X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhiannon Vashti
    started a topic What Happened To The Red Cross

What Happened To The Red Cross

The Red Cross were one of the premier aid organisations, existing for over a century by at least 2020. What caused them to disappear by the Æon Era?

• Tegyrius
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    That sounds like the sort of thing that would make an interesting subject for a nonfiction book. 🤔
    We're veering way off topic here, but Pro Publica has been looking at the ARC's issues for years. Start here: https://www.propublica.org/article/t...ecret-disaster

- C.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post
    I'm a bit late on this one, but as someone who works in a field adjacent to the American Red Cross, I will say that it has lost a massive amount of capability over the last five to ten years. Contributing factors include a general falloff in volunteerism across the country, increasing training and commitment requirements that have driven away a lot of "casual" volunteers (i.e., those who have other opportunities and interests), and a corporate management structure that has eliminated or alienated many of the former full-time positions and long-time volunteer cadre. Services that once were deployable in 24 hours are now available in 72 hours... maybe.

Now, I can only speak to those issues in the American Red Cross, not the ICRC or the other national organizations. But that is a path to potential irrelevance and eventual absorption that aligns with what we see in Aeon.

- C.
    That sounds like the sort of thing that would make an interesting subject for a nonfiction book. 🤔

Leave a comment:

• Tegyrius
    replied
    I'm a bit late on this one, but as someone who works in a field adjacent to the American Red Cross, I will say that it has lost a massive amount of capability over the last five to ten years. Contributing factors include a general falloff in volunteerism across the country, increasing training and commitment requirements that have driven away a lot of "casual" volunteers (i.e., those who have other opportunities and interests), and a corporate management structure that has eliminated or alienated many of the former full-time positions and long-time volunteer cadre. Services that once were deployable in 24 hours are now available in 72 hours... maybe.

Now, I can only speak to those issues in the American Red Cross, not the ICRC or the other national organizations. But that is a path to potential irrelevance and eventual absorption that aligns with what we see in Aeon.

- C.

Leave a comment:

• Rhiannon Vashti
    replied
    Thank you all for your answers

Leave a comment:

• TwoDSix
    replied
    So basically it existed, it started to dissolve as Novas began making it obsolete and taking the money away into their medical ventures, and then it's separate elements kind of struggled along until the Aesclepians arose and could start providing support again?

I like that, and it also makes it a lot easier for me to get across why the Nova Age might have been viewed as a Bad Thing even in it's time.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Midway into the Nova Age, most hospitals and medical services were operated by novas and their sympathizers. The Red Cross as an institution was already on the way out, having been replaced by quantum medicine, much of it privatized.

Prometheus Unbound, p. 15: "[Æsculapian founder Abraham Scherer] knit together an alliance of smaller disaster relief organizations." These are mostly the same organizations that made up the Red Cross and other similar groups.

Leave a comment:

• Firanai
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Well I assume the Æon Trinity and the Æsclepians subsumed them if they still existed going into the Æon era.

But going back much further, I’d just treat it as a historic divergence that the Neptune Foundation replaced their place in society in the 20th Century.

I don't remember the books saying anything about the red cross, but like galourweaver said, I also assumed that in the trinity continuum universe the aeon society multiple charitable organizations ended up absorbing, displacing or replacing the big ones we have in the real world, like the red cross. For me, the reason why they would disappear, if they existed and were independent in this timeline, is twofold. On one hand, the aeon society is so much better at their job than anybody else (It helps to have a time traveller looking out for them and multiple talents) that it simply outcompetes the red cross and makes them largely irrelevant. This trend only exacerbates when you put novas in the mix, with project utopia and other novas making them even more irrelevant. By the time of the aberrant war, they're but a pale shadow of what they used to be, and so they either quietly disappear or most likely get absorbed by the aeon council. However, I like to believe that in the aeon era the Aesculapian order is the red cross resurrected, moulded and inspired by what it represented.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    It seems pretty simple for the events between Aberrant and Æon to have diminished the Red Cross movement; esp. in face of the rise of other groups better situated to handle things.

The big thing is that there is no "The Red Cross." The Red Cross and Red Crescent movement consists of almost 200 individual organizations (mostly based on national affiliation or international cooperation between all the national ones). The current state of the movement is heavily invested in the post-WWII Western dominated international order. A huge amount of the funding comes from North America and Europe, and most of the rules around how they can act across borders is rooted in UN resolutions.

The Nova era on its own would be very difficult on the movement because... there's Novas around. Even with very well meaning Novas, their power has all sorts of consequences for larger society. It's one of the long standing issues with superhero fiction: do superpowered beings bend to the law, or does the law bend to them? You're a Nova that wants to save lives and give aid and comfort to those in need. You join your local Red Cross/Crescent organization to be of service. You start running into red tap, rules, and so on that keep stopping you from using your powers to their fullest extent; meaning people die that you could have saved. Some Novas might be able to accept this, but most would either end up breaking the rules and undermining the movement's legitimacy, or quitting to join with like-minded Novas and undermine the movement's perceived effectiveness.

Then there's the default ending of the Nova era that the Æon era presumes for its purposes. A huge amount of the wealth, power, and aid resources that makes the movement possible has blown up (literally). There's only really three ways things could go. First, the movement dies at an international level, and mostly withers since the "brand" has lost its value. Second, the movement as suggested by glamourweaver, just gets taken over by one of the ascendant organizations of the Æon era. Third, it full on collapses under the weight of things as too much global disaster and strife, with too little resources to do anything about it, stretches it until it breaks; and then other organizations step in to fill the void.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhiannon Vashti View Post
    The Red Cross were one of the premier aid organisations, existing for over a century by at least 2020. What caused them to disappear by the Æon Era?
    Well I assume the Æon Trinity and the Æsclepians subsumed them if they still existed going into the Æon era.

But going back much further, I’d just treat it as a historic divergence that the Neptune Foundation replaced their place in society in the 20th Century.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X