to have shut down ALL of the effects of their powers. I'd split the difference and say they appear to continue aging while dormed down, but that this doesn't effect their actual lifespan when their powers reactivate. A nova with Mega-Stamina 1 and Dormancy will naturally live just as long as one with Mega-Stamina 1 and no Dormancy, but the first one will wind up looking older over time.

Comment

when Psions and Psiads can get effective biological immortality with a single dot in a mode of Vitakinesis.
              I’ve said it before, don’t rely on a single piece of in-character commentary as proof. Especially when said in-character commentary is essentially ‘yeah, we’ve looked at them for less than 20 years and they don’t seem to be aging much. So…. Immortal, sure.’

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I’ve said it before, don’t rely on a single piece of in-character commentary as proof. Especially when said in-character commentary is essentially ‘yeah, we’ve looked at them for less than 20 years and they don’t seem to be aging much. So…. Immortal, sure.’

I actually like that bit of in-character commentary and think it makes sense with the pseudo-science of how Vitakinesis works. The basic Vitakinetic power "Knit" makes sense as repairing the damage of the aging process, effectively making someone with a dot in a Vitakinesis mode biologically unaging. It's a nice example of how Psi powers, in general lower in power then Quantum powers, can still outshine Quantum powers in some ways because they sidestep some issues rather than doing what Quantum powers do, which is usually brute force things. I just figure Nova's should also have access to biological immortality, although requiring more power to force the issue.

Comment

I actually like that bit of in-character commentary and think it makes sense with the pseudo-science of how Vitakinesis works.
                  I’m glad you do and people are certainly able to make that (house rule) canon in their games. My main point is to highlight the futility of an argument lamenting that novas only get +40 years per dot with their mechanics, when psion mechanics don’t actually give anything at all.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I’m glad you do and people are certainly able to make that (house rule) canon in their games. My main point is to highlight the futility of an argument lamenting that novas only get +40 years per dot with their mechanics, when psion mechanics don’t actually give anything at all.
                    For that matter, I can't actually recall if there are mechanics for aging anywhere in the Continuum books?

Comment

Originally posted by Shalmaneser View Post
                      For that matter, I can't actually recall if there are mechanics for aging anywhere in the Continuum books?
                      There aren’t mechanics for aging. Mostly because they’re irrelevant 99% of the time (and word count that could be used elsewhere). If a campaign is going to run long enough for characters to grow old, the SG will have to decide what that means for the characters. If the game is going to be cross-generational with the same characters, the SG will mostly handwave requirements - either the nova’s increased life span does it, or psions are practically immortal, or a stasis event happened, or whatever else makes sense for the campaign.

The base length of character life spans is something some people want to know, but it’s almost never actually useful in game.

Comment

I think someone mentioned a mega edge called slowed aging that was in rules when in development I suppose you could bring it back or make your own mega edge of a follow up one that needs slowed aging as a preq.

Comment

Well, the manuscript had this Mega Edge, and it was greatly described as useless at best.

Hinestly, if you want a Immortal Nova, bam, the Nova is immortal, there is no reason to not be, neither there is any reason to spend points in it.

The point is, the chance you play a game it is relevant is low, and if you are playing, your nova IS Immortal, otherwise the campaign would be pointless.

In general Chronicles last for a few weeks or months, and a set of chronicles, if there is no time gapping, will last a few years, maybe decades. If you need you nova to live this entire duration in good shape, the first dot in Mega Stamina covers it (in RAW), more than that you don’t need rules to cover it at all, the nova will just live for as long as it is necessary for the game.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I get what your saying I'm mostly curious for story and setting purposes where you could play up baselines jealousy when it's noticed the reduced aging and extended lifespans of novas, which can border on immortality.

Comment

Then make it whatever you think is right for your game. It's not going to have any mechanical impact on the game. So do what's best for the story you're trying to tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X