Modern Day Trinity product?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Day Trinity product?

I think I heard that there was going to be a trinity product going wit the idea that psychic powers appeared in the modern day. Is that official, or did I just hear someone saying: it'd be nice...

I think I saw it in one of the Monday updates, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Comment

I think it is a Tasty Bit they are working on. Not sure when it will come out, but when it does it will be the last Wednesday of a month.

Comment

Found it. Tasty Bit - Psions in the Modern Day, announced in first drafts two weeks back.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

There is a chapter in Aexpanssion that is all about Psions in modern days. They probably will expand it and give more solid options (like paths, societies, etc).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Fair enough. My own approach would be to go with modern-day mesmerists instead; but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              Fair enough. My own approach would be to go with modern-day mesmerists instead; but that's just me.
              Æon Æxpansion already provides rules for psiads, which would be modern day mesmerists. I do wonder why the text specifies "psions from Æon in the modern day" when it should probably read "psiads from Æon in the modern day" unless this is a very variant scenario.

Comment

If you go with the notion that mesmerists are what psiads were while the doyen shield was up, and that the doyen shield wasn't broken until the aberrant age was unleashed, then there should be mesmerous in the modern day, not psiads.

But yeah; I thought the mention of psions was weird, too.

Comment

Side question - What is difference between Mesmerists and Psiads? Are those not simply 'wild psychic', before Doyen flux shield lowered?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

As a simple description, Mesmerists powers are not sequential, not tied directly to modes or aptitudes, less flexible in general and less powerful. They can do things Psiads can, but they must learn each effect separately, instead of the more flexible effect of mode dots.
                    You can see this as both an effect of the Doyen barrier and a lack of depth in the powers.

in game terms, Mesmerists work closer to Talents systems (they work exactly like talents, but with different Gifts and gifts keywords to pick), and less like Psions.

Comment

Now back to the theme, I really think they mean Psion and not Psiads. The idea is not Psiads in modern world, as they are present by default, but parallel realities where Psions emerged in modern day, and not in the future.

Psiads are too few in the setting to cause much of an issue, while Psions comes in large quantities. Also they are made, not natural manifestation (can be different), what puts them in a more controlled situation in the hands of the ones capable of creating them.
                      Last edited by Mateus Luz; 06-21-2022, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                        Now back to the theme, I really think they mean Psion and not Psiads. The idea is not Psiads in modern world, as they are present by default, but parallel realities where Psions emerged in modern day, and not in the future.

Psiads are too few in the setting to cause much of an issue, while Psions comes in large quantities. Also they are made, not natural manifestation (can be different), what puts them in a more controlled situation in the hands of the ones capable of creating them.
                        I don't think I agree with this. The text specifically states:
                        The next Tasty Bit is on the move! This will be a new Allegiance for Trinity Core Rulebook, allowing people to play psions from Æon in the modern day!
                        The implication is that this is a new Allegiance for the core rulebook's modern setting. You can't have a psion Path in the core modern setting, because they don't exist in the core modern setting. This is why I wrote that the proper term should probably be psiad unless this is a very variant scenario, and if it were an extreme variant scenario, they'd have probably touted it as a new modern setting instead of a new Allegiance.

I also don't think there are too few psiads to provide the core for a new Æon Allegiance. The Anima book indicates Dr. Bhurano and a group of psiad followers (ie. an Allegiance) were poking around the city of Cascade in the 2180s. Some of them even had to hide because they risked being recognized as super powered individuals from the Aberrant era. There were also canonically at least two psiads in Æon during the Aberrant era. If anyone is going to have a group of psiads working for them during the modern period, it'll be the people who've been studying them since the 1920s. Your characters may be one of only one or two teams of psychics working for the Allegiance, but Æon definitely has the reach to pull in five to ten extraordinary individuals.

Comment

The “Psions in the Modern Day” chapter in Æon Æxpansion is about alternate settings; it does not say that psions are a thing in the modern day setting; only that if you want them to be, here are some things to consider.

Comment

As you said, the text says allegiance to play Psions from Æon in modern day. It’s about Psions, and the allegiance is probably what made them, what turned the latents into Psions. If Eddy says Psions, it’s not Psiads, it’s Psions, he has a plan for that. I agree Psiads are the modern world psychics, but this is about another timeline in the continuum.

As an interesting comment on how I would add Psions to modern setting, the Russian side of the Transcendent Alliance is focused in psychic powers using drugs (Core, page 191): “The Soviet division specialized in psychic research and physical enhancement using various powerful drugs.”

They could easily be the society creating the Psions in modern day, actually KGB would have taken control of it. Some oligarchs from Russia end up with it in their hands and now they are exporting Psions for the highest bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

That is what I would use as well, if only for the sake of less bookkeeping. I would do the same for Novas by using Stalwart rules.
                              Last edited by MythAdvocate; 06-23-2022, 06:51 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                              Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Working...
                              X