[Trinity Fan Era] Cosmic Minds - Psi in 1950s-70s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Trinity Fan Era] Cosmic Minds - Psi in 1950s-70s

I have idea for small Trinity era - based on experiments with Psi in 50s-70s, after LSD was first synthesized on November 16, 1938 and first real ingestion on April 19, 1943. In 50s, CIA started program of Project MKUltra to expand their soldiers with psychic abilities from hallucinogenic expansions. In 60s counterculture used drugs to elevated to higher states of consciousness - maybe some of them succeed in it? 🤔

And Cosmic part can easily by USA - USRR Space Race in background. 😎

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Quite a good idea! This gives me some serious Jerry-Cornelius-Vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uemp_RDmgi0

Comment

I really like the idea. Is teh idea to keep it more or less focused in the Cold War? There are so many good ideas for spy games and adding some psi to it may be really fun...

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      House Rules - Quantum - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
      House Rules - Psi - House Rules for Trinity Continuum: Æon
      Fists and Tomes - Inspired Martial Arts and Mysticism for Talents

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        I really like the idea. Is teh idea to keep it more or less focused in the Cold War? There are so many good ideas for spy games and adding some psi to it may be really fun...
        If you like, it certainly can be. MKUltra is already mentioned as inspiration.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Main question - HOW to make Psi, even in limited fashion, as experiments in 50s-70s? Sara Kaur is somewhere in India there, as first (?) Psiad. No Prometheus Chambers ( yet ) and only starting experiments? Experiments leading to Moment of Inspiration then?

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Cap psi in 3-4 and only psiads (mesmerists are basically psiads), or play with Mesmerists from Adventure!

Or even better, make psi available only using inspired tech (psi induction drugs, crystaltech items, things like that).

The last option is to use the Aexpanssion ideas of Psions in modern world (that we will have as a Tasty bit soon).
            Last edited by Mateus Luz; 07-21-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

SK Bhurano might be involved with MKUltra, working out exactly how Psi even works. This could be the era in which the subquantum universe is riscovered, along with the “impossible to access” Quantum universe.

I’d say 90% of the MKUltra experiments would be a load of hogwash even in the Trinity Continuum, with just enough genuine success to keep the ball rolling.

I’d restrict psiads to low Psi ratings and low levels 1 or 2 dots at most in various Modes. Bhurano has no one teaching her. She’s figuring this all out on her OWN.

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                SK Bhurano might be involved with MKUltra, working out exactly how Psi even works. This could be the era in which the subquantum universe is riscovered, along with the “impossible to access” Quantum universe.

I’d say 90% of the MKUltra experiments would be a load of hogwash even in the Trinity Continuum, with just enough genuine success to keep the ball rolling.

I’d restrict psiads to low Psi ratings and low levels 1 or 2 dots at most in various Modes. Bhurano has no one teaching her. She’s figuring this all out on her OWN.
                We know from Dr. Bhurano's correspondence with Michael Donighal in Adventure! that she is a very ethical researcher, so would never have been involved in anything like Project MKUltra, even if the CIA were willing to involve a non-white, non-American woman as one of the researchers for their often wildly illegal experiments.

Comment

Ah! Did not know that! Thanks! Man, I can’t wait for TC Adventure!..

Comment

I think this is an awesome idea, plus I love psychonauts

Just like Aether and the Hammersmith incidents faded with time, I don't see why we couldn't have another similar event happen. Perhaps Bhurano created a special batch of LSD that activates psion potential, but only temporary (and with side effects), it then gets stolen and ends up in the hands of several organizations who try, and fail to replicate it. In the meantime Bhurano's organization, with the help of Aeon, hunts down the remaining batches and organizations till the end of the 70's, all the while using her skills to erase everyone's memories.

Comment

In Core there is a allegiance called Transcendent Alliance that was split in 2, one half was focused in cyber-enhancement and the other into psychics. The psychics were from the USSR side, and KGB stole most of their work. Worth to check, Core page 190.

Comment

Originally posted by Firanai View Post
                        Perhaps Bhurano created a special batch of LSD that activates psion potential, but only temporary (and with side effects),
                        Dr. Bhurano knew that new mesmerists and stalwarts could be created by accident if an existing mesmerist or stalwart used their Inspired powers on the person. She was ethically against empowering new people, especially as many early mesmerists went crazy and became villains. It is horribly unethical to try giving powers to people when you lack their fully informed consent, and it is impossible to gain fully informed consent when you yourself don't know the likely consequences of the experiment.

Michael Donighal, OTOH, felt it was a great idea to go around and try to empower as many people as possible. After all, it isn't as if granting random people poorly understood powers could possibly turn them into deformed and insane aberrations who would go on to bring ruin to large swaths of the Earth, right?

tl:dr - you can't just inject people with radioactive substances or shove weird drugs down their throats and be absolved of the consequences because you didn't bother doing the research that would have proven you were likely to give them super-cancer. If someone made super LSD, it wouldn't have been Dr. Bhurano.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                          Dr. Bhurano knew that new mesmerists and stalwarts could be created by accident if an existing mesmerist or stalwart used their Inspired powers on the person. She was ethically against empowering new people, especially as many early mesmerists went crazy and became villains. It is horribly unethical to try giving powers to people when you lack their fully informed consent, and it is impossible to gain fully informed consent when you yourself don't know the likely consequences of the experiment.

Michael Donighal, OTOH, felt it was a great idea to go around and try to empower as many people as possible. After all, it isn't as if granting random people poorly understood powers could possibly turn them into deformed and insane aberrations who would go on to bring ruin to large swaths of the Earth, right?

tl:dr - you can't just inject people with radioactive substances or shove weird drugs down their throats and be absolved of the consequences because you didn't bother doing the research that would have proven you were likely to give them super-cancer. If someone made super LSD, it wouldn't have been Dr. Bhurano.
                          The way I pictured it, she created it as an accident or byproduct of other research, not as a way to force people to become psiads. I just wanted to connect the triggering event with Bhurano. In any case it's just an idea, it can be done in other ways without having her involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                            In Core there is a allegiance called Transcendent Alliance that was split in 2, one half was focused in cyber-enhancement and the other into psychics. The psychics were from the USSR side, and KGB stole most of their work. Worth to check, Core page 190.
                            Yeah, I’d always wondered what happened to them, come the Nova Age...

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
                              For me, Dr. Bhurano is shown in TC 2E canon timeline in era books as some kind of 'saint', that always does 'good by withstanding' any actions about their powers.😕 I know she is much more restrained from Donighal, but as saying say 'Everyone live long enough to make a mistake'.

I think it's totally possible that Bhurano made some special kind LSD in 1950s to expand general understanding of Psi - only to regret this decision, when this tech was taken by other factions from her.

And it's even more pointing her then that to understand this phenomena of Psi, she needs to hide her researches and not make similar mistake. We have then both Psi research starting even in 1950s and even more lesson for Bhurano to distrust groups other than herself. 😎
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-30-2022, 03:00 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X